Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The app here works off Bluetooth and simply tells you whether or not your phone has been in contact with someone who has reported a positive test. Of course, it relies on people actually updating the app if they have a positive test. I assume you'd be expected to self isolate but it doesn't track anything other than the signals it gets from other phones using the app.

Personally this is a better system than the current "track and trace" one IMO.

If you go to a bar and leave details, all that tells is you were in the bar, not where you were sitting. Much better to only have to isolate if you were within x metres of someone for a period of time rather than simply being inside the same building as them, regardless of its size or distance from them.

On top of that, it works everywhere, not just a select few types of business.

It also has a psychological benefit whereby you don't need to physically sign in and out everywhere, which feels more natural.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So if cases quadruple between now and mid October, with no rise in hospitalisations, you wouldn't be saying "oh we need to wait and see what it's like in x weeks?"

This isn't aimed at you specifically, but it's easy to say what would show me to be wrong. At what point would the "wait and see" brigade be declared wrong?

Well Yes, I might be.

I'd look at the situation around the world and if the likes of Spain and France were getting lots of positive cases but hardly any hospitalisations or deaths, then I'd conclude that the strain had weakened and that it wasn't so dangerous, however that would only be my own educated guess and I'd expect the scientific data to be much more accurate and in depth than my suppositions.

If you go to a bar and leave details, all that tells is you were in the bar, not where you were sitting. Much better to only have to isolate if you were within x metres of someone for a period of time rather than simply being inside the same building as them, regardless of its size or distance from them.

It also has a psychological benefit whereby you don't need to physically sign in and out everywhere, which feels more natural.

But needs a very high % of the public to activate it to provide anywhere near the effectiveness of track and trace which seems in Scotland to be effective. That said it's designed to work alongside T&T not instead of. It's meant for locations outwith the contact details scope eg public transport, shopping centres and no doubt sports and concert venues once crowds return.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But needs a very high % of the public to activate it to provide anywhere near the effectiveness of track and trace which seems in Scotland to be effective.

Depends how you measure "effective"

Effective in identifying positive tests, or effective in stopping the spread?

It will go like this...... first to last

Indoor gatherings

Return to shielding

Pubs/restaurants

Gyms etc

High Schools to blended learning

Primary schools to blended learning

Be extremely difficult gaining folks buy in this time around

from bbc regarding test events

Two of Saturday's Scottish Premiership matches will be played in front of fans after the Scottish government approved their applications to be test events.

Aberdeen's game with Kilmarnock and Ross County's meeting with Celtic will both have up to 300 spectators.

Both home clubs must ensure supporters are from their local areas and must provide a post-match report.

All I have to say to that is I hope they come up with something better than the drivel you often see or hear on the bbc

seriously tho, 300 at pitoddrie is a smaller percentage than 600 at Murrayfield, its going to be another exercise in f**k all

20 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

from bbc regarding test events

Two of Saturday's Scottish Premiership matches will be played in front of fans after the Scottish government approved their applications to be test events.

Aberdeen's game with Kilmarnock and Ross County's meeting with Celtic will both have up to 300 spectators.

Both home clubs must ensure supporters are from their local areas and must provide a post-match report.

All I have to say to that is I hope they come up with something better than the drivel you often see or hear on the bbc

seriously tho, 300 at pitoddrie is a smaller percentage than 600 at Murrayfield, its going to be another exercise in f**k all

There is little value in these "tests" if the learns from one cannot be applied in advance of the next one.

We already know that we can handle ~1% of ground capacity, and nothing from Pittodrie will make any difference to that.

If these really are tests, then they should be scaling up each time. 5%, then 10%, then 20% etc.

Not only that, Brighton had 2,500 in their main stand recently. Surely we can take learns from that as well rather than absolutely have to do everything from scratch. To the surprise of absolutely nobody, these tests will be successful.

As has been so often the case since March, the SG are very good at identifying and rhyming off the negatives from across the globe. They remain completely unwilling to pay attention to and emulate what is done well, however.

NS on down with this sort of thing mode again today:
To younger people, please think about your loved ones and to older people be even more vigilant with hygiene and distancing if you’re spending time with young relatives who might have been in pubs and restaurants.
It's absolutely wild that they're lecturing on this while letting weans run around all day in huge non-distanced groups and then go hug their grannies straight afterwards. The blame game is already being set up here in the event of failing to reverse the current trend.

Except numerous governments have been saying there is little evidence of transmission amongst kids, so maybe you like to present your evidence to the contrary?

Bearing in mind that kids have not required to socially distance for weeks if not months, and have not yet been linked to any clusters or up ticks in cases, I'd suggest wel be waiting a while on your silver bullet, all the while subsequent increasing levels of interactions for the young adult group in question have led to a significant upturn in positive cases (an actual measurable, not a screeching fud on a football forum). This either means they are more susceptible, or they are more lax with the rules. Take your pick, it really doesnt matter which it is. The result is the same.

So aye, you carry on with your one trick routine, but until you actually have something to contradict the various news items we have all seen saying transmission in kids is less, you will continue being a figure of fun.

Every day there's a school in the press with a positive case and a whole load of people sent home. The schools in England have only just gone back but I don't find it a coincidence that the schools going back has coincided with a marked rise of cases in Scotland. Is transmission lower? Maybe, I have no idea. Even if it is, there is however a huge risk presented given the volume of interactions and potential for passing it on at school or taking it home to the parents. 

It's a risk that the Government has determined it will tolerate in order to minimise disruption to eductation. The schools are not "safe" as much as some would like to pretend they are. 

Here is an example of it all going wrong: www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-11/as-u-s-schools-reopen-israel-s-mistakes-offer-cautionary-tale 

Edited by Michael W

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Except numerous governments have been saying there is little evidence of transmission amongst kids, so maybe you like to present your evidence to the contrary?

Try the roaring uptick in cases, percentage of positive tests and actual school outbreaks that have developed in the past four weeks m8. 

Bearing in mind that kids have not required to socially distance for weeks if not months, and have not yet been linked to any clusters or up ticks in cases, I'd suggest wel be waiting a while on your silver bullet,

I don't think you know what 'silver bullet' means tbh as that garbled 'point' makes no sense. 

It's almost as if there's a blindingly obvious distinction in terms of risk between 'weans being allowed to run around outside in groups duirng the summer holidays ' and 'weans being forced to sit in a classroom with 30 other people all day, before then running around and doing what they want afterwards and at the weekend as well'. One that might be borne out by the above measurements within the first few weeks of an idiotic policy being implemented.

all the while subsequent increasing levels of interactions for the young adult group in question have led to a significant upturn in positive cases (an actual measurable, not a screeching fud on a football forum). This either means they are more susceptible, or they are more lax with the rules. Take your pick, it really doesnt matter which it is. The result is the same.

So aye, you carry on with your one trick routine, but until you actually have something to contradict the various news items we have all seen saying transmission in kids is less, you will continue being a figure of fun.

The only figure of fun around here is the Parent of the Year nominee who wanted to chuck their weans into a school during a global pandemic and nationwide lockdown just because you couldn't be arsed looking after them anymore. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

ribery.gif.f72c25fe20b3dda7b063c9745e00b86a.gif

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Every day there's a school in the press with a positive case and a whole load of people sent home. The schools in England have only just gone back but I don't find it a coincidence that the schools going back has coincided with a marked rise of cases in Scotland. Is transmission lower? Maybe, I have no idea. Even if it is, there is however a huge risk presented given the volume of interactions and potential for passing it on at school or taking it home to the parents. 

It's a risk that the Government has determined it will tolerate in order to minimise disruption to eductation. The schools are not "safe" as much as some would like to pretend they are. 

Been saying this for a while.

If they just came out and said "look, we know this isn't safe, but we need kids back into school so parents can go back to work and get the economy moving again" you'd have to grudgingly give them some respect for being honest.

This whole pretending schools are safe is a nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The schools are not "safe" as much as some would like to pretend they are. 

I don't think anyone up here has been saying they're safe. For all a certain poster on here keeps droning on about how chicken and slow the SG have been in opening everything up, it's a massive experiment on the demographic group least likely to get seriously ill from the virus, and to see if the inevitable wider transmission can be controlled. If localised outbreaks can be dampened down with a minimum of intervention, it provides a model for opening everything else up. 

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Been saying this for a while.

If they just came out and said "look, we know this isn't safe, but we need kids back into school so parents can go back to work and get the economy moving again" you'd have to grudgingly give them some respect for being honest.

This whole pretending schools are safe is a nonsense.

They can't do that, as that would involve admitting they are accepting of any number cases, so long as they are in a particular environment. Something they have been adamant was unacceptable throughout.

They painted themselves so far into a corner with some of the stuff they said (or didn't say) early on with regards to relative risk in different age groups / otherwise healthy people, and laid it on so thick, that the paint is still wet.

Edited by Todd_is_God

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Try the roaring uptick in cases, percentage of positive tests and actual school outbreaks that have developed in the past four weeks m8. 

I don't think you know what 'silver bullet' means tbh as that garbled 'point' makes no sense. 

It's almost as if there's a blindingly obvious distinction in terms of risk between 'weans being allowed to run around outside in groups duirng the summer holidays ' and 'weans being forced to sit in a classroom with 30 other people all day, before then running around and doing what they want afterwards and at the weekend as well'. One that might be borne out by the above measurements within the first few weeks of an idiotic policy being implemented.

The only figure of fun around here is the Parent of the Year nominee who wanted to chuck their weans into a school during a global pandemic and nationwide lockdown just because you couldn't be arsed looking after them anymore. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

ribery.gif.f72c25fe20b3dda7b063c9745e00b86a.gif

You haven't had a good day at all m9. Hope things pick up tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, mizfit said:

1st week of October for England.
25th Sept for Scotland and Wales.

Anyone have this week for England, this is moving quickly again !!!

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see it. The measures undertaken in the NW to date have proven to be a failure so no doubt the broad brush will be out shortly.