Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, Gaz said:

Tonight was the first time I've saw a person in a shop without a mask on. Walking around the shop while talking and laughing on the phone.

I get that some folk don't need to wear masks, and I've no problem with that, but surely if you're not wearing a mask for health reasons you would attempt to minimise the amount of talking / laughing you'd be doing?

Utter weapon.

How do you know they can’t wear one for medical reasons?

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Genuine question. What medical reasons would proclude them for wearing a mask in a shop? Asthma?

Lip reading,  physical disabilities, respiratory problems etc. There doesn't seem to be a list as such, more some vague suggestions. 

Genuine question. What medical reasons would proclude them for wearing a mask in a shop? Asthma?
Nope. Mrs B has asthma and not only is willing to wear a mask, but works for the NHS who know about her asthma and still deem it safe for her to wear a mask.

My understanding of asthma was that it is triggered by the release of histamine which irritates the lungs. I know over exertion can bring it on but I dont see how wearing a mask or loose face covering (face coverings being what's been mandated) could be seen as a trigger for asthma. Especially in people who keep on top of it with preventers. Surely anyone with asthma severe enough to not be able to loosely cover their face shouldn't be in the shops? Could be wrong, but Mrs Bs is at least moderate if not quite bad and she hasnt made a peep about not wearing a mask.

Maybe she thinks that COVID + asthma carries more of a risk than mask for 10 minutes + asthma. She would of course be absolutely correct.

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

Lip reading,  physical disabilities, respiratory problems etc. There doesn't seem to be a list as such, more some vague suggestions. 

True. Wearing masks is definitely not the preferred option but for a wee while in a shop shouldn't be a game changer for personal health but will be a game changer in the spread of the virus.

Edited by jimbaxters

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Which would probably be slightly exacerbated if they caught COVID.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

True. Wearing masks is definitely not the preferred option but for a wee while in a shop shouldn't be a game changer for personal health but will be a game changer in the spread of the virus.

Do you work in the medical profession?

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's it, you're basically wearing it for around 20 - 30 minutes max and if it reduces the numbers of infections then it's worth it. Bairnardo sums it up pretty well, few posts up.

2 hours ago, Pcplum said:

How do you know they can’t wear one for medical reasons?

Did you actually read what I'd written?

I specifically said that I've no problem with folk who don't need to wear masks. My bugbear was that, if you were exempt from wearing a mask, surely you'd still go some way to mitigate the droplets that are coming out of your mouth and not walk around a shop laughing and joking on a phone.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

There's a non-exhaustive list of reasonable excuses in the legislation, here:

Screenshot_20200720-104836_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Did I hear right that France have mandated masks in restaurants? Spaghetti only?

In Italy, the rules are that masks can be taken off when seated at a table but put back on when going to the bathroom etc.

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

Tonight was the first time I've saw a person in a shop without a mask on. Walking around the shop while talking and laughing on the phone.

I get that some folk don't need to wear masks, and I've no problem with that, but surely if you're not wearing a mask for health reasons you would attempt to minimise the amount of talking / laughing you'd be doing?

Utter weapon.

I’m seeing more and more people not wearing them. I went to the chippy in Maybole yesterday and there was 6 people in, 4 of which didn’t have face coverings. Folk are chucking it already in the same way they chucked lockdown measures