Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Thing I don't understand is if the test is worth having if the person is asymptomatic. In July the SG was saying no, has this changed?

image.thumb.png.cd84b582a2f2806bea91de9e2c7fdd93.png

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested/pages/who-can-be-tested/

Or was that just the advice for when capacity was limited and it is worth getting tested if you're asymptomatic but are looking after someone at risk?

I know you didn’t say for fun. You said for no reason at all. 

No I don’t think most people would be surprised. The symptoms of covid are fairly common symptoms of other things so it’s natural if they’re saying get tested if you have a temperature for example  then a lot of people will be getting tested. If the symptoms were a cock was growing on your head I’d expect the tests to be much lower. Maybe not relatively speaking to a lot of the people who post on this thread, but generally  

I said that it seems that way.
Didn't say it was good or bad, it is a good thing obviously.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aye i've just checked. 29% in Scotland are obese, and 20% in Sweden

I think population density would also be more of an issue, at least in England. The Glasgow effect would probably have kicked in for those in the West of Scotland too. Whatever the case, I think we have to accept that the virus is here for the long haul and get on with things as best we can.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thing I don't understand is if the test is worth having if the person is asymptomatic. In July the SG was saying no, has this changed?

image.thumb.png.cd84b582a2f2806bea91de9e2c7fdd93.png

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested/pages/who-can-be-tested/

Or was that just the advice for when capacity was limited and it is worth getting tested if you're asymptomatic but are looking after someone at risk?

PCR testing, in the absence of symptoms, isn't useful for identifying anyone who is infectious.

Test and isolate asymptomatic people if the SG must, but we'd be far better announcing only the number of symptomatic positive cases each day IMO.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I think population density would also be more of an issue, at least in England. The Glasgow effect would probably have kicked in for those in the West of Scotland too. Whatever the case, I think we have to accept that the virus is here for the long haul and get on with things as best we can.

I can't remember who it was, but someone yesterday suggested we should get back to normal ASAP, with the exception of masks on public transport and in indoor / crowded public places.

I agree with them.

Edited by Todd_is_God

The Swedes were probably correct in their approach, but it's not really an approach you'd want to take in a country where significantly more people have other issues that seem to make this virus a tad more deadly. The death rate in Sweden was high enough, but factor in how many more folk in the UK are obese or have underlying health issues when compared to Sweden and it would have seen comparatively huge numbers of dead back home.
Could be argued the Swedish approach worked for them in part due to nordic culture being more collectivist vs Scotland & the UK as a whole. It's a sociological concept known as the Law Of Jante (Jantelagen in Swedish).

4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, Ross. said:
The Swedes were probably correct in their approach, but it's not really an approach you'd want to take in a country where significantly more people have other issues that seem to make this virus a tad more deadly. The death rate in Sweden was high enough, but factor in how many more folk in the UK are obese or have underlying health issues when compared to Sweden and it would have seen comparatively huge numbers of dead back home.

Could be argued the Swedish approach worked for them in part due to nordic culture being more collectivist vs Scotland & the UK as a whole. It's a sociological concept known as the Law Of Jante (Jantelagen in Swedish).

I'm giving that a greeny because it has led me to the discovery of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Something I am familiar with in several contexts but have never seen described as such.

Edited by Ross.

I can't remember who it was, but someone yesterday suggested we should get back to normal ASAP, with the exception of masks on public transport and in indoor / crowded public places.
I agree with them.
We have been told this week that home working will now be to at least the end of March (was initially December) as social distancing will be in force at least until then.

We have been told this week that home working will now be to at least the end of March (was initially December) as social distancing will be in force at least until then.

Our works slowly increasing capacity for office working but have said no pressure to return and are happy to be flexible going forward.

I’m happy now homeworking with my girlfriend back to work, I’m not tiptoeing around her during my work and can just lie on the couch with the laptop.

Our works slowly increasing capacity for office working but have said no pressure to return and are happy to be flexible going forward.

I’m happy now homeworking with my girlfriend back to work, I’m not tiptoeing around her during my work and can just lie on the couch with the laptop.
We are at max which is 70 odds from 260 odds.

34 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
I agree with them.

Grim

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Greece's R number and infection rate drops for second week running - which makes this week's quarantine decision look even more stupid.

The issue is not Greece but the hard core of morons closer to home.

The morons closer to home are going to Greek island resorts, acting like morons with their fellow morons and bringing it back to the UK in clearly fucking obvious clusters, especially from Zante. I agree that the SG deciding that being in Thessaloniki constitutes a grave health risk is ridiculous (though there is at least the possibility of people travelling to mainland Greece just to get a 'non quarantine' flight back instead) but at least some of the islands should absolutely require self isolation right now. The season is practically done anyway.

What I do not understand is why people are ripping their knitting about 'having to quarantine' upon return though. Anyone who chooses to go out of the country should at least be prepared for that potential outcome. If the SG said for example that I had to self isolate after coming back from Prague in July then I could and would have done so - if people don't want to do that then shouldn't have gone abroad in the first place.

What I do not understand is why people are ripping their knitting about 'having to quarantine' upon return though. Anyone who chooses to go out of the country should at least be prepared for that potential outcome. If the SG said for example that I had to self isolate after coming back from Prague in July then I could and would have done so - if people don't want to do that then shouldn't have gone abroad in the first place.

I completely agree. I could understand (though not sympathise) with someone being caught out earlier when the first restrictions were reintroduced. But someone who has gone to Portugal or Greece after seeing Spain etc being restricted has no reason to complain. They knew the risks

A KFC and McDonalds in Glasgow shut because staff have covid. The former is shut for 2 weeks. Don’t know whether they’re doing that for “good PR” or fear? 🤔

in other news the Christmas street party here has been cancelled...and the fireworks display which happens down the beach and has about 300 folk there. Social distancing could easily have happened but my stupidity for thinking anything like that would happen before the magical date of 1st Jan 2021 🙄

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

A KFC and McDonalds in Glasgow shut because staff have covid. The former is shut for 2 weeks. Don’t know whether they’re doing that for “good PR” or fear? 🤔

in other news the Christmas street party here has been cancelled...and the fireworks display which happens down the beach and has about 300 folk there. Social distancing could easily have happened but my stupidity for thinking anything like that would happen before the magical date of 1st Jan 2021 🙄

Why don't you offer your obvious expertise to the organisers then, instead of whining like a fucking bitch on here 24 hours a day?