Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Assuming the current trajectory when ScotGov meet on Tuesday.  Cases per 100K could be down to around 130 to 135 per 100K

The East & North average will probably be around 100 if not lower.

Hospital admission rates will be well down.  Deaths should be down.  Vaccinated numbers will be soaring.

I will do a council 1 week performance thread on Monday.

If Lockdown is extended and we do not get the word that the 0-4 Levels should be back by Monday 15th Feb then I will lose all respect for the powers that be.

Will still vote for them in May as the alternatives are frightening, but respect is still important.

I still have doubts about the tier system as a means of reducing infections over time. Especially for the big urban areas. Edinburgh went into tier 3 and then limped along at the same daily infection level for about 2 months afterwards. It took tier 4 in the West to start to reduce infections there.

On the basis that tier 3 and 2 aren't hugely worth having by themselves, and their only utility is as a means a graduated decrease of cases, and that isn't how it actually works - then is it worth hammering away at case rates in tier 4 until we can get into tier 1, then figure out how to stay there while vaccinations hit the levels required to stunt community transmission?

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

I realise that perfectly well, thank you. It's an indictment of a massively broken system, and every government around the world should be coming down with an iron fist on any c**t trying to profit off all this misery. Get the vaccine sorted and rolled out to everyone first, and then go back to making the billions of pounds you don't deserve. Simple.

Sadly government(s) support the profiteers, and the electorate support the government(s).  If there was a GE tomorrow the Tories would have the most MPs, maybe even a (reduced) majority.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Sadly government(s) support the profiteers, and the electorate support the government(s).  If there was a GE tomorrow the Tories would have the most MPs, maybe even a (reduced) majority.

Just now, Snafu said:

Except many of them have shares and big investments in the companies and are pals with the upper level bosses, went to same school that sort of thing.

Can I just point out that I'm completely aware of how the world works and how depressingly corrupt and full of cronyism it is, I'm just saying how things should be done. :lol:

4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Can I just point out that I'm completely aware of how the world works and how depressingly corrupt and full of cronyism it is, I'm just saying how things should be done. :lol:

I’m sure you are.  I’m less surprised/depressed by governments supporting profiteers, I’m far more depressed by ordinary people continuing to vote in such governments.

How are ordinary people so stupid as to think that their interests are aligned with the Johnsons, Sunaks, Rabbs, Patels and Moggs of this world?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Let's see! The EU fails to commit to buying any(?) of the vaccines being worked on around the world until August 2020 and plays no or little part in backing proposed vaccines. "Suddenly" in January 2021 it finds that it has a supply problem from Pfeizer, Moderna and Astrazeneca so it turns to the long established distraction pattern of "lets make a loud noise about one of the vaccine manufacturers and hope voters don't notice our failure to order anywhere near enough doses of vaccine".

How did this come about though? I don't suppose it was something to do with one of the main EU nations having a relatively low level of covid and having laboratories already in place for Track and Trace and so not seeing the urgency of the Pandemic situation in the remainder of the EU? Thank Goodness the UK escaped just in time.

Meanwhile the UK orders hundreds of millions of doses of vaccines from a wide range of worldwide companies and, from the outset, actively supports and invests in a highly successful Oxford University Astrazeneca vaccine project as well as others including Novavax, Johnson & Johnson, etc. 

Seems fairly obvious that the UK's Plan A is working and included Plans B, C, D etc too. It's the EU that been caught with its' pants down. No Plan so come up with distractions and hope no-one will notice.

You can imagine the outrage, head shaking and finger pointing if the roles were reversed.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Why the Tory rage over the SG wanting to be transparent over the supply figures?

Do they have something to hide?

To try and be balanced, Scot Gov are being accused of holding a stockpile of vaccines and not using them and the Tories are gleefully scoring some political points off the back of these claims. So Scot Gov say they're going to publish the supply figures, presumably to demonstrate they're being hamstrung a bit.

The UK Gov on the other hand are basically saying other nations won't like what they hear, ie by publishing figures we could be giving other countries ammunition to demand a greater portion of the supply from AZ etc which in turn may affect the supply coming to Scotland. This part is already happening anyway if you've seen the EU throwing many toys out of their pram over supply issues.

Edited by GiGi

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure you are.  I’m less surprised/depressed by governments supporting profiteers, I’m far more depressed by ordinary people continuing to vote in such governments.

How are ordinary people so stupid as to think that their interests are aligned with the Johnsons, Sunaks, Rabbs, Patels and Moggs of this world?

Aye, much better served by the Blairs, Browns, Darlings, Straws and Hains of this world.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, much better served by the Blairs, Browns, Darlings, Straws and Hains of this world.

^^^ Rip Van Jacksgranda.

FWIW I think Starmer is awful but he’s marginally better than Johnson.

Also people in Scotland, Wales and NI have a better alternative.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Why the Tory rage over the SG wanting to be transparent over the supply figures?

Odds on Scotland isn't getting supplied as quickly as other parts of the UK so BJ can make the SNP look bad on vaccination rates. Anything related to AZ and the EU is out in the open by now.

The EU blocking exports of the Pfizer vaccine might end up buggering everything up. What does this mean for second doses, for example? 

This is a dreadful development, not only for the UK and anyone else that's waiting on deliveries, but because it's probably going to prompt similar elsewhere. 

All because the EU made a c**t of it. 

Edited by Michael W

As the boss of the internet I started to scroll through posts thanks to @NotThePars on this thread. 

However, what we have learnt over the last few days...

1. we are all in agreement that if we not got folk dyeing we can all head to the pub

2. That guy from from Carnooostie is an anti jagger

3. Superguy that posts the updates is a top guy.

4 Cycycily the doctor knows more than the most influential poster on P&B

5. Todd still posting but nobody is reading

6. Willie has no money.

@Marshmallo asked you is the best covid poster.    Well the guy who asked these absurd questions, needs to make a thread.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^ Rip Van Jacksgranda.

FWIW I think Starmer is awful but he’s marginally better than Johnson.

Also people in Scotland, Wales and NI have a better alternative.

See the source image

Havent heard of where its happening in Girvan. Although my aunt and uncle as well as my neighbour have to go to the community hospital to get theirs...on weekend days
I wasn't listening that intently unfortunately. I can check the minutes on Monday although I think it might be common knowledge by then. Apparently the letters are over 65s plus over 70s.

48 minutes ago, renton said:

I still have doubts about the tier system as a means of reducing infections over time. Especially for the big urban areas. Edinburgh went into tier 3 and then limped along at the same daily infection level for about 2 months afterwards. It took tier 4 in the West to start to reduce infections there.

On the basis that tier 3 and 2 aren't hugely worth having by themselves, and their only utility is as a means a graduated decrease of cases, and that isn't how it actually works - then is it worth hammering away at case rates in tier 4 until we can get into tier 1, then figure out how to stay there while vaccinations hit the levels required to stunt community transmission?

The straightforward solution to make tiers 3 and 4 effective is to close schools in them instead of pretending that they can be somehow magically separated from community transmission. 

Swinney himself now admits that the 'safe' schools contribute a whopping 0.2 of the overall R rate. You can safely double that for the real figure. That is why tiers have not been as effective as hoped for.

4 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

What about whit's his name. The guy with the long hair...looks like a dick. His name's Oliver but no Stan or Jim.

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Unlike myself and VT that w@nk is actually an archaeologist, not a historian.

Was gonna say myself that I don't think he fulfils either of the criteria. And who wants to hear what an archaeologist has to say? Nobody, that's right.

Was gonna say myself that I don't think he fulfils either of the criteria. And who wants to hear what an archaeologist has to say? Nobody, that's right.

Exactly. We need someone who can deal with the present situation. Not someone who is just going to keep digging up the past.

54 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Procurement procedure generally is secretive. It is still prudent to keep certain things under one’s hat. I think the SG have been very churlish with this one.

Ma Bam (78) hasn't had a vaccine letter yet 

She's not particularly bothered "oh, I'm just a non-person and it says in the paper if you don't get a letter just phone the doc"

She doesn't get the ordinary flu vaccine so I wonder if that is why she hasn't had a notice yet