Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I'm fully aware of how difficult the situation is, however that doesn't excuse the fact that the great british public do not have the ability or fortitude to cope with a fairly lenient lockdown.

There is no chance they could cope with the level of lockdown in Spain, Asia etc.  

We're too arrogant a nation for that, too soft, too pampered.  It's embarrassing the amount of entitled arseholes with house parties etc because they don't have the brain power or determination to abide by the rules.   

Queuing as a couple  to buy paint for christ sake.  Really, we live in a world with so much technology that can  keep us in touch and keep us occupied.  Read a book, listen to music, learn a language, do your exercise.  I hate to agree with Piers Morgan but by f**k he was right, we aren't sending people over the top at the Somme, we aren't rationing food, we aren't hanging power outages, we are asking people to observe a lenient lockdown.  Nobody said it's easy but it's entirely doable.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people  that are either so thick or so selfish that they won't even adhere to a lockdown for the benefit of everyone.

We are a tin pot joke of a nation from central government downwards.  The only thing we lead on is hubris.

You've missed out the Windsor family and that nae sae bonnie prince charlie.

Just now, WATTOO said:

Courses are still open in Jersey & Guernsey and everything appears to be running well (and no reason why it shouldn't).

I'd hope we'd be back up and running here by June at the latest.

There’ll be some on here phoning the polis’ telling them to get their arses down to the Channel Islands.

I support the decision to close the courses here, and here’s why - although the act of actually playing golf lends itself to good social distancing, the clubhouses and changing rooms wouldn’t. It also wouldn’t be fair for golf courses to be open, but folk couldn’t play bowls, go fishing, whatever. People would rightly query why golf clubs were open, but their place had to shut. Also, if the courses were open, anyone with a battered set of irons rusting in the shed for thirty years would be grabbing them and sneaking onto every course around. Nothing else is open, and folk can’t enjoy the weather by going a wee run down the coast or anything. Nah, it’s only right that the clubs are shut. They aren’t a special case or anything.

5 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

After a lockdown is relaxed and especially when schools/ a lot of workers go back to their jobs, surely a second peak/new wave is inevitable. Even with contract tracing and isolating, if it is as virulent as predicted (each person infects 3 others) this will continue until most people have had it and tens of thousands more have died. 

It either seems like the choice is lockdown until vaccine and 'relatively' few deaths or back to close to normal and lots of deaths. I'm struggling to see how a happy medium can be achieved short term (the next 3 or 4 months)

As someone who is auld and has underlying health problems I'm struggling as well

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There’ll be some on here phoning the polis’ telling them to get their arses down to the Channel Islands.

I support the decision to close the courses here, and here’s why - although the act of actually playing golf lends itself to good social distancing, the clubhouses and changing rooms wouldn’t. It also wouldn’t be fair for golf courses to be open, but folk couldn’t play bowls, go fishing, whatever. People would rightly query why golf clubs were open, but their place had to shut. Also, if the courses were open, anyone with a battered set of irons rusting in the shed for thirty years would be grabbing them and sneaking onto every course around. Nothing else is open, and folk can’t enjoy the weather by going a wee run down the coast or anything. Nah, it’s only right that the clubs are shut. They aren’t a special case or anything.

We trialled the social distancing at Largs for the fortnight prior to the lockdown being announced and it worked perfectly.

1. Only people with a pre - booked time could play

2. Clubhouse was closed so change in the car park (away from people) or in your car.

3. Pins removed from the practice putting green and putt with pins left in on the big greens.

4. All ball washers removed from the course and hand sanitiser positioned strategically around the course.

5. pick the ball up using your gloved hand.

6. Social distancing to be adhered to at all times on the course (as it is under normal circumstances anyway, due to the nature of the game)

7. No scorecards

Basically all common sense and little to no risk of coming into contact with anyone else.

There's Golf courses lying empty all over the place and in Scotland most are open to all, so even those who wanted to take the game up, there would be ample opportunity and the clubs themselves would be overjoyed about this since Golf is a sport in serious decline.

Ultimately people are allowed to cycle, walk, fish etc so as far as I'm concerned there's no real rationale for having Golf courses remaining closed.

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Belgium at 228 deaths today but significantly the majority of that figure is in care homes.

I've not been posting or browsing for about a week so I might have missed something - are people particularly interested in Belgium for some reason?

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

We trialled the social distancing at Largs for the fortnight prior to the lockdown being announced and it worked perfectly.

1. Only people with a pre - booked time could play

2. Clubhouse was closed so change in the car park (away from people) or in your car.

3. Pins removed from the practice putting green and putt with pins left in on the big greens.

4. All ball washers removed from the course and hand sanitiser positioned strategically around the course.

5. pick the ball up using your gloved hand.

6. Social distancing to be adhered to at all times on the course (as it is under normal circumstances anyway, due to the nature of the game)

7. No scorecards

Basically all common sense and little to no risk of coming into contact with anyone else.

There's Golf courses lying empty all over the place and in Scotland most are open to all, so even those who wanted to take the game up, there would be ample opportunity and the clubs themselves would be overjoyed about this since Golf is a sport in serious decline.

Ultimately people are allowed to cycle, walk, fish etc so as far as I'm concerned there's no real rationale for having Golf courses remaining closed.

Do you really need to change to play golf other than putting on another pair of shoes? One of the reasons I never took to it as a child was that at my granda’s favoured course you had to put on smart trousers to play for no apparent reason.

PS. Ball washers. Lol

14 minutes ago, The OP said:

Do you really need to change to play golf other than putting on another pair of shoes? One of the reasons I never took to it as a child was that at my granda’s favoured course you had to put on smart trousers to play for no apparent reason.

PS. Ball washers. Lol

Just shoes really, although waterproofs if raining and a change of clothes if the course is muddy which nowadays doesn't happen as much.

The strict dress code stuff doesn't really happen that much nowadays as most courses are pretty relaxed with a wide ranging membership rather than the old fuddy duddy types that get the stereotype.

Yes, you can't beat a ball washer !!

Edited by WATTOO

The USA did nothing to stop the wealthy fleeing to their second homes on the east coast or Florida, north California etc unlike here. There was and article about New York calling it a 'Tale of two Cities' don't know where, might have been the BBC and it really highlighted the difference between the haves who fled and likely spread the virus and the have nots who live in crowded areas who will be left to face the virus while locking down

There's a ton of New Yorkers in the Miami area, which may be part of why the Mayor of Miami-Dade County locked down on March 21st rather than waiting for DeSantis to stop wanking himself over pictures of Trump and do something.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Just shoes really, although waterproofs if raining and a change of clothes if the course is muddy which nowadays doesn't happen as much.

The strict dresscode stuff doesn't really happen that much nowadays as most courses are pretty relaxed with a wide ranging membership rather than the old fuffy duddy types that get the stereotype.

Yes, you can't beat a ball washer !!

Why the shoes? Trainers don't do any more damage.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Why the shoes? Trainers don't do any more damage.

It's more for safety regarding the grip or lack of.

The new range of Puma, Adidas, Nike shoes are more like trainers in any case.

28 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I've not been posting or browsing for about a week so I might have missed something - are people particularly interested in Belgium for some reason?

They have mayonnaise with their chips. If people aren’t interested in keeping a close eye on them then it’s an international dereliction of duty.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Agreed.

This idea that, for the Tories, it's a straight shootout between the economy and people dying is unbelievably simplistic and I have no idfea why someone would choose to either believe that or pass it on as fact.

Purely on health terms, if the lockdown continues for too long we end up with it killing more people than it protects and I'm talking about untreated cancer patients etc.

It's a balance where people die no matter what the Tories do.

As for the economy - if the economy dies, people will die too.

For all their mistakes, the Tories have done some good things in this crisis. They are voluntarily paying countless employees on furlough rather than have them on the dole (which would have been much much cheaper for the Tories). Millions of small business owners will just have had or soon will have non-repayable grants of either £10k or £25k paid straight into their bank accounts with the 80% average profit payments to kick in within 6 weeks. If the Tories were worried just about money they needn't have done any of this.

It's a real shame that so many people seem to be incapable of understanding this stuff but if someone is blinded in their hatred of the Tories then I suppose they can't be expected to be fair or balanced in their analysis.

They are worrying about the money that's exactly why they're trying there hardest to protect their tax base from being completely decimated. They aren't doing out of the kindness of their fluffy, cuddly hearts.