East Fife v Raith Rovers (28th Dec 2019)

In b4 the meltdown.

Top of the league with 9 points from 5 games shows you how fucking shite the rest of the league is. Today not great, but staying positive.

Matthews being injured is a blow, hope he’s not out for long. What happened?

He went up for a header with Grant Anderson, amongst others, and didn't get back up. Looked more like an awkward landing than a head knock. Wouldn't be surprised if it was something like a broken arm, but impossible to tell from where I was.

Referee - pish and inconsistent, amazing no one was sent off. 

Ross Matthews - our best player today, I thought. We never had a hope of mounting a comeback without him. Hope we’re not without him for too long.

Defending - sloppy AF. Too many heads gone moments from Davo and Bene. Yes the ref was guff, but pros with their experience need to be able to rise above that, plus wind ups from East Fife players - seriously Davo, get over it. 

Upfront - East Fife dishing out a masterclass in defending for us. Allan and Bowie were rendered pretty much useless by them. Job well done I’d say. However, with a bit of momentum very late on, when EF’s defence were looking more threatened, it looked like we were trying to pass the ball into the net or were afraid to take a shot. Totally failed to capitalise on our best opportunities to bring things level. Far too tippy tappy and lacking a clinical touch.

In summary - East Fife defended well and took advantage of their opportunities.... we didn’t do either.

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

He went up for a header with Grant Anderson, amongst others, and didn't get back up. Looked more like an awkward landing than a head knock. Wouldn't be surprised if it was something like a broken arm, but impossible to tell from where I was.

I thought it was a head knock or face injury (near his eye?). Seemed to be holding his arms up while he held his hand over his face, so don’t think it was an arm injury. Anderson’s initial reaction was concerning as he looked pretty worried about him. Spencer was quick to shout for a stretcher too.

30 minutes ago, Nairney said:

I thought it was a head knock or face injury (near his eye?). Seemed to be holding his arms up while he held his hand over his face, so don’t think it was an arm injury. Anderson’s initial reaction was concerning as he looked pretty worried about him. Spencer was quick to shout for a stretcher too.

Looks like it’s a broken face of some kind, jaw or cheekbone, looked like he headed the other Rovers player’s head or shoulder when they both jumped for the ball!!!

eta Anderson was the player he collided with!!!

Edited by King Kebab

Deserved win for East Fife but apart from the first 10 mins they didnt have to work too hard to get the win

We had too many players not up for it and a defence that cant do the basics of defending.Power puff up front and a manager whos tactics and instructions to players is questionable

Hadn,t been to an away game for some time and only decided this morning to go,wish I hadnt bothered

5 minutes ago, Sunshine Fifer said:

Excuse # 1
Waiting on someone to complain about the weather and the pitch next

Nah, East Fife deserved the win, but the referee was very poor and lost clear control early on. The tilt of the cards toward the Rovers early was unexplainable as similar fouls by EF went unbooked. Hendry got mauled back to back in the second and the player gets a warning, I can’t say the ref was unbiased.

On the weather, I’ll complain we didn’t take advantage of the first half wind...

Heard Matthews has a possible fractured jaw. Refused the ambulance though cause he's hard as nails.

East fife were worthy winners today. As soon as their first went in they controlled the game for the most. Our defence is awful and Allan is useless up top on his own. Was outside the stadium as the rovers squad came out. Only one that looked gutted was Spencer (he even apologised)

First of all ref was diabolical in terms of consistency rightfully booked the Rovers players but to let off  2  or 3 East Fife players for the same type of foul enough said however this had no bearing whatsoever on today’s result. East Fife got everything spot on from the tactics , desire, effort and the most crucial part played the windy conditions perfectly as for us yet again we defend like a pub team , no desire to win second to every ball but even worst Was we only created about 5 chances the whole game yet we could have had a hiding today and it could have easily been 6- 2 . Next week in the Tunnocks cup is a great opportunity to shuffle the pack at the back because changes are needed I would drop benny and replace him with McKay but I’m sure JM will insist that we don’t have defensive problems even though our goals lost speaks for its self

Had hoped that the mini-clearout would have got rid of the shitehawk attitude that’s plagued Starks Park for the last few seasons. Today proved it still there in spades. Second to everything. East Fife deserved the win, once they equalised it was all them. Our defence. Jesus. Absolutely woeful, including McGurn. It’s embarrassing watching Benedictus and Davidson get involved in nonsense. These are supposed to be the experienced guys. 

Made absolutely no difference to the result, but the ref was dreadful. Horrifically inconsistent and stopping the game to grandstand far too often. 

Special mention also to the stewards. Confiscating a guys bottle of buckfast then watching on as he fished it out of a bin as he left early.  Laughable 

I’m glad I didn’t attend. Sounds like we’re as rotten away from home as we were last season.

Went out for a walk at HT when we were drawing, came back in to see we’d lost 4-2.

Change it McGlynn! For the love of God, change it! Are you capable of changing it? Have ma doubts.

I think first of all well done East Fife, again. Played the game perfectly. Fantastic attitude and got absolutely tore in. Couple of challenges that deserved bookings, but that happens in derby games. Bit of a cliche, but they really did want it more. Identified our weaknesses and whilst I don't think the game was high on quality, they were worthy winners. Wish our players showed an ounce of that heart. 

Dreadful from us.  Looked comfortable at 1-0 without really threatening any more, but completely imploded after. Composure lost in terms of temperament and defending.  That period between the equaliser and half time was embarrassing. Yes it got a bit scrappy, it's a derby FFS

Thought Allan, Bowie and Gullan all struggled, as did Spencer. However, if you concede 4 away from home and 3 from set pieces it does not matter. 

Crunch time for Mcglynn. Continuing to play that defence and leaking goals on a weekly basis will lead to the difficulty questions being asked. 

The ref was inconsistent and I've come to expect poor officiating, we got a way with a couple o tackles that Raith picked up bookings for but in fairness we fully deserved the win and i thought we were the better team all over the park! I thought Raith were going to a snatch an undeserved equaliser at the death and when the 4th went in i was so relieved. Confidence is high, we're scoring goals, creating chances, defending as a team and the togetherness in our squad is there for all to see! One game at a time so they say. I'll enjoy tonight! Well done to the management team, players and of course the board for backing the manager. Mon the Fife

i Like John Mcglynn but his reluctance to change things and stay loyal to players is starting to hurt us , You finally realise that we didn’t show the will to win balls and defend at set pieces well changes need to be made because the same thing is happening time after time

Edited by basher brash