Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Same. I was in the town centre at Ayr today for the first time sincerely May. Ayr was already grim before lockdown but so many shops/restaurants haven’t opened and are gone for good. Even Burger King, fs that was always crowded with neds! 

Lockdown was never to prevent deaths, it was to “prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed”. There is plenty of PPE, Ventilators and a pop up hospital now. People get run over and die, people die in car crashes that weren’t their fault, nobody wants roads closed. 

That was the stated aim of lockdown, but if that was the only aim it would have been lifted once the nhs was out of danger (if, in hindsight, it ever was in any danger) 

In Scotland at least I think we can say that saving as many lives as possible also became an aim, otherwise there would have been far less moaning on here about events being cancelled / England opening pub beer gardens a few days earlier. 

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:
10 hours ago, Tynierose said:
Things like that are bewildering.   It makes no sense at all and confuses people.
Also the whole holiday in Scotland campaign, well if everything that occupies kids etc is shut what's the point.
Infection rates are minimal, so what is rationale behind the decision after being open for weeks?

It's mental. We are consistently told how important the tourist industry is, but we will be lucky if anything is left after this.

Overheard in the appropriately distanced post office queue yesterday.

”Aye, Urquhart huv cancelled wur holiday. Ma daughter says she’ll get it rebooked when they come oot of liquidation”.

Leaving aside the obvious potential for a Sevco joke, some people are in for a surprise when they find out how much it can cost to holiday in Scotland if you don’t have the benefit of tour company rates.

Sad watching the news there, reporting from a swimming pool thats now open in England, knowing it's going to be many weeks before we can do the same up here.

I know there's good reasons behind it all, but its beginning to feel a little, almost, dictatorial.

12 hours ago, Monday 13th July said:

I think we'd all like to see the state funding golf memberships and equipment as a measure to combat obesity.    4 million memberships @  300 a pop, and the same again on vouchers for equipment rental would only cost the state about £1.4 billion per annum.    It would boost health and create jobs.  

I'll miss cycling over golf courses,  it was nice to see people using golf courses for walking dogs and cycling during lockdown.  

I got a cracking bit of turf from my local one. Just assumed that would be the bit they wanted me to take as it had a hole in it anyway.

I'll miss cycling over golf courses,  it was nice to see people using golf courses for walking dogs and cycling during lockdown.  

Sad watching the news there, reporting from a swimming pool thats now open in England, knowing it's going to be many weeks before we can do the same up here.
I know there's good reasons behind it all, but its beginning to feel a little, almost, dictatorial.

Apparently less than 20% of swimming pools in England will be opening today and 30% could be closed till next year.

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Same. I was in the town centre at Ayr today for the first time sincerely May. Ayr was already grim before lockdown but so many shops/restaurants haven’t opened and are gone for good. Even Burger King, fs that was always crowded with neds! 

Lockdown was never to prevent deaths, it was to “prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed”. There is plenty of PPE, Ventilators and a pop up hospital now. People get run over and die, people die in car crashes that weren’t their fault, nobody wants roads closed. 

To prevent the NHS being overwhelmed by very sick people, many of whom would die. That isn’t a tricky concept, surely?

Car crashes aren’t contagious and don’t generally lead to health systems nearly collapsing (which didn’t happen here but did happens elsewhere).

That we are so deep into a global pandemic and you still have morons comparing the situation to car crashes and the like - to minimise the severity of the situation and of what the potential future risks might be - is amazing. Sorry to hear that Burger King was closed though. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

11 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

What's the chances of being able to get to Amsterdam October time ?

I've got KLM flights booked from Inverness in October and December, vouchers available if I cancel for any reason and you get a year to rebook for flights that can be the year after.

12 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

With there being no exams (and as a result, an extra month to teach) we took the "let's get the courses underway" approach. I'm a quarter of the way through the Higher - some who have done f**k-all during lockdown might have a job explaining how they expect to stay in my class next month. 

There will be a real challenge soon to get things up and running evenly, given that as you say, plenty kids effectively chucked it during lockdown, while others engaged well.

In certificate classes, it's going to be difficult.  Some kids are definitely on the back foot already, and generally, they will be the ones who can least afford to be in that situation.  These first few weeks are going to be interesting.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

If the NHS was overwhelmed, people would die, it's pretty simple to work that out.

Road accidents aren't highly - or even slightly - contagious.

49 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

To prevent the NHS being overwhelmed by very sick people, many of whom would die. That isn’t a tricky concept, surely?

Car crashes aren’t contagious and don’t generally lead to health systems nearly collapsing (which didn’t happen here but did happens elsewhere).

That we are so deep into a global pandemic and you still have morons comparing the situation to car crashes and the like - to minimise the severity of the situation and of what the potential future risks might be - is amazing. Sorry to hear that Burger King was closed though. 

I’m not disputing the fact that if the NHS had been overwhelmed that it would lead to deaths. I’m just saying that there is no reason to lockdown again as the NHS would not be overwhelmed. Sadly people die every day. We can’t shut down life for the living to accommodate the few 

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m not disputing the fact that if the NHS had been overwhelmed that it would lead to deaths. I’m just saying that there is no reason to lockdown again as the NHS would not be overwhelmed. Sadly people die every day. We can’t shut down life for the living to accommodate the few 

12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It’s main aim wasn’t to prevent deaths though. We can go around in circles here but they didn’t have a lockdown to prevent deaths, it was because the situation in Italy of hospitals being overloaded and they panicked. I honestly don’t think there was any chance of the NHS being overwhelmed here anyway 

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s main aim wasn’t to prevent deaths though. We can go around in circles here but they didn’t have a lockdown to prevent deaths, it was because the situation in Italy of hospitals being overloaded and they panicked. I honestly don’t think there was any chance of the NHS being overwhelmed here anyway 

Now you're talking about "main aim".

You quite plainly wrote "lockdown was never to prevent deaths" which is palpable nonsense. It can be quite clearly inferred from "stopping the NHS being overwhelmed" = stopping deaths.

2 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Overheard in the appropriately distanced post office queue yesterday.

”Aye, Urquhart huv cancelled wur holiday. Ma daughter says she’ll get it rebooked when they come oot of liquidation”.

Leaving aside the obvious potential for a Sevco joke, some people are in for a surprise when they find out how much it can cost to holiday in Scotland if you don’t have the benefit of tour company rates.

Still reasonable in a tent.

I've got KLM flights booked from Inverness in October and December, vouchers available if I cancel for any reason and you get a year to rebook for flights that can be the year after.
Cool man. Sounds no bad then. I'm just no sure about 2nd waves and travel restrictions by then so don't want to get my hopes up.