Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yep he'll conveniently have forgotten that by now when he's confirming that services in London are close to being overwhelmed. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

London had relaxed many of their hospitality restrictions and were even allowing fans back at football matches only a couple of weeks back, so as was forecast by many at the time, they're now paying the price.
This plus the new variant made a terrible combination i suppose.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like stuffing tubes down people's throats and pumping in oxygen killed as many as it helped.

Purely anecdotal via a nurse at Ninewells - ventilators are seen as an absolute last resort now. Treatments are better which means less people need ventilators. Paradoxically though, more people are surviving who would have died in March and are taking up hospital beds and resources.

Just now, Theroadlesstravelled said:

No wonder. The Oxford trial was paused after participant developed spinal cord inflammation. 

I'll be waiting to be given the English spinal cord inflammation, thank you very much!

33 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Purely anecdotal via a nurse at Ninewells - ventilators are seen as an absolute last resort now. Treatments are better which means less people need ventilators. Paradoxically though, more people are surviving who would have died in March and are taking up hospital beds and resources.

Yes that's a reasonable summary.

Better treatments and treatment options. Invasive ventilation still an option for those who deteriorate beyond where non-invasive ventilation is working. For those who do get intubated survival odds are generally 50:50 but that's against the reality that for that group of patients they would almost inevitably die without invasive ventilation. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Most other countries with lower death rates test people at airports but testing doesn't work.

I know you've been walking round with this testing hardon for a few days but you know testing alone doesn't do anything right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55587230

Feel sorry for the police having to work in these circumstances, someone calls in a suspicion of a gathering, the woman here starts screaming at them, and now the tinfoil hat crowd are all over it claiming we're halfway to a police state.  

[just realised this was already posted a few pages back, my bad]

Edited by O_Kahn

Personally, I just wish our politicians would put their differences to the side and work together for a common goal, that being the good of the entire population. It doesn't matter whether it's at UK level or Scottish level or even which party is involved, it's basically all the same sniping to try and score cheap political points and personally I'm sick of it.

Khan as an example is shouting about the situation in London, yet he's the very one who was putting pressure on the Gov to open everything up !!

Yes, it's hard to please everyone but in times of national emergencies I think they all need to rise above political showcasing and work together, as the constant hypocritical sniping is helping nobody at all.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Should have had the weans at school on Christmas day imo.

I think there was a big failing not only allowing Christmas "parties" but not reiterating the rules such as all windows and doors should have been kept wide open to improve ventilation etc. 

The big failing is absolutely, inexplicably obvious from this graph. It's as if we have a government that is actively *trying* to overwhelm its own health service.

That schools were not at the bare minimum closed for the entire two week diddy period before Christmas is an inexplicable decision that is literally costing lives right now. I'm just about done hearing any more po-faced lectures then from government ministers, who have let that happen on their watch.