Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We are all understandably trying to read something into the figures whilst not knowing how accurate they are.  I suspect there are far more COVID-19 related deaths than are being reported.

There will be, but the official figures should allow us to compare the extent of things between days. My guess is that taking accounting for community cases would inflate the daily figures rather than push the peak back, but of course we really don’t know if that’s the case for sure.

Edited by Adamski

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Likely a judgement call for the doctor when there are other underlying conditions. Say if a patient dies from heart disease while carrying the virus, which may have speeded up death.

If it was listed as a cause of death on the certificate, amongst other causes of death, it will be included in the stats.

That Mark Francois video is old now, but its reappearance has reminded me that I don't think there is a more unpleasant elected politician in Britain. 

He has been unfortunate in life that he possesses one of those faces that just annoys you and you want to hit, but he doesn't make things any easier for himself does he? 

8 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

If it was listed as a cause of death on the certificate, amongst other causes of death, it will be included in the stats.

If it was unknown and untested for, it might explain for the unaccounted for increase in morbidity.

53 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Sweden's rate of deaths per 100k is worse than the US. Swedish doctors not happy.

Where does our rate stand in comparison. 

We are all understandably trying to read something into the figures whilst not knowing how accurate they are.  I suspect there are far more COVID-19 related deaths than are being reported.

I would agree that the death totals are not accurate, but they will be closer to being right than the reported total number of cases, which will be wrong by a much greater margin due to the lack of testing.

How much of the care home problem I wonder is in the private sector.
If owners have been sitting on their arse expecting ppe handouts (I have no evidence) that would be rather foolhardy.
Presumably the govt which clearly has the majority of the supply chain, just needs to agree to invoice said establishments if they cant find there own supply.
Getting a few private care home owners on the record should be quite illuminating.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Big rise in non Covid deaths. Are these cases where Covid could be present but this isn’t known or is it caused by medical services being squeezed due to the lockdown.

This is partly the danger. We must be top (or bottom I guess) of suicide tables around the world already.  There really has to be some discussion around health provisions for older people. It’s horrifically uncomfortable but is using resources for some groups of people to help them stagger on for another few months wise?  People’s lives being extended when perhaps dying peacefully might be a much more merciful but difficult choice.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I've always liked wilf self.

I can see why folk hate him though, but he's not in the same ball-park of cuntishness as that francois boy.

I saw him live a few years back on a book tour/stand up show. Was a bit surprised to see him not pompous at all and incredibly patient and kind with some truly moronic questions from the audience, think he saves that for c***s on QT and the like. Down to earth and very very funny. (hope I haven't killed him off)

12 minutes ago, superbigal said:

How much of the care home problem I wonder is in the private sector.
If owners have been sitting on their arse expecting ppe handouts (I have no evidence) that would be rather foolhardy.
Presumably the govt which clearly has the majority of the supply chain, just needs to agree to invoice said establishments if they cant find there own supply.
Getting a few private care home owners on the record should be quite illuminating.

Most of the care sector is private in one way or another. 

Large numbers of businesses will be providing more and better PPE than the NHS, because they are more flexible and can pay more. 

Larger numbers will be struggling with staffing and therefore agency costs and might not have the clout or resources to procure what they need. 

A miniscule minority won't give a shit about the staff or residents. 

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is this bit actually true?

No. 109th in the world, all the Scandinavian countries are above us, according to the WHO. Scotland on its own is close to the European average.

Edited by welshbairn

I've always liked wilf self.

I can see why folk hate him though, but he's not in the same ball-park of cuntishness as that francois boy.

I choose to believe his pompous wind bag persona is what led Deborah Orr to divorce him. There’s tweets of hers that suggest that’s the case.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Anyone on here around at the time of the typhoid epidemic in Aberdeen 1964?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26957972

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18309757.tin-corned-beef-caused-aberdeens-1964-typhoid-outbreak/

Typhoid outbreak. Aberdeen. Scotland. 1964. In 1964 there was an ...
Typhoid outbreak. Aberdeen. Scotland. 1964. In 1964 there was an ...

Pictured. Visitors outside Aberdeen City Hospital, they were able to talk to relatives and patients trough open windows. No physical contact, no danger. 1st June 1964.

I was. @kingjoey would be, too. Not sure about @Raidernation anyway I think he was brought up in Sutherlandshire. There are quite a few supporters of other teams who would have been alive back then, just not necessarily living in Aberdeen.