General Election Speculation

NotThePars

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Challenge against Johnson's porouging of Parliament fails. 

Correct decision - this isn't a matter for the courts. That said, I hope the judgment will note the naked opportunism of Johnson in doing what he did. 

Still the cases in Belfast and London to come.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Interesting..

So we are heading for a general election as a proxy for a referendum, with Tories campaigning to Brexit, deal or no deal, on 31 October.

The fucking muppets will lose. Brexit has a majority in parliamentary seats, not in the country. Remain parties are more split between parties with strong local roots, the LDs, SNP and Labour while Brexit Party will melt under the assault of real political parties ground war. 

If they support this then its allowing Boris to pick the ground for a general election that strongly favours him. Stupid c***s. 

So far we've had:

• Tim Shipman making up an embarrassing altercation for Corbyn with Dominic Cummings
  • Someone insisting last night's vote was good for Boris, actually
  • James Ball and Helen Lewis insisting criticism of Daniel Finkelstein preferring No Deal to Corbyn is anti-semitism
  • Journos pretending they can't wrap their heads around the opposition strategy

All in all it's set to be a banner day for British journalism.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
...which is exactly why there won't be one. Johnson has blown his chance of controlling the timetable, and is currently hanging on grimly waiting for a grown-up to tell him what to do. Unfortunately, Cummings has been weeding anyone with a semblance of sense out of the party.
Johnson has blown any semblance of competrence or authority he may have had. Yesterday was absolutely delicious, with Tory after Tory getting a spanking - from Corbyn, Blackford, Bercow, their own fúcking side.
Nobody can come back from that performance, especially if reports of the New Machiavelli wandering the lobbies in a drunken rant are anywhere near accurate. If Cummings gets a deserved comeuppance, I simply cannot wait to see how johnson performs without anyone to pull his strings.
Highlight for me had to be "I'm having a GE" - "Not until we're ready, you're not". Boom, mic drop. It's too early for me to be crowing to those who dismissed Labour and Corbyn as ineffectual, but I've never, never seen a Government so comprehensively eviscerated in one day in the HoC.
I am looking forward to PMQs today. Petty, maybe, but there's little can compete for entertainment value with a Tory getting a kicking.

That's a good post, but giving Corbyn credit for that is ridiculous

Opinions, etc...

I realise it goes entirely against the grain for a lot of people, as the constant propaganda has to have some effect, bu the fact is that Corbyn is currently watching his third Tory leader go down in flames.

And he's still there.

Labour's move here is to enforce an extension of A50 and push the election to November. The new leader bounce will be out of Boris's step and he will look like he is being bullied by Corbyn on Brexit, a poor look for his populist image of "getting things done". All they have to do is refuse his pleading for a bill to dissolve parliament before the anti No Deal legislation is on the books then run down the clock till his poroguing of parliament bites him on the bum. Only offer to support dissolution of parliament with a A50 extension nailed. 

Boris will try to get an election at any cost before Oct31 so he can win off the back of his bullshit posturing. 

If they allow parliament to dissolve for an election before Oct 31, No Deal is pretty much nailed on. 

Edited Off course I still think the best course is a VONC and installing a caretaker coalition but it does not look like that has legs atm. 

Edited by dorlomin

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Provided the extension is asked for, and granted. 

Parliament can't keep ruling this out eternally - the date is set unless the EU agrees to extend it, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it other than revoking Article 50

There you go - if it comes to it, that is, and always has been, an option. One which allows us to reset the clock and restart negotiations like adults - albeit having to get the EU back onside after three years of re-fighting WWII.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Yes, but this is not currently a feasible option. This could indeed be done at any time. 

Whether revocation would become a  serious consideration in the event an extension was refused, we would see if it happened. We know there is currently not majority support for no deal, but pushed to it would the majority arrive for no deal or revocation?

Why not, pray? We already have a demonstrable majority against no-deal. If the choice becomes that or revoke A50, you'll be amazed at the speed they can get revocation in front of the HoC, through the other place, and onto the statute book.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

It very much comes with a careful what you wish for sticker attached. 

Fighting an election on FPTP like a second referendum is dangerous. 

Johnson lost badly last night, but this is a war and not a battle. 

Agreed, which is why Labour at least, and I am sure others, will not be doing so. We're past leave or remain now - and by that I mean the electorate, not just those of us who pay attention.

In or out, people are being sanctioned and suffering. Where have all those homeless come from? Squaddies are coming home and ending up in shop doorways. Toungsters can see no prospect of their own home, or even a secure job. It is becoming clear that none of the above has got anything to do with the EU. Had this lot got Brexit finalised on time, they might have got aeway with it. As it is, more and more questions are being asked, and answers come there none.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Challenge against Johnson's porouging of Parliament fails. 

Correct decision - this isn't a matter for the courts. That said, I hope the judgment will note the naked opportunism of Johnson in doing what he did. 

Also, now a lot more people know when the lying bástard made the decision to shut down Parliament.

59 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

So far we've had:

• Tim Shipman making up an embarrassing altercation for Corbyn with Dominic Cummings
  • Someone insisting last night's vote was good for Boris, actually
  • James Ball and Helen Lewis insisting criticism of Daniel Finkelstein preferring No Deal to Corbyn is anti-semitism
  • Journos pretending they can't wrap their heads around the opposition strategy

All in all it's set to be a banner day for British journalism.

Oh, you've just GOT to post us a link for that! I love a bit of newspeak and doublethnk, me