Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Whatever happens SS has got to stay in in some capacity, right now I think he's the man for the job especially if he masterminds win over Cally next week, i also thought he came across really well in the post match and gave a lot more insight than McCall did

Would McCall have given credit to Kerr for a tactical change?

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I’m sorry but I could’ve gone into the game today as the manager picked the same team and told the boys. “Right Guys same as last week please”. I’m being flippant but let’s settle down with the Sandy Stewart is a genius stuff.

I can only comment with the evidence I have and that evidence is that our style and training appeared to change when Stewart was appointed, it could just be a huge coincidence but it's still the case that it happened.

Anyway, today's message seemed to work whether simple or not............

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Agree, Sandy should get the next few games.

However, I can understand the clamour to appoint him after today. We were absolutely sensational.

Mark Roberts's first game in charge was a 4-0 shellacking of the team who had finished third in the SPL the previous season, who played their first team. Just saying.

On 25/09/2019 at 15:09, UpInTheAyr said:

A lot of things he's said since the start of the season make sense now that at all this is coming out. There was a definite shift in tone in things like match previews and interviews but I just put that down to wacky McCall or tension with the board. He was obviously counting down the days till Caldwell got punted.

I'm less concerned about how the players will  deal with it now as they must have known this was coming for a while. Who knows, maybe a few of them are glad he's away and start playing better.

This just makes the Doolan signing all the more bizarre tbh

McCall was never remotely coy about his time at Ayr. He owed Cameron a favour for taking a chance on him, but the writing was on the wall when he saw that the absolute upper limit for a home attendance was going to be 3000 regardless of performance and he'd have to offer a blood sacrifice to get more than a one-year deal offered to a player.

I don't think it was written in the stars that he'd have left this season, but Caldwell's dismissal from one of his fondest old clubs with a Euromillions winner in the wings to provide funding was exactly the sort of thing that his gentleman's agreement with Cameron was intended to accommodate.

As for the manager nom, I'd give it to Sandy. The magnificent novelty of having two managers in a row whose management experience didn't consist entirely of activities put together by Eidos Entertainment or Rangers TV is spine-tingling. It's also refreshing that in the post-match interview he didn't sound like he was trying to pass a kidney stone every time he was asked if his own team were any good.

McCall would have claimed we should have been 5 or 6 up at half time....   Time to move on from him I’d say.  

Only disappointment yesterday apart from Kerr getting injured was a few of the comments being directed at Doolan.  The guy has been poor but it’s not his fault the way things planned out with McCall.  Seemed to be coming from the drunk young team, but I still think it’s out of order.  The song about McCall being an alky was an embarrassment as well.  Would rather see us focus on the team and the current management team.

5 hours ago, Thumper said:

Mark Roberts's first game in charge was a 4-0 shellacking of the team who had finished third in the SPL the previous season, who played their first team. Just saying.

McCall was never remotely coy about his time at Ayr. He owed Cameron a favour for taking a chance on him, but the writing was on the wall when he saw that the absolute upper limit for a home attendance was going to be 3000 regardless of performance and he'd have to offer a blood sacrifice to get more than a one-year deal offered to a player.

I don't think it was written in the stars that he'd have left this season, but Caldwell's dismissal from one of his fondest old clubs with a Euromillions winner in the wings to provide funding was exactly the sort of thing that his gentleman's agreement with Cameron was intended to accommodate.

As for the manager nom, I'd give it to Sandy. The magnificent novelty of having two managers in a row whose management experience didn't consist entirely of activities put together by Eidos Entertainment or Rangers TV is spine-tingling. It's also refreshing that in the post-match interview he didn't sound like he was trying to pass a kidney stone every time he was asked if his own team were any good.

1. In a pre-season friendly. Ridiculous comparison.

2. We’ve given out a few longer contracts over the last few years, so this is complete garbage.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

1. In a pre-season friendly. Ridiculous comparison.

2. We’ve given out a few longer contracts over the last few years, so this is complete garbage.

McCowan 3 years, McGuffie, Roscoe, Harvie, Geggan, Moffat all 2 years. If players don’t want to sign for over a year there’s nothing we can do, but go back and re-negotiate later on. People seem to think we have a hold over players and their minds.

56 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Only disappointment yesterday apart from Kerr getting injured was a few of the comments being directed at Doolan.  The guy has been poor but it’s not his fault the way things planned out with McCall.  Seemed to be coming from the drunk young team, but I still think it’s out of order.  The song about McCall being an alky was an embarrassment as well.  Would rather see us focus on the team and the current management team.

Poor stuff but not at all surprising - fully expecting it to be same group of roasters who combusted with rage every time Crawford and Harvie touched the ball last season.

Poor stuff but not at all surprising - fully expecting it to be same group of roasters who combusted with rage every time Crawford and Harvie touched the ball last season.
Crawford who is starting every week in the Premier League now and Harvie who has hardly had a a bad game since the end of February some folk wouldn't know a player if it hit them in the face.

12 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Amazing  McCall could never beat  ICTwith Ayr then goes and does it first time with them. A good start for Stewart but  far too early to judge whether he should have the job, much bigger test next week.

In fairness I'd say that Thistle team are more geared up to deal with Inverness from a physical perspective than we've ever been. I'd also say that if we're giving McCall the credit for masterminding the Inverness victory, then likewise you would need to give Stewart the exact same plaudits for masterminding Ayr's fantastic play and victory yesterday.............

Anyone defending Doolan can get into the sea with him. He's just not up to it, I realise this is harsh but it is fair.

Its compounded by the fact that he'll be on a wedge as Dundee were after him too. I wouldn't be surprised if hes the highest earner.

Edited by Trogdor

Anyone defending Doolan can get into the sea with him. He's just not up to it, I realise this is harsh but it is fair.
Its compounded by the fact that he'll be on a wedge as Dundee were after him too. I wouldn't be surprised if hes the highest earner.

I think we should get rid of him in January but I don’t think he was deserving of the abuse he got yesterday.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we should get rid of him in January but I don’t think he was deserving of the abuse he got yesterday.

Agree we should try to get rid. I have no idea what the abuse was tbf.

However, hes left himself open to it with his public 'I love Thistle'  mantra and his abject performances. 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I reckon it would be very much the “Ayr way” to stick with Stewart as manager as it’s the cheapest and easiest option. I want him to stay on as coach but not as the main man 

Its too early to make that judgement.