Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The next step in this plan should be a ramp up of countering blatant lies fired out by the cretinous anti-vaxxer mobs.

Time to nip these folk in the bud and drown out their dangerous lies. I've seen a few folk on TV in the last week raising the question of 'is it true what I heard that it affects fertility?' which has clearly come from the spread of nonsense and scaremongering to prevent people getting this.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You've just made that up. The end of July, maybe.

See, they keep saying that. End of May is about 100 days away. About 3m first doses to go in Scotland (and that would represent in excess of a 95% uptake). 30k first doses a day between now and then does it.

I assume that given Scotland and England are broadly in the same place and have broadly the same demographics and vaccine capacity that that pace would apply to England as well.

Entirely dependent on supply and probably a slight increase in capacity to allow for second doses at the same time, but it isn’t unrealistic at all. I rather suspect that BoJo’s plan - to ditch pretty much everything on June 21 - somewhat relies on everyone having had one dose by the end of May.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

18 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Maybe you should re-evaluate your other views.

It's pretty clear that social distancing guidance will remain in place well into the summer and possibly even into the tail end of the year (Chris Whitty has said as much).

Where we will continue to have restrictions, I suspect, is in terms of what business have to do to make their premises COVID compliant. Even if there's no longer a ban on gatherings over a certain size, for example, the safety certificates for football stadiums (or similar) are likely to be updated to reduce their permitted capacity for a few months, so as to ensure social distancing is something people can do effectively.

Once we have everyone (or as near as possible to everyone) in the UK vaccinated, social distancing needs to be put on a bonfire and said goodbye to forever.

A horrible, cold and unnatural policy that limits all meaningful human interaction, experiences and daily life.

You only need to go back on the last ten or so pages and look at the many things people have said they'll be doing when this is all over to understand just how much we as a society have missed out on in this past year thanks to 'social distancing'.

I can just about accept in extreme circumstances to cut down excess deaths amongst an unvaccinated population at the height of a pandemic. Beyond that? Get it to absolute f**k man.

Edited by HibsFan

See, they keep saying that. End of May is about 100 days away. About 3m first doses to go in Scotland (and that would represent in excess of a 95% uptake). 30k first doses a day between now and then does it.
I assume that given Scotland and England are broadly in the same place and have broadly the same demographics and vaccine capacity that that pace would apply to England as well.
Entirely dependent on supply and probably a slight increase in capacity to allow for second doses at the same time, but it isn’t unrealistic at all. I rather suspect that BoJo’s plan - to ditch pretty much everything on June 21 - somewhat relies on everyone having had one dose by the end of May.
Not that it isn't possible, but you need to take into account people getting second doses as well, which are starting to creep up a little.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Tricky now for Nicola Sturgeon. 

She's naturally far more conservative than Johnson and his roadmap out looks nothing like the one she would like to introduce. 

But if she keeps us locked up while England are partying, and while Scotland's hospitalisation rates plummet, she'll pay the price in May's election. There's no doubt about that. 

59 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Bar an admission ZC is impossible there was nothing else remotely realistic in a word the buffoon said. Do you really think those dates are at all achievable ?

Unless vaccines suddenly vanish off the face of the Earth, those dates are absolutely achievable. As are earlier ones. With vaccines absolutely cigaring this, the dates are essentially arbitrary - it depends entirely on the maximum number of new infections and deaths that are deemed acceptable. It's not zero though. 

I'd rather have opening up determined by ICU and hospitalisation rates on a legally binding criteria, so that we can progress even further where the facts allow it and keep all of these politicians and the Chief Clownshoe away from that decision-making.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, true_rover said:
10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Not that it isn't possible, but you need to take into account people getting second doses as well, which are starting to creep up a little.

Literally what I said in the last paragraph. But note that even if the average capacity from now til end of May was only 50k a day - below what we are capable of - we’d get over 2m second doses delivered by that time at an average 30k first dose 20k second dose split.

In reality if won’t work like that - we don’t have to do many second AZ doses at all until well into April for example - but the capacity to do both is there.

Supply is the question, nothing else.

Very big day for Sturgeon tomorrow. I have absolutely zero faith that the 21st June ‘data not dates’ date will met. Sturgeon probably doesn’t either. Johnson has been wrong about quite literally everything in this pandemic, it’s optimistic to say the least that he’ll be right this time.

But the scenario facing Sturgeon is that she is a bit more pragmatic and removes that hope and says it’s not happening, unless things go better than expected. Heads gone on this thread and I’m sure much of the population too. Or she commits to the date and likely misses it as well.

I think she’ll go down the middle. Some vague platitudes about hoping for similar timeframes to England but ‘retaining the right to slow down based on data’, ‘see how we are nearer the time’ etc etc.