Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, H Wragg said:
26 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
Civic Amenity Recycling Facility for ffs.

"for for f**k's sake"?

I think calling it a "dump" is well worth an extra for, fs...

Civic Amenity Recycling Facility for ffs.

They probably want to check you live in the council area they operate in, both the falkirk ones are just off the main road with police not allowing any queing on the road instead insisting you just drive up and down the road all day untill one time it’s clear when you’re passing [emoji20]
I chanced it and went to the one in Stirling which i knew had a mile long approach road, got in with nae checks but that was a few weeks ago so might be different now.

I don’t think America is a second wave rather just the first wave not fully supressed. Thing is we can do all we want here. Some countries are back to 98% normality within the country but so long as others have catastrophically high rates then there’s going to have to be suffocating restrictions.
What does the science say? Life will have to get back to normal at some point, if it does ( flights football no masks etc) are we still expecting a march style explosion?

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

They probably want to check you live in the council area they operate in

That was absolutely it. Luckily i was going for a haircut else I wouldn't have had my wallet.

Just wasn't expecting it 😂

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That’s why folk from the US shouldn’t be allowed to travel outwith their country. If they really need to travel they should be quarantined until a test reveals they’re clear 

Been at Legoland in Windsor today. It's underneath a Heathrow flight path. I'm a bit of an aviation geek, so was using Flight Radar app quite often when a plane flew overhead. I was really dismayed at the amount of flights USA bound - two to Miami in Florida. Presumably they brought Americans over on the inbound flights

23 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

What does the science say? Life will have to get back to normal at some point, if it does ( flights football no masks etc) are we still expecting a march style explosion?

I can't see that happening. Lowering the viral load appears to be very effective at reducing the severity of infections. With that in mind, people* are much more aware of how to minimise the risk of getting a large dose now.

Sanitising hands on a regular basis will become a habit, as will wearing masks in public spaces (possibly even after they are no longer mandated, and social distancing is observed where possible, but no longer a requirement).

We might see an increased level of cases, but, providing the theory about the viral load holds true, we will see very little serious infections, never mind getting anywhere near March / April levels.

*most people

Edited by Todd_is_God

17 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Been at Legoland in Windsor today. It's underneath a Heathrow flight path. I'm a bit of an aviation geek, so was using Flight Radar app quite often when a plane flew overhead. I was really dismayed at the amount of flights USA bound - two to Miami in Florida. Presumably they brought Americans over on the inbound flights

Madness. As if we didn’t learn anything from allowing every Tom, Dick and Harry, to fly into the UK as the virus was taking hold all over China/Europe 

Had a virtual info day with some of the top consultants in the field of cancer I have. Mostly saying haematological cancers have a 3x higher risk of Covid than general public. Hard to determine if having cancer alone is a risk or does age etc contribute. Worried government relaxing shielding and may force people back to unsafe work places. They are amazed at how brilliant shielding has been for physical health. They are seeing barely any patients being admitted with any viruses, pneumonia etc. All urge wearing of masks but feel hand washing message has become diluted and think this is much more important. 

3 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

All urge wearing of masks but feel hand washing message has become diluted and think this is much more important. 

The government messaging seems to be only capable of focusing on one thing at a time.  With that happening it’s not that much of a surprise some people will think ‘instead of‘ rather than ‘as well as’

Had a virtual info day with some of the top consultants in the field of cancer I have. Mostly saying haematological cancers have a 3x higher risk of Covid than general public. Hard to determine if having cancer alone is a risk or does age etc contribute. Worried government relaxing shielding and may force people back to unsafe work places. They are amazed at how brilliant shielding has been for physical health. They are seeing barely any patients being admitted with any viruses, pneumonia etc. All urge wearing of masks but feel hand washing message has become diluted and think this is much more important. 
I was discussing this with my wife. We've definitely let up with the extra handwashing routines a bit in the last month or so.

Pretty much back to normal, which isn't good.

He's in the same office as me and I saw him cough once at around 9:30am, he was sent home about an hour later. I think most folk, including his manager and our health and safety guy, think that he's fine but sent him home as a precaution. Some of the simpletons on the shop floor have taken this precaution as a positive test being returned and are now blaming this guy for their impending death.
Personally I think he's got to work on a Monday morning and thought "f**k this", started coughing and told his manager it might be best if he works from home. A positive test being announced tomorrow could lead to some incredible scenes though.
That is fucking bonkers. I have a persistent cough caused by acid reflux, if I had been sent home whenever I coughed a couple of times in the last few months I'd never have been in the fecking place.

6 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I find it utterly outrageous that other people are allowed to currently do something they enjoy doing while I currently can't do something completely unrelated.

The pubs and the health centres closing at roughly the same time were completely unrelated? 

We can go for a pint now, which is great, but some health related treatments are not allowed to resume yet because of this virus doesn't sit right with me.

I can't see that happening. Lowering the viral load appears to be very effective at reducing the severity of infections. With that in mind, people* are much more aware of how to minimise the risk of getting a large dose now.

Sanitising hands on a regular basis will become a habit, as will wearing masks in public spaces (possibly even after they are no longer mandated, and social distancing is observed where possible, but no longer a requirement).

We might see an increased level of cases, but, providing the theory about the viral load holds true, we will see very little serious infections, never mind getting anywhere near March / April levels.

*most people

What is the story with viral load? I don’t understand the term. Is it getting weaker? Or have we just cut out the biggest spreading opportunities like large crowded events with a high number of pished folk shouting and singing? Is the treatment better so that folk who would have died in march will now recover? Or is it just that many in the spring might have been on the road out anyway and covid just helped them out the door?

I know much has been made about the care home debacles with patients chucked out of hospitals without tests, but I’m assuming they caught it at the hospital and it was brought there by younger healthier folk

6 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

What is the story with viral load? I don’t understand the term. Is it getting weaker?

I think the suggestion was that the virus itself is not getting weaker, but that people are getting less of it leading to less severe infections.

I'm assuming it works a bit like radioactive particles where if you move the source further from you (social distancing), or use a lead shield (face mask), the dose is smaller and less likely to cause serious harm.

Cant believe that sage actually made these decisions tbh.
Herd immunity
Large crowds ok
Moving infected people into care homes
Masks not effective
Testing a waste of time

These are well respected experienced scientists with decades of good work behind them. It doesn't make any sense but they came out with things that a child would know is obviously a bad idea.
Scapegoats imo

9 hours ago, chocolateankles said:

Coughing in public will be viewed as someone carrying the black death to be avoided at all costs. Probably the same as sneezing.  It's the way it's going to be for a while.

Who was it that said 'I used to cough to cover my fart, now I fart to cover my cough' ?

Cant believe that sage actually made these decisions tbh.
Herd immunity
Large crowds ok
Moving infected people into care homes
Masks not effective
Testing a waste of time

These are well respected experienced scientists with decades of good work behind them. It doesn't make any sense but they came out with things that a child would know is obviously a bad idea.
Scapegoats imo

I find that article kind of bizarre. Devi Sridhar quoted as saying that she was aware of asymptomatic transmission in February but the First Minister says she wasn’t aware until April, even though Sridhar was on the FMs Covid 19 advisory group? How can that be?

I think that a lot of scientists and advisors got things wrong in the early days of the pandemic but that doesn’t absolve the politicians of responsibility at all, they should be pushing their advisors and interrogating the advice.