Coronavirus (COVID-19)

49 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I won’t be using it as -

A - I have no more storage space on my phone for another app

B - The people most at risk from the virus are the elderly, a large percentage of which don’t have mobile phones, which renders the whole thing a bit pointless imo 

For someone who has repeatedly shown to be absolutely desperate to get out of lockdown, this is a fairly strange stance.

Just now, Aufc said:

I dont think that is true? If someone is furloughed then they could get a job in a supermarket for example and their main employer can still claim on the job retention scheme. Unless it has changed

I think you might be right actually. 

I take it back.

11 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I suspect rules will be rewritten. I think for instance they will be keen to get furloughed workers picking fruit. As you are still on 80% elsewhere the tenner an hour picking berries will be excellent remuneration. It certainly will be a disgrace if food goes wasted with the amount of people currently not working.

If I was furloughed I would jump at the chance

I’d love to be picking fruit or potatoes right now. Haven’t seen any Ayrshire jobs advertised for it though 

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For someone who has repeatedly shown to be absolutely desperate to get out of lockdown, this is a fairly strange stance.

I am desperate to get out of lockdown, I just don’t think a tracking app is the answer to that. It would only work if EVERYONE was using it, and like I said there isn’t so many older folk who don’t use one 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I am desperate to get out of lockdown, I just don’t think a tracking app is the answer to that. It would only work if EVERYONE was using it, and like I said there isn’t so many older folk who don’t use one 

It will work better the more people use it, but they're not expecting anything like 100% take up. It's a fairly simple app, it's not going to take up much space on your phone.

The Apps gonna run on bluetooth and not gprs. Many wont have a clue what bluetooth is.
Many clearly dont have.
If your bluetooth is permanently switched on your "device" is already being tracked to an extent.
Bluetooth sensors probably in plenty places we already visit.

It would be utterly useless then, as all you have to do is turn your Bluetooth off.

48 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How does it affect the payment or amount of furlough wage you’re getting, I feel you’re also getting a wage from elsewhere? 

Like Welshbairn said. 

It might feel wrong but the govt is making furlough payments to keep businesses viable, not primarily to support workers income. It is within the spirit of the rules. 

25 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I think you're right. The schools pack up for holiday late June up here so we'll probably just eek it out til they go back in August.

I personally think that if the primary schools are good to go back 1st June in England, then presumably it'd be equally 'safe' to do so up here. The kids are going to have to go back sometime, and a wee three week session prior to the holidays would be great for them. We'd also get the opportunity to see if their return leads to an upturn or not in infection rates while they're off.

But that's just my own opinion

I'm a primary teacher in Edinburgh, and while they are lots of things being looked at by the governments (probably under pressure from frustrated parents) there are just too many obstacles and I get the feeling councils and unions aren't too chuffed about the idea.  

For example, in my class I have two children with additional needs that are so severe they are 1:1 support and would be totally unable to socially distance.  If I was to say they can't come back in June then technically I would be discriminating against them due to a disability.  The younger pupils wouldn't understand social distancing, and what would happen if we allowed older pupils back?  Half classes in the morning, half in the afternoon?  How do we sort who comes when?  Would some pupils require sheltering and how do we effectively teach them at the same pace as those in class as to ensure there attainment gap doesn't wider further?  So many problems for the sake of what would only be 3 or 4 weeks.

I actually would much rather we were in school, of course.  I've had next to no feedback from the majority of families and I worry about the state of their education come August. The councils also keep putting obstacles in our way regarding how we can interact (no twitter, zoom or video calls...) and while this happened fairly quickly, the schools and councils were not prepared for distance learning.  

In terms of the app for tracing, presumably it will be accompanied by a team of investigators who will chap doors of those who don't have phones (old school clipboard stuff). That's what happened in Asia with similar systems, anyway.

Manpower is an issue if the numbers of new cases remains high. We need to get the numbers down to a manageable level before we can isolate any new cases.

What do you go to those cities for when everything is shut, a walk ???

Hopefully travelling out of town will be the first thing to be reintroduced. I’m really missing going out in the country for walks. Missing going to Glasgow and Edinburgh for a jaunt. 

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, superbigal said:
The Apps gonna run on bluetooth and not gprs. Many wont have a clue what bluetooth is.
Many clearly dont have.
If your bluetooth is permanently switched on your "device" is already being tracked to an extent.
Bluetooth sensors probably in plenty places we already visit.

It would be utterly useless then, as all you have to do is turn your Bluetooth off.

If you were going to do that you wouldn't get the app in the first place, it's not going to be compulsory.

And they say guys can be cruel...

My good lady was just telling me there's a phrase circulating among the fairer sex to describe those who in a video conference call appear to have put on a noticeable and perhaps unreasonable amount of weight since lockdown started...

...the elephant in the Zoom.

I'm not missing your point at all.
I'm merely recognising the essential chauvanism behind it.

Fair enough

suggesting that a Scottish government would make a better job than Westminster can be written off as Scottish exceptionalism

But it would be easier to do so if somebody who wash less of a fucknugget than Boris Johnson happened to be in charge down there.

And they say guys can be cruel...
My good lady was just telling me there's a phrase circulating among the fairer sex to describe those who in a video conference call appear to have put on a noticeable and perhaps unreasonable amount of weight since lockdown started...
...the elephant in the Zoom.
Women are worse for petty nasty stuff about appearance.
No shock there.

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Fair enough

suggesting that a Scottish government would make a better job than Westminster can be written off as Scottish exceptionalism

But it would be easier to do so if somebody who wash less of a fucknugget than Boris Johnson happened to be in charge down there.

Well, obviously.