Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, virginton said:

And what’s truly disturbing is that people are lapping up this incessant personal behaviour message as being responsible for anything above 0.1% of the running shitshow to date.

A fresh nadir in media coverage was reached this morning with BBC Breakfast interviewing the mawkish sister of a health worker who had caught the virus and died. Her utterly mawkish but state-approved message was to plead for people to stay inside so that her sister ‘didn’t die in vain’. At no point did either party in the interview focus on why health workers are actually contracting and dying from the virus in significant numbers here: because a useless government and inept health minister in particular failed to secure sufficient and credible protective equipment and testing kits despite having several weeks advance notice.

But I guess if we all keep putting up rainbow posters and philpying neighbours we don’t like to the police instead then we’ll have this pandemic on the run in no time. 

The Tories played a blinder appealing to every Brit's inherent petty authoritarian. If we had our own Silicon Valley they'd have developed an app for grassing on your neighbours years ago.

The 50% thing comes from his age and gender and was based on ICU admission for 'organ support', or a ventilator to the ordinary punter.

He was receiving oxygen but never got to the ventilator stage by the sound of things.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Two years until cannibalism then it's fucking Event Horizon 🤷‍♂️

FB_IMG_1586807966748.jpg.94c15816aad23a335dcb2db4feb3b73a.jpg

I think we flipped forward to Idiocracy in 2016 so Barbarella is just coming up. Result!:thumsup2

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
I think we flipped forward to Idiocracy in 2016 so Barbarella is just coming up. Result!:thumsup2

Nope! The dolls with the metal teeth still give me nightmares

You're just feart about competing with the orgasmatron.

49 minutes ago, beefybake said:

What's been ticking around my head is this.  Johnson goes into hospital, and is given some oxygen. He then goes into intensive care.   3 days later he's up and out the door.

I seem to recall that the death rate of those going into ICU with coronavirus is said to be about 50%..    Given that a stated aim of the actions of government is to prevent

the NHS 'from being overwhelmed', surely there is some kind of  deduction in there  that...

1.   If the ICU death rate from coronavisrus is said to be around 50%, then  a huge number of them must have been more or less at half dead by the time they entered hospital..

2. and following from that,  how culpable is NHS 111,  and local medics,   in not visiting, or refusing to admit people until they are in effect beyond saving ?

It's 50% if you need intubated mate, the stat is a lot less scary (but still fucking scary) just from being admitted to icu. Don't know the numbers tho 

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Apolgies if this has been answered elsewhere

If our weekend death numbers are wrong as the people responsible for collating the info don't work weekends, where do the figures we do get come from?

They've started to work weekends but across the country it's not functioning to 100% yet.

What's been ticking around my head is this.  Johnson goes into hospital, and is given some oxygen. He then goes into intensive care.   3 days later he's up and out the door.
I seem to recall that the death rate of those going into ICU with coronavirus is said to be about 50%..    Given that a stated aim of the actions of government is to prevent
the NHS 'from being overwhelmed', surely there is some kind of  deduction in there  that...
1.   If the ICU death rate from coronavisrus is said to be around 50%, then  a huge number of them must have been more or less at half dead by the time they entered hospital..
2. and following from that,  how culpable is NHS 111,  and local medics,   in not visiting, or refusing to admit people until they are in effect beyond saving ?

Local medics arent refusing to visit, there are covid hubs specifically to deal with patients.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A New York City hospital tested all pregnant women admitted for birth over the recent period - 13% tested positive for the virus, with 87% of those positive cases having no symptoms.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009316

Small sample but interesting.

The cynic in me says it doesn't add up, but it does.

9 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The cynic in me says it doesn't add up, but it does.

I don't like it, but I'll have to go along with it.