Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

To put it very simply for you @AllSaint:

I'd sooner drop dead than vote tory.

But I'd also sooner drop dead than go through another year of these restrictions, social distancing, missing out on any of the good bits of life such as gigs, a night out with mates, football games, and yes even the simple things like getting to hug relatives.

I do not believe in Boris Johnson, I do not believe in the tories. What I do believe in is the vaccines.

I believe that, as has been said all along, they are the way out of this horrible mess.

All data so far shows that they are reducing hospitalisations, reducing deaths and reducing transmission, and thus helping us return to normality.

Therefore, regardless of whatever shiny unicorn Johnson is promising us now, I have renewed hope. It's just nice to see a government, any government, back that up with their outlook for once. Rather than weeping about "the variants!!!" and "we just don't know enough!!!" like certain advisors. 

Right on the nose.

My favourite part was when the OP alluded to Tories appealing to the lowest common denominator using tactics much like the OF do and then without any irony comes away with the 'people who are happy to see a projected end of restrictions, must be tories' type patter.

32 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Absolutely summed up perfectly. WRK has just had a rant about a lot of things, most of which I agree with and a few replies of 'you seem angry' or seething type posts, without addressing any of the actual issues he's raised. Rational debate seems to have left the building a long time ago, not just on here but on social media platforms and perhaps even society in general. Phrases like 'triggered', 'you seem upset' 'ragin, aye' and the like, can get in the fucking sea when folk are trying to have a serious conversation. Aye, they've got a place when arguing about whether it was a pen or not in a fitba game, but it seems to have crept in everywhere.

*sits back and awaits memes and gifs galore.

People want to fit in and be liked, get attention or confirmation.

Now you get that from likes and usually irrelevant nonsense gets more attention. It's risky to put your actual opinion out there when it can be attacked and you get shunned so better to post gifs or memes because that works. Also people are intentionally kept emotionally charged to keep online and you end up in arguements more often as a result. People end up divided, angry and reactionary. Plus there are trolls who like to wind others up, like any situation.

I truly believe that the Internet is causing massive problems and herding mankind into some sort of dystopian hellhole. 

Or not, lmfao xx cat gif tl:dr Johnny davidson gonna crash

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

People want to fit in and be liked, get attention or confirmation.

Now you get that from likes and usually irrelevant nonsense gets more attention. It's risky to put your actual opinion out there when it can be attacked and you get shunned so better to post gifs or memes because that works. Also people are intentionally kept emotionally charged to keep online and you end up in arguements more often as a result. People end up divided, angry and reactionary. Plus there are trolls who like to wind others up, like any situation.

I truly believe that the Internet is causing massive problems and herding mankind into some sort of dystopian hellhole. 

Or not, lmfao xx cat gif tl:dr Johnny davidson gonna crash

Waffles

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think this says more about the mental state of people tbh. Just think about it - people who have despised this party and everything they stand for their entire lives are happy to cling onto the slimmest hope that life will be normal at some point this summer again. Desperation is all it is, not necessarily gullibility.

There's also the influence of the peak-end rule: people's recollection of how the government handled the pandemic will be conditioned by how it exits it. Right now, the UK is doing significantly better on the vaccine front which will cover for a lot of the flak. 

The opposition should have seen that coming instead of their response which (at UK level) has focused on more lockdown and more restrictions. Nobody is going to care whether Starmer or some other clown had the better arguments during the crisis when they have no convincing argument to get out of it. 

None of the parties to the left of the UK government or SG have risen to the challenge of making a case for an alternative system of support or measures. Gormlessly doubling down on lockdown has been their only 'solution' and that is why they're going to take a shoeing.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dont think banning marriage is on their legislative agenda tbf. 

Scots are known the world over as tremendous shaggers. It's what we do, in addition to soldiering and engineering.

That's just a fact.

Not being able to meet people from other households is damaging our reputation in this field.

To put it very simply for you [mention=80665]AllSaint[/mention]:
I'd sooner drop dead than vote tory.
But I'd also sooner drop dead than go through another year of these restrictions, social distancing, missing out on any of the good bits of life such as gigs, a night out with mates, football games, and yes even the simple things like getting to hug relatives.
I do not believe in Boris Johnson, I do not believe in the tories. What I do believe in is the vaccines.
I believe that, as has been said all along, they are the way out of this horrible mess.
All data so far shows that they are reducing hospitalisations, reducing deaths and reducing transmission, and thus helping us return to normality.
Therefore, regardless of whatever shiny unicorn Johnson is promising us now, I have renewed hope. It's just nice to see a government, any government, back that up with their outlook for once. Rather than weeping about "the variants!!!" and "we just don't know enough!!!" like certain advisors. 

Get a copy of this sent round every household in the country.

42 minutes ago, superbigal said:

on that note, party at mine on Saturday lads, no one to raid us if we get philpy'd

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Right on the nose.

My favourite part was when the OP alluded to Tories appealing to the lowest common denominator using tactics much like the OF do and then without any irony comes away with the 'people who are happy to see a projected end of restrictions, must be tories' type patter.

People who believe a word the tories say after they have literally lied their way through this pandemic while lining the pockets of their billionaire pals must be morons/tories. 

I’d be more than willing happy to see a projected end to restrictions from someone without the track record of Bojo. The man who claimed the Tories did everything they could while shaking hands with hospitalised Covid patients. Or claimed we’d be over the worst of it after 12 weeks. 

1 minute ago, AllSaint said:

People who believe a word the tories say after they have literally lied their way through this pandemic while lining the pockets of their billionaire pals must be morons/tories. 

I’d be more than willing happy to see a projected end to restrictions from someone without the track record of Bojo. The man who claimed the Tories did everything they could while shaking hands with hospitalised Covid patients. Or claimed we’d be over the worst of it after 12 weeks. 

Or we could utilise independent thought and look at this particular plan as being mainly quite cautious and realistic. 

16 minutes ago, AllSaint said:

This isn’t the great take you think it is. 

Elimination is the same as #ZeroCovid, we are often told. Because Zero doesn't actually mean zero...
NS has never claimed eradication was possible.
Elimination is nothing of the sorts I'dlike to see evidence to back up your "we are often told" ascertation.

ZC involves maintaining the position if elimination can been reached. They are entirely separate strategies.

NS has never stated ZC as her pursued policy as it's an impossibility in our geographic and political situation but you know all that yet keep peddling the myth that the SG is actively pursuing a ZC policy.