Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Why would anyone not take the vaccine? Worst case it just doesn't work.

If only that were the worst case!

I'm guessing the potential for mid-long term side effects that cannot possibly be observed in a short test might worry people.

Bearing in mind only 11 people under the age of 40 have died of covid / suspected covid in Scotland I can understand the hesitancy from a healthy young person towards taking what will, ultimately, be a relatively untested vaccine

Edited by Todd_is_God

Why would anyone not take the vaccine? Worst case it just doesn't work.
WRK beat me to it.... Not working for its intended purpose isn't the worst case to someone injecting something into your body.
Thalidomide. Just sayin..

But yet, you would like to think we have came a lot further in terms of medical research and safety since then. The problem is that the speed at which this is being done is politically driven. My own trust in politicians and world leaders could scarcely be any lower, so it is much more of a quandary than "why wouldn't you want a cure?"

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

That was a bit sinister.

How so?

Simply an example of the possible consequences of using medicines where long-term effects haven't been anticipated.

If it makes you feel better:

Barbiturates.

Or

Benzodiazepines.

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

How so?

Simply an example of the possible consequences of using medicines where long-term effects haven't been anticipated.

If it makes you feel better:

Barbiturates.

Or

Benzodiazepines.

Sinister is Latin for left-handed. It was only the left-handed chiral molecule of Thalidomide that caused the deformities.

Probably too high-brow of a joke for this time on a Friday.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Sinister is Latin for left-handed. It was only the left-handed chiral molecule of Thalidomide that caused the deformities.

f**k sake mate I'd say that's too high-brow a joke for most university medicine departments, let alone p&b. And I'm pretty sure what day of the week it is has f**k all to do with it

Edited by madwullie

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I totally got it without you having to explain it......

Telegraph article suggesting 20% may be enough for herd immunity and we might have that already (according to the headline, need a free trial to read it and I'm a lazy b*****d) 

Surprised at that if true tbh

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

But yet, you would like to think we have came a lot further in terms of medical research and safety since then. The problem is that the speed at which this is being done is politically driven. My own trust in politicians and world leaders could scarcely be any lower, so it is much more of a quandary than "why wouldn't you want a cure?"

We would indeed, but Barbiturates were a "wonder drug" for anxiety and depression which turned out to be massively dangerous if misused (not necessarily abused). They were replaced in the early sixties by the Benzos (Valium and the like) which promised all the mental relief with none of the accidental overdose deaths. Google how many people are currently addicted to this lovely wee sweetie and its relatives after being prescribed it.I believe it's about a quarter of a million in England. This almost forty years after their use was restricted to short-term issue.

There are massive profits to be made in the pharmaceutical world, and I wouldn't trust those cúnts as far as I'd trust Dave "Glib 'n' Shameless" King.

14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Absolutely - it sailed over my head, at least!

ETA: What madwullie said.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Telegraph article suggesting 20% may be enough for herd immunity and we might have that already (according to the headline, need a free trial to read it and I'm a lazy b*****d) 

They touched on this a wee while back.

Something about T cells and exposure to other coronaviruses helping to build immunity / lessen the severity and slow the spread.

It would certainly help explain why easing lockdown has not caused any spikes so far.

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Surprised if anything that rag prints is true, tbh.

Back in normal times we all ken folk who ( don’t have any known underlying issues) seem to catch every pishy wee bug goin and those ( usually manky b*****ds) who rarely ever get sick. Could the initial surge in the spring have been those in group one all catching it quickly? I don’t know I’m just making stuff up now,i miss the fitbaw

Surprised if anything that rag prints is true, tbh.

In fairness it’s based on a scientific study rather than being a standard pishy editorial line, although there’s that many studies nowadays it’s not hard to find one to suit pretty much any angle or narrative.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Aye fine for drugs with unintended consequences but what's that got to do with a vaccine?

Are there any cases of a vaccine causing harm? Actual science answers only, anti-vaxxers need not respond.

I understand the wish to differentiate here, Mixu, but there are many who don't see Alcohol, Caffeine or even Tobacco as a drug. In my previous function, we defined a drug as "any substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body." I think you'll agree that this would include vaccines, even though they are radically different to other drugs, being prophylactic rather than re-active in their effects.

Aye fine for drugs with unintended consequences but what's that got to do with a vaccine?
Are there any cases of a vaccine causing harm? Actual science answers only, anti-vaxxers need not respond.
I'm not an anti vacxer by any means, nor am I a scientist, but surely if it's just a case of try it and if it misses, no harm done, why do vaccines take so long and require so much careful testing before mass usage?

If potential vaccines were a free hit we would he getting jabbed all the fucking time on the off chance the latest promising development worked for any number of ailments. Logic dictates that there must be some harm potential or else the testing protocols wouldn't be what they are, and circumventing them in this instance at least has to ring some alarm bells, even if you are comfortable dismissing them on a risk/reward basis

28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They touched on this a wee while back.

Something about T cells and exposure to other coronaviruses helping to build immunity / lessen the severity and slow the spread.

It would certainly help explain why easing lockdown has not caused any spikes so far.

Ah I didn't realise it was the t cell stuff 👍 

The most surprising development in the oxford vaccine saga is that they claim to be able to supply 2 billion doses by the end of October.

To produce anything like that amount they must have already begun making and stockpiling huge quantities.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I certainly won’t be trusting a vaccine that’s been rushed into the market. As I said from day one, I’d rather live my life and take chances. I’m relatively young (35) and fit and healthy. Each to their own but I won’t be getting it 

As with other vaccines, it's the risk of more healthy individuals passing the illness on to the more vulnerable groups in our society that makes it important that as high a percentage of the population as possible take it up if/ when it becomes available