General Election Speculation

NotThePars

The removal of so many Tory whips complicates an arithmetic that would otherwise favour the gammon side in an FPTP election though. If a dozen of them decide to stand again then that could split the Tory vote in their constituencies and either let a third party in or keep the incumbent in place: that could lead to another hung parliament, which would be fucking hilarious. 

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think Boris will sit tight. Parliament can pass as many 'laws' as they like but he has executive power and can't be forced to agree an extension.

If Parliament is unhappy with the PM then the mechanism is VONC not shonky legislation.

A I understand it, that stands for Prime Minister, not President. It's either a minor point, or a completely different form of governance. One of the two.

23 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Labour's move here is to enforce an extension of A50 and push the election to November. The new leader bounce will be out of Boris's step and he will look like he is being bullied by Corbyn on Brexit, a poor look for his populist image of "getting things done". All they have to do is refuse his pleading for a bill to dissolve parliament before the anti No Deal legislation is on the books then run down the clock till his poroguing of parliament bites him on the bum. Only offer to support dissolution of parliament with a A50 extension nailed. 

Boris will try to get an election at any cost before Oct31 so he can win off the back of his bullshit posturing. 

If they allow parliament to dissolve for an election before Oct 31, No Deal is pretty much nailed on. 

Edited Off course I still think the best course is a VONC and installing a caretaker coalition but it does not look like that has legs atm. 

Pretty much agree with all of this, except for the idea that there is still any vestige of a "Boris bounce" in play. Johnson displayed such incompetence yesterday that I am worried there may not be too much hilarity left for PMQs today - a pantomime, as we know, but the bit of "that politics" that Mr and Mrs Average see and take note of.

The best decision this fúcknugget's handlers made throughout his leadership campaign was keeping the cúnt away from cameras and microphones. That is no longer an option.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

EDkv-L-XUAAsXlv.jpg

A mate of mine (recently left the Tories lol) regularly holds up **** Shipman and Montie as an example of Conservative thinkers but they're really just gossips with WhatsApp contacts inside No10. 

ETA: Creased at their first name being starred out on this hell site. 

Edited by NotThePars

5 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Ok looks like my panic is calming down a bit. Everyone but the buffoon can see the blindingly obvious. 

Source: FT Journalist.  You'll forgive me if I take that with a wheelbarrow of salt - especially as Corbyn basically ruled that out - on camera, national TV, around fourteen hours ago.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Source: FT Journalist.  You'll forgive me if I take that with a wheelbarrow of salt - especially as Corbyn basically ruled that out - on camera, national TV, around fourteen hours ago.

What's that got to do with the views of the PLP who have been seventeen moves ahead of the Mumbleclown at every turn?

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

So far we've had:

• Tim Shipman making up an embarrassing altercation for Corbyn with Dominic Cummings
  • Someone insisting last night's vote was good for Boris, actually
  • James Ball and Helen Lewis insisting criticism of Daniel Finkelstein preferring No Deal to Corbyn is anti-semitism
  • Journos pretending they can't wrap their heads around the opposition strategy

All in all it's set to be a banner day for British journalism.

🤔

This PMQ is fucking mental. Johnson appears to believe his job is to ask Corbyn what he's going to do about Brexit, rather than answer questions about his own policies. It's an original tactic, I'll grant you, but Raaab and Javid really don't look happy. Good.

25 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, you've just GOT to post us a link for that! I love a bit of newspeak and doublethnk, me

Quentin Letts and Toby Young.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/corbyn-not-boris-was-the-real-loser-last-night/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

IMG_20190904_121220.thumb.jpg.9958673a5d6cffb71af32e40ca234a9e.jpg

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This PMQ is fucking mental. Johnson appears to believe his job is to ask Corbyn what he's going to do about Brexit, rather than answer questions about his own policies. It's an original tactic, I'll grant you, but Raaab and Javid really don't look happy. Good.

Wouldn't you have thought Corbyn should have said - "I'm supposed to be asking you questions"

11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Thanks, mate. Cheering me right up, the last couple of days. Some of these cúnts just can't feel the wind changing, can they?

Meanwhile, in PMQs, Johnson continues to ASK questions, rather than even think about answering them. Sunlight is indeed the best disinfectant.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Wouldn't you have thought Corbyn should have said - "I'm supposed to be asking you questions"

I kinda thought that, but he's simply rolled every question out with an introductory statement that the previous one wasn't answered. I'd have been more direct, but I'm not Leader of the Party.

ETA: Blackford just there using exactly the tactic you and I would.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Thanks, mate. Cheering me right up, the last couple of days. Some of these cúnts just can't feel the wind changing, can they?

Meanwhile, in PMQs, Johnson continues to ASK questions, rather than even think about answering them. Sunlight is indeed the best disinfectant.

I kinda thought that, but he's simply rolled every question out with an introductory statement that the previous one wasn't answered. I'd have been more direct, but I'm not Leader of the Party.

At least Blackford managed to point out that the PM is supposed to answer questions, rather than put questions.