Coronavirus (COVID-19)

37 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The governments are making political decisions. Both the UK and Scottish governments are using 'terrifying' statistics to justify a lockdown that will be utterly pointless and which will cause long term devastation in many ways...simply because they believe that a traumatised population will support them in doing that. 

Both governments (especially Westminster) got their fingers burned at the beginning of this, because they didn't act quickly enough. Every single decision they've made since them has been designed to protect their backs. 

Objectivity is out the window. It's all about Johnson and Sturgeon being able to say that they acted tough. 

But aren't most countries doing similar? Israel is back in proper lockdown. Various other countries are toughening up the measures. I mean, our mob(s) have made an absolute c**t of it, but at the same time the virus isn't behaving particularly differently in othe replaces, and neither are the governments

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, madwullie said:

But aren't most countries doing similar? Israel is back in proper lockdown. Various other countries are toughening up the measures. I mean, our mob(s) have made an absolute c**t of it, but at the same time the virus isn't behaving particularly differently in othe replaces, and neither are the governments

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a major European country outside the UK that is considering another full scale lockdown. 

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Young lad from my work says he will more than likely end up at a couple of house parties this weekend. And before the likes of vergingBore start their pish, no I won't be grassing him up 🙄

1 hour ago, philpy said:

How could I grass someone up if I don't even know where they are going. You facking muppets.

^^^ scrambling for relevance

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a major European country outside the UK that is considering another full scale lockdown. 
St Andrew's Uni tonight declared a unilateral lockdown for its students over the weekend. Stay in your rooms, no mixing, all campus events cancelled, don't go to parties, bars or restaurants.

Tarquin and Araminta say it's for the best when interviewed !

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

St Andrew's Uni tonight declared a unilateral lockdown for its students over the weekend. Stay in your rooms, no mixing, all campus events cancelled, don't go to parties, bars or restaurants.

Tarquin and Araminta say it's for the best when interviewed !

I know that at Glasgow Uni, one of my colleagues had been talking to a police friend of his and that they had to break up 6 fairly large student parties already and that was last week when they have only been back a week. Wouldn’t be surprised if St Andrews is having similar problems.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

See this lockdown chat that seems to rearing its head, are they going to shut down the football again? I'm not even sure of that's a stupid question or not. It just seems like we are calling it a lockdown but the chat doesnt seem to be anything like the first one.

I mean, are we really going to be going back ridiculous queues and one way systems at the shops for example?

In time, probably

Saw a tweet today referencing this quote, by a former minister, about the grouse shooting exemption.

Choirs have been associated with dozens of .super-spreader events.  

Here's a link to a paper on aerosol transmission within a choir practice.

https://twitter.com/jljcolorado/status/1306450428867964930?s=20

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Just to add, like I said before I am not trying to defend the governments here. Only that people have to be realistic and realise that there isn’t a solution to this that the government aren’t doing. There is no solution at the moment.

I understand the point about being realistic but the rhetoric of 'possibly maybe a second lockdown but maybe not' of the last few days from a completely fractured government is certainly not helpful. 

The first lockdown served a purpose in curbing it but always came with the caveat that it was a necessary step to drive the virus down and most importantly, the goal that the sacrifice would hopefully keep numbers down for a long period. We've now seen though that this is not the case. The lockdown itself lasted longer than the length of time the numbers stayed down. 

We've now learned that whilst driving it down through a complete shutdown of everything is possible, keeping it down is a whole different story. I fully understand bringing in certain restrictions at this point but a blanket lockdown again will drive numbers down and physical and mental illness up, especially at a time of year when people naturally suffer more in normal circumstances. If we do lockdown again we will almost certainly push the numbers lower like last time but then in 3 months after ending lockdown, we'll be back in the same place again. 

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Saw a tweet today referencing this quote, by a former minister, about the grouse shooting exemption.

Choirs have been associated with dozens of .super-spreader events.  

Here's a link to a paper on aerosol transmission within a choir practice.

https://twitter.com/jljcolorado/status/1306450428867964930?s=20

Choirs should just be banned on a matter of principle anyway

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I understand the point about being realistic but the rhetoric of 'possibly maybe a second lockdown but maybe not' of the last few days from a completely fractured government is certainly not helpful. 

The first lockdown served a purpose in curbing it but always came with the caveat that it was a necessary step to drive the virus down and most importantly, the goal that the sacrifice would hopefully keep numbers down for a long period. We've now seen though that this is not the case. The lockdown itself lasted longer than the length of time the numbers stayed down. 

We've now learned that whilst driving it down through a complete shutdown of everything is possible, keeping it down is a whole different story. I fully understand bringing in certain restrictions at this point but a blanket lockdown again will drive numbers down and physical and mental illness up, especially at a time of year when people naturally suffer more in normal circumstances. If we do lockdown again we will almost certainly push the numbers lower like last time but then in 3 months after ending lockdown, we'll be back in the same place again. 

Back in the same place except a vast number of companies will have liquidated and millions unemployed

1 minute ago, Binos said:

Back in the same place except a vast number of companies will have liquidated and millions unemployed

Well, yeah. I meant purely in terms of the numbers just increasing again.

Lockdowns are just putting off increases in cases, not actively trying to combat the issue. 

The physical, mental, psychological and financial impact of the first lockdown will be felt for years worldwide, not just in this country. The thought of going back to that and putting even more people, communities and small businesses through it again is the nuclear option and needs to be avoided at all costs. 

I see the idiots at the WHO are now saying eye protection might be the next recommendation after studies showed spec wearers were less affected.

I'm on to Ali Baba for 500 pairs of goggles !!!

What happened to the crowds in Germany see Bayern is CD tonight.

Not sure thats idiotic nor new.