McDonalds ordering screens, Braehead.

pozbaird

1 hour ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Fwiw, on the assumption of an average 16 hour week for McDonald’s employees: raising all 120,000(approx) UK employees wage by £6 per hour would cost McDonald’s £600m per year.

Holding all else constant that would have resulted in them making a nearly £300m loss last year in the UK.

15 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Isn't it the case the Union are asking for £15 as a high offer expecting to something more in the middle between what they get now and £15?

I wasn't actually aware of the story until I read this thread so excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong.

To the best of my understanding on this, the £15 an hour thing relates only to staff within a certain area of the country(London and some surrounding bits) who are currently paid below what is counted as the living wage down there. It's not every single member of staff in the UK. I assume they are also asking for a pay rise but I haven't seen an amount for the rest.

This is what cheeses me off about the Tories slagging off the Scottish government about how they've turned it into the most taxed part of the UK.

This is a part of the UK where I've had free university tuition that has allowed me to get a skilled job and pay more tax into the system than I would have otherwise, claim ongoing repeat prescriptions, bus passes etc, etc... and you know what?  I'm happy to pay that little bit more into the system when I can afford it and it helps improve the lives of others like it has done for me. 

If anything, I'm actually rather proud that I live in that part of the UK that isn't as motivated by greed through penny pinching and wilfully and knowingly shafting the less well off to do it.  The blue will hopefully soon get wiped from the political map north of the border (come on Dumfries, you need the EU more than the Tories), and it'll be absolutely glorious, especially if they need to work out which English constituency MP will  be the Scottish Secretary.

Can't see it not being blue. Dumfries and Galloway may change but Dumfriesshire is farming country, there's no way that'll not be Tory.

Calling bullshit on the "I wouldn't work in McDonalds for £30 an hour" shouts. A salary of just under 60K with no serious responsibility and no skills required? Too right I'd work for that. Having worked for KFC and my last role I'm all too aware of how much the public are dicks. But for that wage I'd happily listen to their pish, all the while standing there with a face like Greg Wallace for the whole shift.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've been in a McDonalds twice in the past ~six years

Once was in 24 hour branch Leeds on a Saturday night, with security guards when the screen was the only way to order. It was like being an Argos.

The other time was in Edinburgh, where there was one woman in front of me who took about eight years to order whatever she was getting. Since it was late and my train wasn't due for about twenty minutes I waited rather than use the screen. The customer in that case was significantly more slack-jawed and useless then the worker.

If it was the one in the city centre at Briggate, the threat of extreme violence separates it from my Argos experience.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

For anyone who hasn’t been to 5 guys, a large portion of chips is £5.50 and a milkshake is £5.50. Think a burger was about £8. Worth every penny IMO.

Better be some size of portions for those prices.

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Isn't it the case the Union are asking for £15 as a high offer expecting to get something more in the middle between what they get now and £15?

I wasn't actually aware of the story until I read this thread so excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong.

Aye but its easier just to call them greedy and slag their jobs, rather come up with some common sense. 

Make your own burgers, and give McDonalds & 5 Guys a big GIRFUY. Here’s my method, and it seems to go down well with anyone who’s tried them. Dead easy....

Get same sized packs of 5% fat beef mince and pork mince.

Mix very well.

Add a pinch of salt, black pepper, and a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard - mix very well.

In a plastic burger press, make the mix into burger shapes and place them on a baking tray, cover with a clean tea towel and chill in fridge overnight.

From chilled, fry for 15 mins on each side.

Serve on toasted buns with whatever the hell you like - cheese, onion, tomato, lettuce, crispy bacon, pineapple, fried egg....

Try this sauce - equal measures tomato sauce and mayo’. Mix well. Add a pinch of black pepper, and get a wee jar of those sweet pickle ‘cornichon’ things. Slice a handful of them, add to the tomato sauce / mayo mix and spread on your toasted bun.

Luvvly jubbly.

Make your own burgers, and give McDonalds & 5 Guys a big GIRFUY. Here’s my method, and it seems to go down well with anyone who’s tried them. Dead easy....
Mix very well.
Add a pinch of salt, black pepper, and a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard - mix very well.
In a plastic burger press, make the mix into burger shapes and place them on a baking tray, cover with a clean tea towel and chill in fridge overnight.
Serve on toasted buns with whatever the hell you like - cheese, onion, tomato, lettuce, crispy bacon, pineapple, fried egg....
Try this sauce - equal measures tomato sauce and mayo’. Mix well. Add a pinch of black pepper, and get a wee jar of those sweet pickle ‘cornichon’ things. Slice a handful of them, add to the tomato sauce / mayo mix and spread on your toasted bun.

Luvvly jubbly.
I never used to be a believer in any binding whatsoever added to burgers but recently have started using beaten egg and I belive it gives a better result.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:
Mix very well.

Luvvly jubbly.

I never used to be a believer in any binding whatsoever added to burgers but recently have started using beaten egg and I belive it gives a better result.

There’s no right and wrong way, I’ve tried a few different approaches. Adding egg, breadcrumbs, spices, tomato puree - you name it. I stumbled across the way I described above, and the plastic burger press is the X factor in delivering equal thickness, equal size, good looking patties. I can thoroughly recommend giving it a go!

There’s no right and wrong way, I’ve tried a few different approaches. Adding egg, breadcrumbs, spices, tomato puree - you name it. I stumbled across the way I described above, and the plastic burger press is the X factor in delivering equal thickness, equal size, good looking patties. I can thoroughly recommend giving it a go!
I have always meant to go to the butchers and get them to fire a couple of decent ribeyes through the mincer for me and try to make a real top notch burger but in general I find the 5% fat gear produces a pretty good result.

39 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Mix very well.

Luvvly jubbly.

Fat is flavour. 5% is far too little.

For what it's worth, a McDonalds wage is aspirational for me, and my employers have frozen wages for everyone at my pay grade and under for the past two years. A few months back, the union proposed a 1% pay rise, which was slapped down by the high heid yins, who immediately passed a 6% pay rise for themselves. It's so bad that management will be on the same pay as entry level staff if there's a rise in minimum wage come April.

That said, the idea that I should be annoyed at the prospect of McDonalds staff getting a pay rise is mystifying. The Tories have absolutely won if this is a common attitude and people deserve exactly what's coming.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Mix very well.

Luvvly jubbly.

AC165EFD-CE62-4A10-90FA-77EB36B0AEFE.png