Coronavirus (COVID-19)

There’s a woman on my Facebook, who was a couple of years younger than me at school, who is really struggling with the idea of devolution. She has posted on three different occasions asking something along the lines of:

“who do i follow?? she’s the fm of scotland but he’s the UK prime minister (which we are still part of)”.

Jesus wept.

Edited by Scott-Replay

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Whilst not wanting to waste any sympathy on cuntface Johnson (better than ‘Boris’ isn’t it?) I do think trying to work out an exit strategy must be very difficult.

That said the U.K. government’s position is an unmitigated mess.  How is it possible to have a whole bunch of civil servants, public health experts and politicians work on a strategy and still end up with such an absolute shambles?

Looking at what Scotland, Wales and NI have chosen to do does seem the more practical way of doing things certainly.  Maintain the lockdown but allowing people to go out and exercise for a second time during the day will tentatively increase the potential contact with others but not go overboard.  As the numbers in hospital etc are on a downward trend then if there is any second spike it will be relatively low so hospitals should be able to cope.  I can see this being the norm for at least the next two weeks to see if the spike occurs.  If no spikes happen then I would suggest Sturgeon would then introduce the 'bubbles' for seeing family again and a small number of friends (probably within a home environment rather than outside in the street / parks etc) and again this would have to extend the lockdown further to assess any new spikes.  At the same time i suspect some businesses could open back up if social distancing can be adhered to and minimal interaction with members of the public unless PPE / screens etc could be used as well.

England seemed to have gone a bit gung-ho and will more than likely see a spike in the next week or two because of it.

2 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

There’s a woman on my Facebook, who was a couple of years younger than me at school, who is really struggling with the idea of devolution. She has posted on three different occasions asking some along the lines of:

“who do i follow?? she’s the fm of scotland but he’s the UK prime minister (which we are still part of)”.

Jesus wept.

Tell her to pray on it and listen to God's advice, then follow her heart

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A week or so ago, I was really hoping that the four parts of the UK would be announcing across-the-board small step relaxations. Of the sort that give you a ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ feeling. Maybe being able to meet family members, whatever. I certainly wasn’t expecting everything to return to normal overnight. The rhetoric coming out of Holyrood concerned me. I genuinely thought Sturgeon was intimating that no matter what rUK would do, Scotland would remain in lockdown. I was critical - I thought she might be doing it because she can.

I was wrong. She’s playing this well. Let BoJo make a rip roaring cnut of his address (which he did), then sit and watch what shitstorm he’s unleashed down there. Watch, observe, learn.... and plan a better, more cohesive, and less muddled route for Scotland. Her intent was never to have us stick to complete lockdown just because she can. She might not be 100% my cup of tea, but she’s not stupid.

Now it’s actually got interesting. The Boris Johnson Comedy Special was premiered last night, and Sturgeon can now watch it fall to pieces in front of her eyes, and make her moves accordingly.

Well played, and I am big enough and ugly enough to admit that.

I honestly don't think she's been as cynical as that. She's just being firm, consistent and open - leading like a leader should. The tories' spin, obfuscation, lies and lack of coherency have done her job from her. She's not made herself look good - the tories' awfulness has made her look good. 

Traffic jams on the M25 and busy tube trains this morning. And then there's Raab saying it would be Wednesday before anyone goes back. Shambles. 

Also can't quite understand how anyone can be ready to go back to work again when they're told they can at 7pm the night before. How many of them turned up to find that work is still shut? 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's worth remembering that it's not guaranteed that by being vulnerable you will get a bad dose.

By shielding as you have, whilst others have been out shopping etc, increases the chances the virus will pass through them and run out of viable hosts before it reaches you.

I understand your concern all the same and would suggest you take your own precautions in the few months after lockdown is lifted and return to activities you enjoy etc at a pace you are comfortable with

That's a very nice post.

I just remarked to my wife about 5 minutes ago that we could still be sitting here this time next year (under lockdown.)

Neither the two of us have been anywhere since before the lockdown never mind since - apart from one doctor's appointment each - and our Downs daughter hasn't been anywhere (she went to a Day Centre 4 days a week) either.

Fortunately all the things I enjoy doing aren't allowed at the minute, so I'm allright in that respect!

One of our granddaughters occasionally gets a few bits and pieces for us but stays the requisite 2m before leaving (she doesn't stay long, either, sometimes she just throws them in the door and leaves). She also helps deliver the food parcels but just knocks the door then leaves. Her brother & his girlfriend visited on Saturday but my wife said they maintained social distancing (I was in bed, not feeling well). I wasn't too keen on this visit, tbh.

Also we have had 3 of the grandchildren staying - they have been isolated, too. The only people they have been in contact with are their mother, and one visit from their dad.

But we're not exactly playing by the rules. I'm sure this is getting repeated all over the country.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Traffic jams on the M25 and busy tube trains this morning. And then there's Raab saying it would be Wednesday before anyone goes back. Shambles. 

Also can't quite understand how anyone can be ready to go back to work again when they're told they can at 7pm the night before. How many of them turned up to find that work is still shut? 

None, they're all stuck on the tube and the M25

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Tell her to pray on it and listen to God's advice, then follow her heart

The comments are even better. Someone trying to explain the etymology of “de-“as “down from” in Latin as a reason why she should listen to ‘Boris’ was a little too highbrow for this particular individual.

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Advice for making a workplace safe for covid has been available online for weeks from the HSE and the government itself.

Every employer should already know about this stuff. There's absolutely no excuse.

Absolutely, but you won't get far relying on "should". The correct course of action now is for every employer to contact their workforce, either individually or through TU relations, to inform them of what measures have been put in place to mitigate the raised risk. Then the employee, or their representative, can decide whether a return to the workplace is safe.

Telling the oiks to get to work with (in some cases) less than twelve hours notice - oh, and by the way, don't be using PT - is absolute bollox and betrays an absolute absence of any kind of understanding of how the world works.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I found it a wee bit scary, actually.

I'm in the "vulnerable" category (as is my wife), and my first reaction was Hilarious catchphrase from Private Frazer 'We're doomed. Doomed!' will be another stamp design

£1.45 for a postage stamp! Fcuk that, I'll post mine stamp free

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. Every society has their share of numpties. Remember the odds are still massively in your favour. My dad is 81 and very vulnerable lung wise, and he got through it.

Are you saying that your dad cannae get it again?

4 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

£1.45 for a postage stamp! Fcuk that, I'll post mine stamp free

Are you saying that your dad cannae get it again?

I noticed that, too. Can't remember that particular stamp.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm saying that it's their responsibility to work it out for themselves, just like everyone else, including myself, who has had kids and has had to make sacrifices for them.

Are your kids like your business, and your many degrees?

'Cos they'd be a lot easier to look after if they're imaginary.