Retro Slang

Dee Man

I fear 'git' may be dying.

Also, you never hear anyone referring to buggery any more. Bugger off ya wee bugger, get tae buggery, away and bugger yersel. The word of my childhood.

Shocked and stunned when I discovered what it meant [emoji50]

I remember a few years ago loads of people in Inverness used to say “I’m sweating like a rapist”, not sure that’s one for the era of #MeToo

Or ‘sweating like a hooded rapist on a clammy night’

You don’t hear keech or jobby much nowadays either.

My brother lives in Oz. His wee boy told his teacher when he started school “I’m burstin for a jobby!” She has no idea what he was on about so he just bolts to the bog, drops his knitting and shouts for all the school to hear “My bum needs wiped”. My sister in law was apparently mortified when the teacher began asking about “A jobby?” My brother couldn’t stop laughing.

2 hours ago, supermik said:

Keep shotty 

One used that one at one's posh Edinburgh school you know. Also a shout of "shotties" if the teacher was coming back to the class while we were pissing about. 

My dad used to describe someone looking miserable as having "a face like fizz". I heard someone else use it years later and I said that they were the only person apart from my dad who'd ever used it. 

Does anybody still use "it's a skoosh" for something that is easy to achieve? 

Folk at school who wanted to have a few draws of someone else’s cigarette would often ask the person, “leave me twos” or if it was the very end it’d be “threes”. If they wanted a whole cigarette they’d ask, “crash me a fag”.