The Christmas Thread

Guest bernardblack

Me and Mrs Row 16 are the same, got everything we need. 

We used to have a £10 limit for a gift, everything else had to be made/recycled at no extra cost.  One year I blew all my money by joining something at the local the B & Q because you got to build a wooden sled in those wee training booths they had. Two cut fingers and a splinter later it was so heavy it just sank in the snow would not budge.  At least we hot a laugh out of it.

I have made her a dress out of maps (she likes hill walking but has no sense of direction) and stayed up to the early hours one year sewing sock puppets that were meant to look like me and her.  You put your hand into them via the bottom of wee Xmas gift bags so they popped out the top.  It was supposed to help her teach me Polish without killing me with frustration.  10 years together and I know about about a dozen words.

Now we just donate our tenners to the Christmas stuff I help out with on top of my job.  A Christmas party for kids in care and kinship care and a toy appeal that reached out to 1300 kids that were referred by various projects working with the families who said they were in danger of missing out.

As hectic as Christmas is, I am constantly humbled by the generosity of the general public from bairns to grannies who give up time, effort and hard earned cash.  They are the real stars at Christmas.

Just finished an excellent Christmas dinner. I had a day off from cooking duties as my wife did everything. (I'll have to wash up, mind).

However, it was spoiled a bit by the fact my wife couldn't eat hers as she has sjogren's and it affects her sense of taste, so after a couple of mouthfuls she wasn't able to eat any more.

Edited for grammar - thank goodness @The_Kincardine appears to be off line.

Edited by Jacksgranda
grandma

Lovely Xmas Dinner, turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes and pigs in blankets. Had two desserts, fat pig that I am. Mum made sticky toffee pudding and trifle, couldn't decide which one to have, so had a bit of both. Just woke up after a lovely 90 minute sleep and I'm now on my 4th can of best. Cheers everyone!!

31 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I am become yer da, destroyer of worldsIMG_20191225_112923901.jpeg

You need one of these babies for the full effect, ladies and young men will swoon. You have to keep the brand new look though, and fill the other pockets with cheap tat from Poundland.

Dewalt_DWST175552.jpg?w=1280&h=960&scale

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

So are we. Except we forego the "buying things when we want/need them" and the" bunch of small gifts" parts. Otherwise exactly like yours...

Cheers Sir.  Have a fine day yourself. 

We went out for a walk in the forest next to the family home and walked along the road by it on the way back. 

Her mother was slightly ahead and was shouting back, quizzing me about dinner tomorrow. 

Do I like duck?  No.

Do I like turkey? No.

Do I like fish? No.

Do I like wild boar and am I any good at weightlifting?  At this point I am thinking...ok, I know I am in Poland but even that sounded a bit random. 

Just at that point her mother and her husband part like the red sea and right in front of me is a dead wild boar at the roadside, obviously roadkill. There was even a bit of car bumper next to it.

I nearly sh@t myself!  Never seen one up do close before, massive fecker. 

Anyways we are having chicken tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Sugar_Army said:

Cheers Sir.  Have a fine day yourself. 

We went out for a walk in the forest next to the family home and walked along the road by it on the way back. 

Her mother was slightly ahead and was shouting back, quizzing me about dinner tomorrow. 

Do I like duck?  No.

Do I like turkey? No.

Do I like fish? No.

Do I like wild boar and am I any good at weightlifting?  At this point I am thinking...ok, I know I am in Poland but even that sounded a bit random. 

Just at that point her mother and her husband part like the red sea and right in front of me is a dead wild boar at the roadside, obviously roadkill. There was even a bit of car bumper next to it.

I nearly sh@t myself!  Never seen one up do close before, massive fecker. 

Anyways we are having chicken tomorrow.

Chicken from a boar? Now that's clever...