Saints v Sevco

2 hours ago, WeWereThePeople said:

You let your club sell sellick gear.

We were just showing off that there wasn't a court order preventing us from running a club shop.

2 hours ago, thepundit said:

Just the 2-0 Rangers. Not expecting a great performance with the game just 3 days after our European heroics/failure

Haha. That’s got me thinking, what was the story behind the signing of Christopher Wreh back in those days?

We needed a striker. Frank McAvennie was starting out as an agent and was apparently representing Wreh. For some reason, that combination didn't set off any alarm bells and we signed him. I don't think he ever started a game as Tom Hendrie claimed he was pish in training - although who knows if that was true as he also said Iain Nicolson was injured (a lot) to cover the fact the pair had fallen out.

From memory we tried to punt Wreh on loan to Darlington (this would have been just before or after they paraded Asprilla) but it fell through because he missed his train 😂

Would have been very difficult to get a game with the likes of Lavety, Mendes and Yardley already there, to be fair.  [emoji4]

Lavety and Mendes weren’t there then and Yardley was no longer a regular starter.

The main strike force that season was Jose Quitongo and Brian McGinty.

No wonder we were shite!

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

We needed a striker. Frank McAvennie was starting out as an agent and was apparently representing Wreh. For some reason, that combination didn't set off any alarm bells and we signed him. I don't think he ever started a game as Tom Hendrie claimed he was pish in training - although who knows if that was true as he also said Iain Nicolson was injured (a lot) to cover the fact the pair had fallen out.

From memory we tried to punt Wreh on loan to Darlington (this would have been just before or after they paraded Asprilla) but it fell through because he missed his train 😂

Haha, I'm surprised the chairman didn't drive him down there himself.

He must be St Mirrens highest ever earner? or very close to it.

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Lavety and Mendes weren’t there then and Yardley was no longer a regular starter.

No wonder we were shite!

My mistake. Apologies.

Just checked McGinty's wiki as I wanted to know if it was the same one who was at Rangers. Not the most prolific of goalscorers according to his stats!

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

No wonder we were shite!

Which reminds me of wee Jose at Dingwall one evening😄

18 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Was Mendes not back that season??

5 minutes ago, thepundit said:

I'd be very surprised at that, the guy had played a handful of games in the previous few years and only featured once or twice for us. Considering the season prior to that we knocked back Bebeto because he wouldn't come in for a trial makes me think that we wouldn't have thrown money at a Wreh.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Was Mendes not back that season??

I'd be very surprised at that, the guy had played a handful of games in the previous few years and only featured once or twice for us. Considering the season prior to that we knocked back Bebeto because he wouldn't come in for a trial makes me think that we wouldn't have thrown money at a Wreh.

Mendes was the season after.

I'd also be surprised if Wreh was our highest earner. The likes of Archibald and Victor would probably have been on more. Not sure what guys like Djemba-Djemba or Ferdinand would have been on more recently.

22 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Nah, nowhere near it. Though he was likely on ridiculous money for the 1st division at the time.

Wreh's career was in a massive downward trajectory at that point despite him only being about 26 or 27. He'd gone from scoring a winning goal in an FA cup semi-final and getting semi-regular game time as 4th choice centre forward alongside Ian Wright, Nicolas Anelka and Dennis Bergkamp in a double wining team back when the double was a really big deal, to getting nowhere near a game for ourselves in three and a half years.

He was fucking brilliant in CM01/02 though. 

Edited by djchapsticks

23 minutes ago, thepundit said:

He must be St Mirren's highest ever earner? or very close to it.

Roy Aitken, Victor and Stevie Archibald were on ridiculous money, as was Thomas Stickroth.

I know one of the directors of the club at the time, and although I can't remember the exact figures, it's no wonder we nearly went tits up in the mid nineties.

I think Archibald was on something like £2K a game and that was in the early 90's. In fact it might have been more than that. 

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, thepundit said:

My mistake. Apologies.

Just checked McGinty's wiki as I wanted to know if it was the same one who was at Rangers. Not the most prolific of goalscorers according to his stats!

He scored a hat-trick against the Saintees.

I vividly remember being raging at the time because he wasn't getting a game although he was pretty much a fat balloon at the time 😂 Didn't stop yardley mind you.

Shite in training? Probably done a mahrez and scored all sorts in the reserves then not played as he wasn't a hammer thrower or part of the best pals act.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Mendes was the season after.

I'd also be surprised if Wreh was our highest earner. The likes of Archibald and Victor would probably have been on more. Not sure what guys like Djemba-Djemba or Ferdinand would have been on more recently.

Cashing. Ferdinand maybe £100,000 signing for his time at St  Mirren. Hear say only hear say before I'm shoot down. Come on Gordon a wee bit more concentration needed. 

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's Paisley so the emphasis is tacky and cheap.  Probably Travelodge.

When you go down to Green Road your in for a BIG SURPRISE.  Though a poster above is 100% right it depends who the ref is. Not bitter but let's be honest 4 penalties was cringeworthy unless you feel you need a 12th man to beat a wee diddy club. 

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

Worth every penny. Should’ve been more.

Well he did get free beans on his mutton pie. Give me the tannoy smile from ear to ear in the bank house. No wonder Oran was moved on . But the buck falls who ever approved it ( if true )  I could go out and buy a Porsche 911. But would it hit my investments. Of course given it would sit in the garage/ subs bench most weeks would it be wise ? I think not.