General Election Speculation

NotThePars

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

The SNP will get crucified if they don't vote for an election. Yes people in the know will know it's the right decision but the average joe soap on street will get the Tory BBC Scotland shite saying the SNP blew a chance to remove the Torys. Fluffy will be on his pedestal

Blackford has already said in Parliament during his speech that he won't back a General Election. 

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

The SNP will get crucified if they don't vote for an election. Yes people in the know will know it's the right decision but the average joe soap on street will get the Tory BBC Scotland shite saying the SNP blew a chance to remove the Torys. Fluffy will be on his pedestal

Worse than they'd be slaughtered if they voted for it, and Johnson set a date after October 31 and forced through no deal?

Suppose they could vote for it knowing that Labour won't, so it will never pass, but then the line would be that they tried to help force through no deal.

Given all the opposition parties are against an election now I don't see how the SNP voting against could be used against them

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I doubt it. Nobody's buying it. Even the Tories accusing Corbyn of running scared don't sound convinced anymore. Boris has had a shocker of a week and is getting battered from all angles.

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Doing anything that doesn't help prevent no deal first will not help the SNP. The independence at all costs wing will be fine with it. But any on the fence voter will not look kindly on seeing the SNP put independence with a no deal vote first. 

4 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Is this a "say the opposite of reality" day for you?

He said, and I'll quote

".....however we will not be party to the Prime Ministers games and allow the Prime Minister to use an election to force a no deal Brexit through the backdoor. Simply put the SNP cannot support this motion (for a General Election) tonight because we do not trust the Prime Minister". 

As I said he has clearly stated he will not back at General Election! 

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

He said, and I'll quote

".....however we will not be party to the Prime Ministers games and allow the Prime Minister to use an election to force a no deal Brexit through the backdoor. Simply put the SNP cannot support this motion (for a General Election) tonight because we do not trust the Prime Minister". 

As I said he has clearly stated he will not back at General Election! 

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think they will be some thickos who do not understand the subtleties of this but there’s no point trying to educate such people.

16 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I doubt it. Nobody's buying it. Even the Tories accusing Corbyn of running scared don't sound convinced anymore. Boris has had a shocker of a week and is getting battered from all angles.

Boris has been a shite Prime Minister. These useless politicians on all sides of the house should have voted for the withdrawal deal Theresa May brought to the house over and over again. 

But you don't need a crystal ball to see how this is going to run. Johnston will get his General Election and with the support of the Brexit Party, who I reckon will work with the Conservatives to not oppose each others candidates, they will win the election with a substantial majority. 

Bob Seely (con, Isle of Wight) has just been on his feet.

His colleague, just behind him, was cradling two phones and communicating.

It seemed to me like he suddenly realised how furtive this looked and spent the rest of the time the camera was on him looking shifty.

I'm not really sure that it is appropriate to trust a Tory.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's very simple there is going to be a General election but only when no deal is off the table.

That's not possible. All they can force is for Johnston to ask for an extension from the EU. The next parliament would decide whether not a no deal Brexit would be part of the negotiation strategy. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

To stand any chance at all in a General Election, the Tories will have to drop any notion of moderate, one-nation conservatism. 

They'll make the final half-step to become a far-right, populist, nationalist party and hope they can hoover up the gammon vote on the back of more lies, a promise of a no-deal and Trump-lite garbage from Johnson. 

But where will that leave 'centralist' Tory voters....those who aren't extremists or no-dealers and who are appalled by the cull of established, experienced moderate Tory MP's by a PM that is controlled by the rabid Dominic Cummings ?

There was a decent article today which suggested that while the Tories will pick up working class seats in the north, they'll struggle in their middle-class heartlands in the south and south-west where the LibDems will scoop up the moderate Tory vote.

The certainties of UK politics are out the window for this one. All it would take would be for Labour and the LibDems to come to agreement over 100 or so seats in England and agree to throw everything at a Remain/No Deal battle. 

More than 50% of voters are Remainers. Some clever tactical voting could see the country rid of the stench of Johnson and his band of fanatics.

2 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

That's not possible. All they can force is for Johnston to ask for an extension from the EU. The next parliament would decide whether not a no deal Brexit would be part of the negotiation strategy. 

16 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Boris has been a shite Prime Minister. These useless politicians on all sides of the house should have voted for the withdrawal deal Theresa May brought to the house over and over again. 

But you don't need a crystal ball to see how this is going to run. Johnston will get his General Election and with the support of the Brexit Party, who I reckon will work with the Conservatives to not oppose each others candidates, they will win the election with a substantial majority. 

Who let this drooling simpleton out of the other thread?

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Bob Seely (con, Isle of Wight) has just been on his feet.

His colleague, just behind him, was cradling two phones and communicating.

It seemed to me like he suddenly realised how furtive this looked and spent the rest of the time the camera was on him looking shifty.

I'm not really sure that it is appropriate to trust a Tory.

It's a bit unfair to single out just one MP as looking untrustworthy tonight amongst that rabble. 

The only time there was any silence for the house to listen to someone speaking was when Ken Clarke spoke. 

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He’s one of our own, he’s one of our own!

AdLib Adlib he’s one of our own.

The commons librarians should organise a coup, they could bamboozle the MPs with arcane rules until Ad Lib is appointed Lord Protector.