Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

There's a an article on page 6 of Friday's courier. Garden waste uplifts are set to start from May 11. Permits that were due to expire in June will now run until the end of August to take into account the break in service. The Highland Council website will have the dates on the calendar when these uplifts are for your road.

So even earlier than what I posted there.

That's fair enough though it means I've no excuse for not cutting the grass.. In other Inverness news there are slots available at Tesco and Morrisons for home delivery now, sometimes the next day. I remember you talking about having to spend 2 hours walking to Asda and back with your shopping.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Mmm don't really agree. You'd have a point if the UK was the first place it began spreading. The thing is by the time Cheltenham, Stereophonics gig etc were happening we had no reason to doubt the UK would follow the trends of Italy, Spain, France because every scientist around was explaining over and over what an exponential function is, and so it came to pass.

I think people knew of the risks of going to Cheltenham, Sterophonics etc and still decided to go. The Rangers v Leverkusen game was that week and on Sunday 15th there was a British basketball final in Glasgow. The risks were well known by this point but plenty of people decided to “take their chances” and attend. I’m sure people would still be going to sports or gigs right now if they were allowed to

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Also, figures I saw a week or so ago show that the nhs Trust around Cheltenham had been hit disproportionately hard with covid cases a couple of weeks after the meet. Trying to find these figures just now, but it was pretty obvious what the cause was. 

The Midlands area has been hit hard. It also has a very large BAME population. I don’t think these two things are a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

A French doctor has indicated he has found Covid-19 in a blood sample taken from a patient in December who had not travelled to China.

If that is true, the idea that it was in the UK around the same time, as touched upon briefly on this thread by a number of posters, is plausible.

If it was in the UK in December it is highly unlikely an event in March had much impact.

If it was in the UK in December then this would already be the second wave we are told to expect once lock down is lifted.

I’ve read various reports that it was in the UK in Jan. I don’t think this is outwith the realms of possibility at all. I’m sure patients displaying symptoms then or early Feb weren’t even tested for Covid as did the UK even have a test for it then? 

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That is me getting out for a walk around town every day 😂. Just scunnered that every ad break has the same “Corona” shit that we’ve heard for weeks 

Of course they’ll have to ditch them at certain work places. How can a barber or beauty therapist work 2 metres away from their client? There’s no way chefs in a small takeaway kitchen could social distance at all times. You’re totally right that they should be binned for everyone else as well in that case 

They really shouldn't.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes.  It seems that I was giving him the benefit of a doubt he subsequently snuffed out.

:lol:  Someone is desperate for a lockdown buddy.

Sorry I’m not that person, trying to educate you was fun while it lasted but it gets tedious after a while.

FWIW the only people I’d be happy to see dead en masse are Tories and QotS supporters; there’s probably a large crossover between those two.

I’ll give you the last word.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think people knew of the risks of going to Cheltenham, Sterophonics etc and still decided to go. The Rangers v Leverkusen game was that week and on Sunday 15th there was a British basketball final in Glasgow. The risks were well known by this point but plenty of people decided to “take their chances” and attend. I’m sure people would still be going to sports or gigs right now if they were allowed to

The Midlands area has been hit hard. It also has a very large BAME population. I don’t think these two things are a coincidence. 

I’ve read various reports that it was in the UK in Jan. I don’t think this is outwith the realms of possibility at all. I’m sure patients displaying symptoms then or early Feb weren’t even tested for Covid as did the UK even have a test for it then? 

My uncle died of pneumonia in February and he was in a care home. Loads of people visited him and had flu or coughs. None of it is related it's just the normal flu and illness season.

The virus quite clearly spread from China but perhaps it was around china in other areas than wuhan at first.

Read a little about this 'Test, Trace, Isolate, Support' method that's going to be used.

If I'm reading it right if you've been in the near vicinity of someone who tests positive you need to isolate for 14 days. I'm thinking that could be the new season for the football jiggered (likewise all sport). If one player were to test positive, the whole team would need to isolate 14 days. Probably the team they played the week before too.

Hope I'm very wrong though

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The trust that serves the Cheltenham area had double the deaths of neighbouring trusts in the weeks after the races 

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The Midlands area has been hit hard. It also has a very large BAME population. I don’t think these two things are a coincidence

I'd be interested to know what that has to do with the area around Cheltenham, which is probably one of the least ethnically diverse parts of the UK. 

16 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

My uncle died of pneumonia in February and he was in a care home. Loads of people visited him and had flu or coughs. None of it is related it's just the normal flu and illness season.

None of that explains why a highly contageous but not overly deadly virus which kills from causing pneumonia could not have gone undetected during a time of year where flu and pneumonia related deaths are relatively common.

I'm not saying it did, only that it's plausible.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I’m starting to see more and more meme types being posted by people opposing the lockdown. A few weeks ago it was all the “share this if you’ve stayed in your house all weekend” pish. Today quite a few of my FB “friends” posted one along the lines of “if you can’t see that a virus with an 98% survival rate is being used by the government to control you, you’re compliant”, type of thing. It would be nice if there was a middle ground meme! 

Short, daily updates on the current R0, the increase / decrease in positive test percentages, the number of critically ill and discharged patients, and the number of deaths are all that is required.

14 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m starting to see more and more meme types being posted by people opposing the lockdown. A few weeks ago it was all the “share this if you’ve stayed in your house all weekend” pish. Today quite a few of my FB “friends” posted one along the lines of “if you can’t see that a virus with an 98% survival rate is being used by the government to control you, you’re compliant”, type of thing. It would be nice if there was a middle ground meme! 

It would be nice if people on Facebook weren’t so easily swayed and didn’t feel the need to share everything.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Short, daily updates on the current R0, the increase / decrease in positive test percentages, the number of critically ill and discharged patients, and the number of deaths are all that is required.

There's nothing I've seen that would give me much confidence in an R0 stat put out by the SG or WM. 

39 minutes ago, madwullie said:

This is the Cheltenham stuff, from the telegraph 

Screenshot_20200504-132601_Chrome.jpg

You would have expected a spike back in Ireland a bit like here when the skiers came back from Northern Italy, but I don't think it happened.

The trouble is that some people see other countries starting to lift their lockdown and then think the same should happen here without thinking about anything else. Despite having been told since mid-March that we are two weeks behind Italy, when it means something they would like to see apparently we should just do the same as they've done and ignore everything else. Logic should dictate that our lockdown also is lifted around two weeks after Italy... 

We should be discussing how we plan to put our exit plan on place for a phased ending of lockdown, but at the same time need to be realistic about certain things (events/pubs or mass gatherings etc) that simply cannot reconvene in the foreseeable future. It is time for the government to provide detail on this or risk losing some people that are becoming increasingly fed up. This isn't a time for bollocks optimistic statements or ignoring the matter - set out a realistic timetable, though at the same time acknowledge that it may change based on events. The lockdown has been popular, but you can't depend on goodwill forever. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The trouble is that some people see other countries starting to lift their lockdown and then think the same should happen here without thinking about anything else. Despite having been told since mid-March that we are two weeks behind Italy, when it means something they would like to see apparently we should just do the same as they've done and ignore everything else. Logic should dictate that our lockdown also is lifted around two weeks after Italy... 

We should be discussing how we plan to put our exit plan on place for a phased ending of lockdown, but at the same time need to be realistic about certain things (events/pubs or mass gatherings etc) that simply cannot reconvene in the foreseeable future. It is time for the government to provide detail on this or risk losing some people that are becoming increasingly fed up. This isn't a time for bollocks optimistic statements or ignoring the matter - set out a realistic timetable, though at the same time acknowledge that it may change based on events. The lockdown has been popular, but you can't depend on goodwill forever. 

This is pretty much what i said last night.

38 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m starting to see more and more meme types being posted by people opposing the lockdown. A few weeks ago it was all the “share this if you’ve stayed in your house all weekend” pish. Today quite a few of my FB “friends” posted one along the lines of “if you can’t see that a virus with an 98% survival rate is being used by the government to control you, you’re compliant”, type of thing. It would be nice if there was a middle ground 

Ask them what the death rate would be if there wasn't a lockdown.