Tales of P&B Past

Torpar

This thread contains many depictions of some of the moments described here, plus others: 

Sadly there are a lot of broken images. I'm not sure if @LiamDFC's contributions are all dead too, but the first one I found was. Hopefully he still has them, or they still exist somewhere.

26 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Do I doubt (actually aware of) there being similar or worse DM groups amongst P&Bs (self-appointed) elite?

- Not for a fucking second...

This is an interesting post.  When the forum took off almost immediately there was the accusation that a clique had formed that basically decided what was and wasn't acceptable.  Almost all the posters who were alleged to be members of the clique and those who bemoaned the influence of the clique have now stopped posting but it was a dominant part of the conversation, especially in General Nonsense for many years.  The clique was alleged to be a group who met up IRL, for drinks and at games.  The injokes from these events came onto the forum and some felt excluded and began to complain of the 'clique'.  A little later, groups of more aggressive anti-clique posters began posting, including groups of Falkirk supporters who often seemed quite threatening towards clique members who shared their support of the Bairns.  Eventually, people drifted away on both sides and it became part of P&B history.

However, as we can see from 8Mile's post the psychological process behind this is something that lives on.  Some people often feel excluded from the conversation, even if they aren't and seek to justify or explain this by blaming a clique, a group, an elite.  This impulse is something we've seen throughout human history and is one that we see having a big impact in society and politics.  The Right in Britain seem to have fallen behind the idea of the "metropolitan elite" of limp wristed, unpatriotic, Guardian reading, latte drinking Remainers.  The primary party of the Left in Britain has been captured by a group whose viewpoint is conspiratorial and bordering on the very dark conclusion of most conspiracy theories.  Even in Scotland, many of our citizens embrace the idea that conspiracies among civil servants, council workers, geologists and the media abound.

Once again, P&B foreshadowed a troubling development in our society.  So while it's easy to dismiss the likes of xbl and 8Mile as tubby incels or BS merchants (respecitively) their behaviour is more representative than perhaps we'd like to admit.  Perhaps the increasing belief in conspiracies is a reaction against our strange, somewhat meaningless world.  We all have far more than any previous generation but we don't have meaning, we dont' have a purpose and in looking for something to rage against, something to campaign against, something to warn against we are searching for meaning.  Consumerism has made all our lives materially better maybe we are diminished as human beings by it.

Edited by ICTChris

XBL was the original incel, long before it was even a thing.

Looked like if Hurley from lost shagged Rory McGrath and had a big hairy wean.

That’s pretty much spot on. I seem to recall him - or perhaps one of the third-person speaking aliases - claiming to have high-fived his dad watching 9/11.

Then there was the Dundee United fan who claimed Alan Shearer was laughing at him on Match of the Day.

Pie and Bovril is a dark, dark place at times.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Then there was the Dundee United fan who claimed Alan Shearer was laughing at him on Match of the Day.

That's the boy who subsequently took his own life.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This is an interesting post.  When the forum took off almost immediately there was the accusation that a clique had formed that basically decided what was and wasn't acceptable.  Almost all the posters who were alleged to be members of the clique and those who bemoaned the influence of the clique have now stopped posting but it was a dominant part of the conversation, especially in General Nonsense for many years.  The clique was alleged to be a group who met up IRL, for drinks and at games.  The injokes from these events came onto the forum and some felt excluded and began to complain of the 'clique'.  A little later, groups of more aggressive anti-clique posters began posting, including groups of Falkirk supporters who often seemed quite threatening towards clique members who shared their support of the Bairns.  Eventually, people drifted away on both sides and it became part of P&B history.

However, as we can see from 8Mile's post the psychological process behind this is something that lives on.  Some people often feel excluded from the conversation, even if they aren't and seek to justify or explain this by blaming a clique, a group, an elite.  This impulse is something we've seen throughout human history and is one that we see having a big impact in society and politics.  The Right in Britain seem to have fallen behind the idea of the "metropolitan elite" of limp wristed, unpatriotic, Guardian reading, latte drinking Remainers.  The primary party of the Left in Britain has been captured by a group whose viewpoint is conspiratorial and bordering on the very dark conclusion of most conspiracy theories.  Even in Scotland, many of our citizens embrace the idea that conspiracies among civil servants, council workers, geologists and the media abound.

Once again, P&B foreshadowed a troubling development in our society.  So while it's easy to dismiss the likes of xbl and 8Mile as tubby incels or BS merchants (respecitively) their behaviour is more representative than perhaps we'd like to admit.  Perhaps the increasing belief in conspiracies is a reaction against our strange, somewhat meaningless world.  We all have far more than any previous generation but we don't have meaning, we dont' have a purpose and in looking for something to rage against, something to campaign against, something to warn against we are searching for meaning.  Consumerism has made all our lives materially better maybe we are diminished as human beings by it.

Your posts on this thread are teasers for an upcoming book about understanding 21st century society through Pie and Bovril, aren't they?

Spoiler

If so, take my money.

Edited by Gordon EF

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Yes, I did all these cringeworthy/brutal/disgusting things, but there's probably someone out there worse than me" - '8MileBU', 23/10/2019

Are you seeking someone to fill the void left by Rab in your P&B postings?

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Your posts on this thread are teasers for an upcoming book about understanding 21st century society through Pie and Bovril, aren't they?

Reveal hidden contents

If so, take my money.

Everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football forum Pie and Bovril - Albert Camus, absurdist philosopher.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football forum Pie and Bovril - Albert Camus, absurdist philosopher.

Chapter 3 - Explaining the Id through an analysis of the thread "Shitting Stories"

24 minutes ago, The_Craig said:

Shitting Stories (particularly the fella who was on call.)

eddiemunsters hunchback tale. 

These two for me are probably some of the funniest stories I have read. The Hunchback story genuinely had me shaking with laughter when I first read it. I have passed it on far too many times. 

The most recent story that had me chuckling was from @throbber about his Dad,

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:24, throbber said:

One time he made me laugh hysterically, we were all sat around the TV watching "The theory of everything" about the life of Steven Hawking. He was drifting in and out of the film whilst on his ipad not really paying much attention. There is this very touching scene somewhere around the mid point of the film where young Steven is walking through a courtyard, the Motoneuron disease clearly getting the better of him and he's really struggling to walk the length of himself whilst sad music plays in the background,. He eventually walks into a library and at the point where someone says "Come in Steven" he is stood right next to this Victorian wooden spiral staircase, my father who could only have had a split second to think about this blurted out "We're upstairs!". It was obviously in poor taste but I couldn't stop laughing about it for hours on end, we had visitors not long after and I was unable to make proper conversation because I was too hysterical about it all. I never even saw the end of the movie and haven't seen the scene back, hopefully it comes on Netflix soon!

I must admit I pretty much spend most of my posting time within "General Nonsense" and very rarely look at club threads etc so sometimes miss out on the Heads Gone from certain users. 

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Great post mate.  I'll need to buy you a pint at the next secret meeting.

I still enjoy how back when I was a Platinum Member a last minute goal in the 5 game predictor competition meant that I beat xbl to the £180 rollover jackpot.
I think he’s still bitter that I got an Xbox 360 out of it.
Name changing perk was way overrated in hindsight, but it “ages” how new people are to the forum to some extent. Until I was Ad Lib folk always knew me as Exuberant (complete with Ant display pic). The month I changed it to the German for exuberant was, in hindsight, cringy as f**k.
Were you temporarily "Ghoul of the Season" for Halloween one year?

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

For fucks sake.  I'd have thought a Rangers fan would be au fait with the principle of a secret society.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

You not going to pull the old "Shit, left my wallet in the 5th ensuite at home" again?

One of my favourite moments on the forum was Stuart Dickson inciting a heads gone meltdown from someone by saying they only went to a funeral for the steak pie/free food. 
Think it became a running insult, much in the same way PB used to refer to Stand free as a jigsaw enthusiast.
That was hilarious tbf. The poster was the boy with the Jocky Wilson avatar. He was also St Mirren fan iirc and had a few previous minor run ins with Dickson. However "sandwich-gate" was absolutely epic and induced a massive heads-gone. It was the equivalent of two kids pinging elastic bands at each other forva while and one suddenly deploying a bazooka.