Christmas '19

Cerberus

Mince pies are fucking disgusting.

Anyway, what do folk get for their Christmas? I am getting usual hounding from Mrs B and soon will have to pick something to the value of £100 for the rest of my family to get me. No one will accept no for an answer.

The floor is yours P&B

(I already have Cuban heels)*

*other shite height jokes are available.

4 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Maybe one of the forum's resident Gaelic speakers can confirm (@invergowrie_arab?) but I'm sure I once read that despite the two languages being very similar, the Irish Gaelic for December basically translates to 'the month of Christmas' while the Scottish Gaelic effectively translates to 'the darkness'. Maybe theres something deep in the national psyche for people to be dour b*****ds at this time of year.

Maybe the Scottish Gaels recognise that the birth of Christ eventually led to the near death of their culture. The Irish only remember giants who carried armies in their underpants.

33 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Maybe one of the forum's resident Gaelic speakers can confirm (@invergowrie_arab?) but I'm sure I once read that despite the two languages being very similar, the Irish Gaelic for December basically translates to 'the month of Christmas' while the Scottish Gaelic effectively translates to 'the darkness'. Maybe theres something deep in the national psyche for people to be dour b*****ds at this time of year.

This is correct. Irish is Nollaig and Scots Gaelic is An Dubhlachd - the Darkness.

The months of Nov-Feb are known collectively as Na Mìosan Marbh. The dead months. Good Presbyterians dont hold with catholic feast days.

Misery is its own reward.

Edited by invergowrie arab

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mince pies are fucking disgusting.

Anyway, what do folk get for their Christmas? I am getting usual hounding from Mrs B and soon will have to pick something to the value of £100 for the rest of my family to get me. No one will accept no for an answer.

The floor is yours P&B

(I already have Cuban heels)*

*other shite height jokes are available.

I presume hookers and ching isn't an option?

At Christmas? Mince pies.
If you mean in general a lot of butchers make their own pies and then you get the factory produced ones, no such thing as a Scotch pie - Iceland have been selling Bells Scotch Pies lately but when I was in on Friday there were none left, planning an expedition next week when I hope and pray they had just run out and not discontinued - I still miss Scotch pies after 46 years. And butteries, of course.
Mrs weasel (born and raised in kent) has had a bash at making butteries after we visited back home.

Its a no from me.

My mate's dad (77) said he could remember folk working on Christmas day as in Presbyterian Scotland in the 50s Christmas was no big deal- it was New Year that was the main event.

Personally speaking you should all be Orthodox: their Christmas is 6th January meaning you can buy cheap presents in the January sales. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

My mate's dad (77) said he could remember folk working on Christmas day as in Presbyterian Scotland in the 50s Christmas was no big deal- it was New Year that was the main event.

Personally speaking you should all be Orthodox: their Christmas is 6th January meaning you can buy cheap presents in the January sales. 

^

This is true. As a young child I can remember my dad going off to work on Christmas Day  - it was treated just like any other day, and there was not a Christmas mince pie in sight.

New Year was the main event and everyone just seemed to drink and drink and drink and drink. Sometime in the early 70s someone decided this was wrong, and we were all persuaded to ensure that our kids had a very special time on Xmas Day. Happily that tradition has prevailed, and now everyone gets the opportunity to stuff themselves full of these awful mince pies which are totally bereft of mince, or even anything vaguely resembling mince.

Ach well....

:(

Edited by ICTJohnboy

^
This is true. As a young child I can remember my dad going off to work on Christmas Day  - it was treated just like any other day, and there was not a Christmas mince pie in sight.
New Year was the main event and everyone just seemed to drink and drink and drink and drink. Sometime in the early 70s someone decided this was wrong, and we were all persuaded to ensure that our kids had a very special time on Xmas Day. Happily that tradition has prevailed, and now everyone gets the opportunity to stuff themselves full of these awful mince pies which are totally bereft of mince, or even anything vaguely resembling mince.
Ach well....
[emoji20]

Wasn’t only parents had to work on Christmas Day, paper laddies had to and in 1965 it meant going out twice that night. Delivering the Tele then the Sporting Post as there was a full card of Scottish League games.

56 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Wasn’t only parents had to work on Christmas Day, paper laddies had to and in 1965 it meant going out twice that night. Delivering the Tele then the Sporting Post as there was a full card of Scottish League games.

Wee guys going round the city centre pubs selling the Sporting Post on a Saturday night.  Perfect start to the evening's festivities - beats Jeff and the guys in the studio hands down.  Bring it back and doon with Sky Sports.

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

This is correct. Irish is Nollaig and Scots Gaelic is An Dubhlachd - the Darkness.

The months of Nov-Feb are known collectively as Na Mìosan Marbh. The dead months. Good Presbyterians dont hold with catholic feast days.

Misery is its own reward.

Did presbyterians create the Gaelic language?

11 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Mrs weasel (born and raised in kent) has had a bash at making butteries after we visited back home.

Its a no from me.

I've often toyed with the idea of ordering them on line.