Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The fact that as a nation we have been sleepwalking into becoming a retirement home is really starting to show. It shows how getting dragged into the ‘no immigrants welcome here’ Brexit shitshow was such a disaster.  As a society we are also prioritising our own ‘enjoyment’ over the need to procreate (unlike every other species on the planet) which doesn’t help either.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see those on the shielding list should now not attend work at all if they cannot work from home, superseeding the previous advice which was to only attend if it was covid secure.

Are shielding people eligible for furlough? It's been that long since it applied to me that I've lost track.

Unsure mate. I presume they should be if they're not just able to get full sick pay? 

I don't even think I should be shielding any more  as i'm no longer on treatment and still no evidence of disease for 18 months 🤞 

I do have a kiddy on lung disease that qualifies me, but I've never ever had any symptoms and it was only discovered by accident on an unrelated chest xray. 

I still get all the correspondence tho. I'd contact my gp in the first instance to check you are still considered shielding tbh

13 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'd like some guidance from SFA etc asap,  this professional sport exemption should not apply to the likes of junior teams and part time teams to be perfectly honest, especially when we are in the situation we are in.  How can clubs in tier 5, 6,7 some of who don't even pay players be termed professional sport.

I'm not overly comfortable driving up to Forfar on Saturday with the level of restrictions as they are.   I know it would be a pain in the arse for clubs but surely halting the season for a few weeks would be a decent shout instead of driving all over the country during lockdown for training and matches etc.

Zero chance the SFA will act quickly. It's crazy that they didn't have a press release ready to issue as soon as the national lockdown was announced, they must be the most flat footed organisation in the country.

Except from the Scottish Weak Arches society of course

Edited by 101

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I'm pretty certain we were told a vaccine wouldn't be delivered until Christmas. It was delivered a couple of weeks before.

It's fine to ask questions. Some are a lot more malicious than others when it comes to questioning the Government.

I'm told by some they are trying to control us. Control us to do what? You're already giving them any info they need posting on Facebook from your iPhone.

Yeah, the timescales on a vaccine never changed but that wasn't my point. Even throughout vaccine development, most people were fully understanding and sympathetic of the reasons for locking down. My point though is that there was no guarantee of any of the vaccines in development at that point actually being viable and really, questions should have been asked in terms of what the plan would be if they weren't as in many eyes, the vaccine was the be all and end all with not cast-iron guarantee that it would work at that point in time.

Yet no-one seemed to ask the question 'what if' - that ties into Craig's question. What if there's a similar pandemic (very likely according to the WHO) where a vaccine can't be produced so quickly....what then would be the circumstances in which we'd live with it?

With regards to your last sentence, unfortunately, in an age where people have all the information needed at a few touches of a button, misinformation and confirmation bias has seemingly won through or at least, currently is winning. The 'they are trying to control us' mob's narrative is pish. If they were, I'm sure they wouldn't look at such fucking mainstream pieces of media as Nineteen Eighty-Four or V for vandetta and go 'yup, we'll get away with that, no-one will draw parallels'.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The fact that as a nation we have been sleepwalking into becoming a retirement home is really starting to show. It shows how getting dragged into the ‘no immigrants welcome here’ Brexit shitshow was such a disaster.  As a society we are also prioritising our own ‘enjoyment’ over the need to procreate (unlike every other species on the planet) which doesn’t help either.

Aye. A lot of my wives pals wanted to be financially secure before having kids (ha!). Now those who are loaded are struggling to have. The others are no more secure than they were before due to buying bigger properties or more expensive cars.

Yeah, the timescales on a vaccine never changed but that wasn't my point. Even throughout vaccine development, most people were fully understanding and sympathetic of the reasons for locking down. My point though is that there was no guarantee of any of the vaccines in development at that point actually being viable and really, questions should have been asked in terms of what the plan would be if they weren't as in many eyes, the vaccine was the be all and end all with not cast-iron guarantee that it would work at that point in time.
Yet no-one seemed to ask the question 'what if' - that ties into Craig's question. What if there's a similar pandemic (very likely according to the WHO) where a vaccine can't be produced so quickly....what then would be the circumstances in which we'd live with it?
With regards to your last sentence, unfortunately, in an age where people have all the information needed at a few touches of a button, misinformation and confirmation bias has seemingly won through or at least, currently is winning. The 'they are trying to control us' mob's narrative is pish. If they were, I'm sure they wouldn't look at such fucking mainstream pieces of media as Nineteen Eighty-Four or V for vandetta and go 'yup, we'll get away with that, no-one will draw parallels'.
Makes you wonder why even in the long term strategy for the current pandemic, we havent heard too much about a massive increase in ICU capacity being significantly better use of budget than shite like high speed rail and nuclear weapons.

Wheres the 5 year plan for loads more beds, doctors and nurses...

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I think the bigger problem at hand is young people feel they are invincible. We're not going to die so why should I follow the rules. End lockdown and let everyone go about their lives.

None of them consider the drain that would cause the healthcare system. Why would we purposely infect doctors and nurses? 

To my knowledge the restrictions are failing to work because a very large percentage fail to follow them. Until they do we're going to be stuck in this situation for a long time.

In regards to the 'what if' I'd imagine the reason this is ignored is because the answers would be of the frightening nature.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Makes you wonder why even in the long term strategy for the current pandemic, we havent heard too much about a massive increase in ICU capacity being significantly better use of budget than shite like high speed rail and nuclear weapons.

Wheres the 5 year plan for loads more beds, doctors and nurses...

Especially with an aging population. Even without the burden of a pandemic, there is going to be a massive surge of hospital admissions in the next 20-30 years as average age of the country continues to increase.

900k vaccinated by the end of January would be fantastic and worthy of massive praise to all involved if it's delivered.

It should also be accompanied by massive lifting of restrictions. Of the hospitalised population, what percentage would be part of the 900k most vulnerable?

If they can do a million(ish) vaccines in Scotland per month, roll it back at a tier a month until you have zero restrictions, roughly.

I think the bigger problem at hand is young people feel they are invincible. We're not going to die so why should I follow the rules. End lockdown and let everyone go about their lives.
None of them consider the drain that would cause the healthcare system. Why would we purposely infect doctors and nurses? 
To my knowledge the restrictions are failing to work because a very large percentage fail to follow them. Until they do we're going to be stuck in this situation for a long time.
In regards to the 'what if' I'd imagine the reason this is ignored is because the answers would be of the frightening nature.
We should be stuck in this situation precisely until ICU starts to show signs of the vaccine easing the strain. The governments job is to ensure the NHS can function. It's not their job to torpedo anything like a decent lifestyle for all to prevent people catching a virus. If restrictions remain in place when the covid occupancy of hospitals plummet, young folk will correctly f**k them clean off.