39 dead bodies found in the back of a lorry

Absolutely awful.

One thing that struck me as strange is that the truck came from Bulgaria and entered the UK via Holyhead, which is an Irish Sea port in Wales.  The truck driver arrested is from Northern Ireland.  When you see a story like this you immediately think that this is going to be migrants trying to get into the UK from France but it doesn't seem that clear cut in this case.  Unless this is a new route for migrants, maybe there has been increased security at Calais / Dover.   

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Watched a TV programme on Netflix a few days ago that had an episode that was about exactly this sort of scenario happening. Horrible.

Saw that too, the ending was very different though. Read about a similar incident in America recently with some survivors.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Watched a TV programme on Netflix a few days ago that had an episode that was about exactly this sort of scenario happening. Horrible.

Is that the interrogation programme? I was thinking the same reading that story. The lorry driver is only 25, which is near enough my own age, how do you get into such a mess at that age? 

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Absolutely awful.

One thing that struck me as strange is that the truck came from Bulgaria and entered the UK via Holyhead, which is an Irish Sea port in Wales.  The truck driver arrested is from Northern Ireland.  When you see a story like this you immediately think that this is going to be migrants trying to get into the UK from France but it doesn't seem that clear cut in this case.  Unless this is a new route for migrants, maybe there has been increased security at Calais / Dover.   

A route that no one would probably suspect would be used for people smuggling due to the difficulty of getting to Ireland in the first place - you need to go around the UK to get there and there is no land border between Ireland and Europe to facilitate ground crossings. 

There is the Common Travel Area that perhaps they were aiming to take advantage of despite the longer journey. A decision that has killed nearly 40 people. Awful. 

Either that or this is one of the UK's worst ever serial killers. 

Edited by Michael W

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

According to the BBC report, in 2000 58 Chinese migrants died in a lorry in Dover.  I have no memory of this at all - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Dover_incident

18th June - Alison Moyet's birthday - you could be easily forgiven for having more important things on your mind than the tragic goings on at the Channel coast, tbf...

47 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

According to the BBC report, in 2000 58 Chinese migrants died in a lorry in Dover.  I have no memory of this at all - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Dover_incident

I'm sure there was a truck load of Afghans that was found far more recent than that which was full of dead and close to dead migrants. 

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

The most obvious answer here is that it's 39 dead hookers. A lot for 1 truck driver, for sure, but can't be ruled out completely.

And @DeeMan is no where to be seen.  Coincidence? 

eta: f**k.  Read the whole thread.....

Edited by KnightswoodBear