Coronavirus (COVID-19)

When will the madness of whole households having to isolate because a kid has a wee cough actually end? Elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated, who really gives a fck about case numbers if they aren’t causing any harm. The bed wetting and fear over this really has to stop 

C22BE1BE-E7CA-46C7-BC10-C1C838B09F4F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Appreciate it's not likely to be as representative a sample as one person's Facebook feed but it's almost 50-50 on whether people want to reopen everything in three weeks

20210531_095702.thumb.jpg.fad2d2a29638c95feee3ad625bb11799.jpg

All the old duffers saying keep restrictions will probably never do anything that would be restricted. 

Unfortunately one of the few things the miserable b*****ds like doing is voting Tory at every opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

All the old duffers saying keep restrictions will probably never do anything that would be restricted. 

Unfortunately one of the few things the miserable b*****ds like doing is voting Tory at every opportunity. 

I suspect that a good chunk of the "should not" among the younger cohorts will also be those who, even before Covid, seldom went to pubs/restaurants/sports/concerts etc. and so are little affected by the current restrictions.

Purely anecdotal, of course, but the sheer number of people stepping off trains at Waverley on Saturday afternoon suggests that a large proportion of the population want to get on with their lives, at least on the leisure side of things, no idea if they feel the same about having to go back to the office and such.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/eu-travel-rules-digital-covid-certificate-vaccine-passport-quarantine/?__twitter_impression=true

Very sensible approach. Naturally the UK isn't in the EU anymore, but there is the possibility of mutual recognition. Hopefully we can agree to this or else we're going to be suffering the daftness of vaccinated people being made to take PCRs and quarantine in certain circumstances. 

This is, for me, the only acceptable use of vaccine passports. 

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/eu-travel-rules-digital-covid-certificate-vaccine-passport-quarantine/?__twitter_impression=true
Very sensible approach. Naturally the UK isn't in the EU anymore, but there is the possibility of mutual recognition. Hopefully we can agree to this or else we're going to be suffering the daftness of vaccinated people being made to take PCRs and quarantine in certain circumstances. 
Agree with this. Never had a problem with cross border proof of vaccination. Its for every country to handle their own shit and if that means they want proof of vaccine, so be it.

The scandal of these things has always been domestic use for everyday things.

3 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Based on those numbers we're looking at over 20% of COVID deaths in Scotland being people who went into hospital for something else, caught COVID whilst there and then died.

As someone who was personally affected by this, my view might be biased but 20% seems a huge fucking failing to me. 

42 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Helps to explain some things...

Is the issue now that with this new Indian variant really needing two doses for adequate protection that we will see restrictions continue far longer.  I was all set for going out and having a few pints next week.  Being a good boy and waiting for three weeks so Astrazenca could do it’s thing.  Now seeing that it’s only gonna offer a 30% level of protection.  The other thing is.  Does even having one dose reduce symptoms or transmission?   

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Agree. We were trying to find out what needed to happen if we were to go to the South of Ireland this Summer (using the ferry from Cairnryan to Larne) - absolute minefield trying to work it out. As the Republic is in the common travel area it seems like it's causing confusion. Loads of things if you're going over - nothing if you're coming back.

To get into Southern Ireland until the 19th July you'll still need a PCR test (even the kids if their over 7) even if you've had both doses of the vaccine - after then you'll be ok if you have proof of vaccination...any idea what Scot Gov are giving to help show this has happened?

....and don't get me started on the nonsense with trying to take the dog following the Brexit shambles!

19 hours ago, Detournement said:

Is their business assessing what people think or influencing what people think. 

Yougov did the dodgy 50/50 poll in 2014, the 33/33 poll in 2015 GE and had Corbyn down at ridiculously low levels prior to the 2017 GE. They undoubtedly have a history of producing polls which suit the Tory agenda. 

I don't want to go into bat for YouGov and have sympathy with the idea that the whole world is a massive conspiracy where nothing is real and is run for the benefit of dark malevolent interests. 

But, if it isn't, then YouGov and other polling companies at least purport to have weights and measures to provide accurate data.

I would be amazed if political and opinion polling is 1% of their turnover. The real horror us what BP will pay them to come out of the end of the process with a sunflower logo. 

3 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Agree. We were trying to find out what needed to happen if we were to go to the South of Ireland this Summer (using the ferry from Cairnryan to Larne) - absolute minefield trying to work it out. As the Republic is in the common travel area it seems like it's causing confusion. Loads of things if you're going over - nothing if you're coming back.

To get into Southern Ireland until the 19th July you'll still need a PCR test (even the kids if their over 7) even if you've had both doses of the vaccine - after then you'll be ok if you have proof of vaccination...any idea what Scot Gov are giving to help show this has happened?

....and don't get me started on the nonsense with trying to take the dog following the Brexit shambles!

I have been over twice to Donegal this month due to a work meeting and flew to Belfast both times. Never asked once for any PCR test or checks at the hotels I stayed in, apart from having to show an email from my director confirming I was over on essential business. 

I predict the case numbers in Ireland will go through the roof once they open up hotels for guests later this month, as

regular hospitality won’t be open until July I believe. Everyone will, like last summer, book a few nights away and as a hotel guest be allowed drink etc. It was bonkers last month at my hotel in Buncrana where I could sup Tennents all night with my meal whilst Scotland was not even “outdoors only” at that point in May yet my local residing customer wasn’t allowed to cross the door for a coffee. We had to sit in his van with a takeaway pint!

24 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Based on those numbers we're looking at over 20% of COVID deaths in Scotland being people who went into hospital for something else, caught COVID whilst there and then died.

1600+ in that situation and 3774 in care homes/other settings after picking up Covid in care homes.

But shutting Primark and stopping folk drinking alcohol with their steak is targeting the real issues here.

5 minutes ago, deegee said:

I have been over twice to Donegal this month due to a work meeting and flew to Belfast both times. Never asked once for any PCR test or checks at the hotels I stayed in, apart from having to show an email from my director confirming I was over on essential business. 

I predict the case numbers in Ireland will go through the roof once they open up hotels for guests later this month, as

regular hospitality won’t be open until July I believe. Everyone will, like last summer, book a few nights away and as a hotel guest be allowed drink etc. It was bonkers last month at my hotel in Buncrana where I could sup Tennents all night with my meal whilst Scotland was not even “outdoors only” at that point in May yet my local residing customer wasn’t allowed to cross the door for a coffee. We had to sit in his van with a takeaway pint!

It would be not far from Buncrana we'd be going but the concern is it's nothing more than a holiday. We'd be in a remote area but a car with UK plates and a family isn't subtle, i can see how going on business would be ok but i have a feeling we'd be challenged at some point.

Given how open the border is at Derry through to Buncrana then it 'might' be ok but i'm not sure i fancy trying.

28 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Is the issue now that with this new Indian variant really needing two doses for adequate protection that we will see restrictions continue far longer.  I was all set for going out and having a few pints next week.  Being a good boy and waiting for three weeks so Astrazenca could do it’s thing.  Now seeing that it’s only gonna offer a 30% level of protection.  The other thing is.  Does even having one dose reduce symptoms or transmission?   

This is a misunderstanding of how vaccine efficacy is reported. The ~30% protection after one dose figure is against symptomatic infection. The chance of you getting more than the sniffles, and then further needing to go into hospital or dying, are less likely by many magnitudes.

10 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

520 cases

110 in hospital

8 in ICU

What is going on with hospital numbers? They’re fluctuating wildly each day, often increasing by 20%+ then reducing the next day by the same amount. Something bizarre going on here.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

What is going on with hospital numbers? They’re fluctuating wildly each day, often increasing by 20%+ then reducing the next day by the same amount. Something bizarre going on here.

The numbers are so low now that normal daily fluctuations just look a lot in percentage terms.

When the numbers are so low it's foolish to look at percentages imo. If you tell some folk there is a 20% rise in ICU numbers they start screaming for lockdowns, but the reality is it means an extra 1 or 2 cases at the moment.