Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Same where I am.  More  folk wearing masks though, and all observing the distancing.  People just getting used to it as a (hopefully) temporary way of life I suppose.

Hand sanitising in shops, trolleys being cleaned after use, advice not to handle produce unnecessarily have all become the norm. 

Maybe 'just' another 3 weeks until some kind of relaxation here.

eta       Fcking hope so.

This is a very good point which shouldn't be overlooked.

Basically most people will be more wary in the future as subconsciously they'll be washing their hands more, they'll be distancing themselves from others far more, they'll be practicing all round better hygiene and some won't be as touchy feely as they once were.

As such, you would think that this in itself would have a huge bearing on life after lockdown and automatically lower future transmission rates.

6 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

That sounds like bollocks to me.

How long do people survive in care homes?
In the Bupa sample, the average length of stay was 801 days, but with a considerable tail of long-stayers. Half of residents had died by 462 days. Around 27% of people lived for more than three years, with the longest stayer living for over 20 years.

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
25 minutes ago, Gaz said:
The various governments relaxed the rules last week for people with learning disabilities which means that we can drive a short distance for exercise, and that we can go out for shorter periods more than once a day. This is a Godsend to us. Unfortunately my wife and I now know of several people who happily admit to lying that their children have learning difficulties so that they can go to the park five times a day.

Is this a thing? My partner has a long term brain injury so this would be great for her.

Yes. It's been great. Both our oldest daughters have learning difficulties and autism so keeping them in the house for 23+ hours a day was really challenging. Our local area isn't family friendly so now we can drive a short distance to a park.

This is maybe where the German Federal model comes into it's own as basically the needs of rural areas vary greatly to those of the large Towns and City's and generally heavier populated areas.
It would also allow for local anomalies where certain regions were hit far less than others, even if they had densely populated areas within their region.
Looking at Spain again, although Barcelona and it's surrounds were hit hard, further South in Catalonia the likes of Tarragona down towards Valencia have been let off pretty lightly and as you say, Southern Italy taken in isolation has far lower rates than it's Northern counterpart.
Maybe we need to look at what works best for each area, although this will undoubtedly require a huge increase in testing and tracking and also some sort of ban on movement and of course politically would the Government be willing to treat areas differently ??
Who knows, but we really need to be looking at various strategies to get us out of this crisis.

I think there will be some divergence in the UK approach and Arlene Foster has been hinting at that today. England will suffer because they’ll likely need to be treated as one unfortunately, but realistically the south east and west will be ready for easing long before London. I think messaging would become too confused if the government are saying it’s fine to go out in Swindon but not Croydon.

Whether Scotland end up going before or after England remains to be seen. As a whole we’re doing a bit better here but I also think we have a government more concerned about health than the economy. I could foresee a scenario where we stay under more severe restrictions than England because Johnson wants to act the hero, but equally we might follow a similar path in terms of statistical indicators and if we do Scotland as an entity will almost definitely hit those before England as a whole.

Sturgeon is due to speak about next steps today so it’ll be interesting if she goes into detail or keeps it vague. Hoping for her to essentially set out KPIs that trigger certain actions.

This place will be like the States you'll have loonballs wanting lockdown released and the Tories will buckle and we'll have another wave of virus and we'll go roon in cricles with more people deed.
I know in america you have lobbies that pay a fortune to pretty much bribe senators and others to stand up for their agenda. I can imagine business leaders putting pressure on the government here.
My company tried their best to bend the rules to get us to continue working. We were told we were essential then furloughed so I'm guessing they were at it.

My maw is to get tested today. Works in a care home where it's spread quite rapidly. 3 deaths in the home being linked with it but not being confirmed as other serious medical issues. 

She noticed she had a sore throat this morning and phoned her work, they've booked her a test and she's just waiting for the phone to go to head off for it.

29 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

How long do people survive in care homes?
In the Bupa sample, the average length of stay was 801 days, but with a considerable tail of long-stayers. Half of residents had died by 462 days. Around 27% of people lived for more than three years, with the longest stayer living for over 20 years.

It's not talking specifically about Care Homes.

Just now, jagfox99 said:

It's not talking specifically about Care Homes.

I know that, but they reckoned 80% of our deaths (not including care homes) were of people aged 75 or over and those with serious underlying conditions.

If you then calculate that care home deaths are reckoned to add a further 40% to 50% on to the total deaths figure, then it would take a rather large leap to believe that the majority of those dying had at least another 10 years of life left in them. Keeping in mind many were actually terminally ill with various cancers.

I'm not trying to belittle the deaths of anyone, but I just feel that it's utter nonsense to suggest that the majority would have lived for at least another 10 years.

How long do people survive in care homes? In the Bupa sample, the average length of stay was 801 days, but with a considerable tail of long-stayers. Half of residents had died by 462 days. Around 27% of people lived for more than three years, with the longest stayer living for over 20 years.
Here's some more information, based on the report of people going into intensive care.

26 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I can imagine business leaders putting pressure on the government here.

Sky and the bookies will have the football back on in no time imo. The brewers will have their traditional leverage over the Conservative Party's coffers too.

You think our police are over reacting to people, how about this from the USA? I saw it on a legal issues YouTube channel

https://reason.com/2020/04/17/a-teenager-posted-about-her-covid-19-infection-on-instagram-a-deputy-threatened-to-arrest-her-if-she-didnt-delete-it/

This is so fucked up it's not true. Short version - schoolgirl goes to Florida, comes back with what looks like Covid 19, goes to hospital and gets diagnosed, is released, tells her friends on Instagram about it, also tells the school to warn people. She then worsens, gets readmitted, then comes home again. The local sherrifs department then visits, telling her to delete her posts or she and her parents would be arrested for disorderly conduct. Apparently the school hadn't bothered to get back to her, but had complained to the police and basically said she was lying about having it.

Shes now sueing the school, the sheriff, and the officer who threatened her.

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Hate when people look for the negatives 😡

I think it's more about dispelling 'they were going to die anyway' trope.

None of it's positive really. But if people stick to some basic advice they are better positioned to get through this.

55 minutes ago, chocolateankles said:

This place will be like the States you'll have loonballs wanting lockdown released and the Tories will buckle and we'll have another wave of virus and we'll go roon in cricles with more people deed.

I doubt we'll be out waving guns, we'll just drift out of it gradually.

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I know that, but they reckoned 80% of our deaths (not including care homes) were of people aged 75 or over and those with serious underlying conditions.

If you then calculate that care home deaths are reckoned to add a further 40% to 50% on to the total deaths figure, then it would take a rather large leap to believe that the majority of those dying had at least another 10 years of life left in them. Keeping in mind many were actually terminally ill with various cancers.

I'm not trying to belittle the deaths of anyone, but I just feel that it's utter nonsense to suggest that the majority would have lived for at least another 10 years.

I'd take data analysis over feelings any day of the week.

Care Homes don't specifically deal with terminal cases. That's more hospices or home palliative care.