Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fishing is the preserve of the lonely alcoholic, no offence. The fishers I see are a bit grubby and laden with cans and Buckfast, but never fish.

I mind when I was a kid we stopped to watch one of the alcoholic fishermen up at the canal who, amazingly, had a bite.  This fucking gigantic eel appeared out the water on the end of his line.  I think he got a bigger fright than we did. 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Taking a step back, covid has given us an interesting insight into what would happen if a really deadly plague struck the UK.

Something like Ebola.

It's worth just thinking about this for a minute because there's no real reason why this couldn't happen.

Maybe next time we'll be looking at something with an 80% death rate.

Just a thought.

Ebola's great because it usually kills the victims before they can pass it on. Just leave them alone, especially when they're dead, leave it to the men and women in spacesuits and we'll be fine.

Edited by welshbairn

39 minutes ago, bennett said:

I've only seen one person fishing since this kicked off and that was at the ballast bank at Troon, the clubs and fisheries aren't open.

Castle Semple at Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie Loch have both been pretty busy when I've passed them on the train all this week, I've also seen people passing my window carrying rods who are obviously heading "up the burn".

Being honest I don't have a problem with it as they're not coming into contact with anyone else or impacting anyone from a virus perspective. I also don't see the difference between them heading for the hills fishing and the hoardes out on our roads and pavements cycling, but what do I know.

What has become clear is this attitude of "it's not fair if he can do it and I can't" should once and for all shoot down any ideas of professional football behind close doors happening in this country, while the rest of us are in some sort of lockdown.

23 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Are we over reacting with a lockdown, social distancing etc when this sort of thing really happened? -

I was at Old Traford in 1975, When it was announced that a telephone warning had been received from the IRA.
A bomb had been planted in the Stretford End.
The announcer told us that anyone wishing to leave could do so, The gates were open, Nobody moved and the game carried on to a huge chant of ‘We’re gonna get our fuckin’ heads blown off’.

Sterner stuff or stupid?

Not only is it utter bullshit, but it’s in no way comparable to the current situation. 

42 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I'm looking forward to the meltdown from yer da types when people are asked to wear a mask in public.

I bet more than a few on here flat out refuse.

I'm more bothered about where I'd actually get a mask. I'm not a bankrobber, a superhero or a wrestler, so I tend not to make a mask part of my usual attire.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I'm more bothered about where I'd actually get a mask. I'm not a bankrobber, a superhero or a wrestler, so I tend not to make a mask part of my usual attire.

Do you own a scarf?

That Dr John Campbell that does daily Youtube videos suggested this would suffice.

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

Do you own a scarf?

That Dr John Campbell that does daily Youtube videos suggested this would suffice.

That's fine then. They keep talking about masks on the radio and it has puzzled me each time.

32 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Taking a step back, covid has given us an interesting insight into what would happen if a really deadly plague struck the UK.

Something like Ebola.

It's worth just thinking about this for a minute because there's no real reason why this couldn't happen.

We've trashed the economy for a couple of generations at least for something with a 1-3% death rate.

Maybe next time we'll be looking at something with an 80% death rate.

Just a thought. It's worth thinking about it whether we have over-reacted a little.

Assuming the modelling was correct and that no lockdown would've killed in the region of 200,000 was it? That's more in 3 months than died in the WW2 British Army over 6 years of high intensity combat.

A 1-3% death rate would not have been pretty, or conducive to a good economy.

Having said that, we shouldn't be prevaricating in this state if we can build up a proper trace-isolate routine that can keep the r0 value down while allowing some degree of normality to exist.

27 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Right boys we've been practicing for this our entire lives. Last year was practice, this year's the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Castle Semple at Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie Loch have both been pretty busy when I've passed them on the train all this week, I've also seen people passing my window carrying rods who are obviously heading "up the burn".

Being honest I don't have a problem with it as they're not coming into contact with anyone else or impacting anyone from a virus perspective. I also don't see the difference between them heading for the hills fishing and the hoardes out on our roads and pavements cycling, but what do I know.

What has become clear is this attitude of "it's not fair if he can do it and I can't" should once and for all shoot down any ideas of professional football behind close doors happening in this country, while the rest of us are in some sort of lockdown.

Kilbirnie folk should have an immunity to the virus tbf. 

Theres lots of folk who'd love to be out doing passtimes/interests outside (myself included) but it's just not worth the risk in not following the rules.

Cycling is permitted and my daily cycle has probably kept me reasonably sane during this, tho I've noticed that even the wee country roads are starting to fill up with folk out walking.