Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm sure it was more BJ bullshit and not really worth spending too much time thinking about, but what did Johnson say last night towards the end - something about testing entire towns or cities?

He also said something about things being better in the spring, but did he offer any reason as to why?

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

I'm sure it was more BJ bullshit and not really worth spending too much time thinking about, but what did Johnson say last night towards the end - something about testing entire towns or cities?

He also said something about things being better in the spring, but did he offer any reason as to why?

Maybe he's resigning in January?

As far as hope goes, I genuinely believe that they know when a vaccine is coming. To my mind it stands to reason at this point that they know. I also believe it will be soon, and that's why they havent steamed in as much so far. That's where I am pinning my Hope's anyway. Testing etc needs to get better of course, but despite Donathon letting us all down repeatedly (turns out Boris was his vaccine guy), I still #believe

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

As far as hope goes, I genuinely believe that they know when a vaccine is coming. To my mind it stands to reason at this point that they know. I also believe it will be soon, and that's why they havent steamed in as much so far. That's where I am pinning my Hope's anyway. Testing etc needs to get better of course, but despite Donathon letting us all down repeatedly (turns out Boris was his vaccine guy), I still #believe

I think, if that was the buzz around any other leader from the past 30 years, if they told me a vaccine was close, id maybe be inclined to believe them, with BJ i just cant believe a word he says. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Johnson has been saying for some time now that he "knows" that it will be much different come Spring. The only way he could "know" that would be if a vaccine was almost ready to go.

There's a fair chance it won't be that effective, but this will be masked by cases and deaths dropping over the spring and summer, and will be used to proclaim its success. People will take it because they have had enough, and people will go out and mix again, though I expect mass gatherings like festivals and full stadiums will be another year away.

By the time next Winter comes, we'll be in a Sweden / Belarus type situation where a greater level of immunity has been built up leaving the level of deaths that will come at a fraction of what they were this year.

Government save face, people can go for a pint, everyone is happy.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Johnson has been saying for some time now that he "knows" that it will be much different come Spring. The only way he could "know" that would be if a vaccine was almost ready to go.

There's a fair chance it won't be that effective, but this will be masked by cases and deaths dropping over the spring and summer, and will be used to proclaim its success. People will take it because they have had enough, and people will go out and mix again, though I expect mass gatherings like festivals and full stadiums will be another year away.

By the time next Winter comes, we'll be in a Sweden / Belarus type situation where a greater level of immunity has been built up leaving the level of deaths that will come at a fraction of what they were this year.

Government save face, people can go for a pint, everyone is happy.

Can't come quick enough

Edited by Steven W

28 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Amazingly enough it's seems to be possible...

Nearly half of Slovakia’s entire population were tested for coronavirus on Saturday, as the country began a two day testing programme which it hopes will bring the virus under control without further lockdown measures.

Of the 2.58 million Slovaks who took the test, 25,850, or 1%, tested positive and must go into quarantine.

More than 40,000 medics and support teams of soldiers, police, administrative workers and volunteers staffed around 5,000 sites to administer the antigen swab tests. The country, which has a population of 5.5m, is aiming to test as many citizens as possible, except those under the age of 10.

4 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Isn't the basic issue that keeps getting shown up around covid that for literally any action plan to work you need a functioning public sector? Ours seems to have done pretty well (as it always does) in the initial whirlwind emergency pieces of work. The nightingale hospitals got built near overnight. People who were shielding got food packages. The furlough scheme, handing out billions in public cash, basically took what, about a week? to get set up. Since then though, once we knew what we were dealing with and once there was a fair level of consensus about how to get out of this? 

The problem arises when things settle down into business as usual and you have to try to keep more than one plate spinning. The idea a first world economy can't do mass testing after 7 months is a joke. The idea we have to outsource test and trace to serco with predictably awful results - a joke. The idea we somehow have to pick and choose between a generally functioning NHS and the ability to treat covid patients - a very bad joke. 

Governments seem to have lost the muscle memory of being able to do mass mobilisation after decades of outsourcing everything to the private sector. Even that stupid volunteering scheme that got set up in the summer! Hundreds of thousands of people In Scotland and millions across the UK signed up for that - I was one of them! The goodwill was there - they could have had folk out digging ditches and people would have showed up. But instead it got hardly used. Meanwhile there are consultants in Whitehall getting paid thousands per day to do what? Write briefings and edit the odd powerpoint?

It's like that bizarre leak to the press the other day where friendly journalists learned England was going back into lockdown - it is as if they cannot conceive of a problem that can't be approached with the same nonsense they would apply to Brexit, and that they've tried for every problem for 30 years. Obviously the Tories have been worse for this but a lot of it applies to SG too. 

Main problem appears to be knuckle scrapers won't do what they're told

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

4) Schools should 4 days out of 5 have kids in one class room instead of having them move around between classes (i know this has been cut down but lets do it more), english/maths/history/languages/scientific theory can all be taught from one class room surely? Meaning arts and practical science or PE can fit into one of the days of the week, even have PE for a double period and arts for a double period and then punt the kids out before lunch cutting down even more on mixing.

How do you account for someone who is in a top set for maths but a bottom set for English?

Also, this hasn't been cut down at all in some schools.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

How do you account for someone who is in a top set for maths but a bottom set for English?

Also, this hasn't been cut down at all in some schools.

Thats worrying surely that’s a pretty easy suggestion yet not been cut down?

Im not saying its a perfect answer, im obviously not a teacher, but even if you had say first year based in the English classrooms, second year in maths etc etc you could stagger it to allow for kids to spend a double period and move within the department with as minimal disruption as possible. Theres surely a workable solution in there somewhere?