Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm more bothered about where I'd actually get a mask. I'm not a bankrobber, a superhero or a wrestler, so I tend not to make a mask part of my usual attire.

I ordered two N95 masks from a certain online marketplace shortly before the lockdown, with the first one arriving ahead of schedule yesterday. Other countries with compulsory mask wearing laws, like the Czech Republic, have just made the cloth masks themselves using their existing textile/village babushka industry.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I'm looking forward to the meltdown from yer da types when people are asked to wear a mask in public.

I bet more than a few on here flat out refuse.

I've a fetching Frankenstein one that cost about £3 50 so it would be good to get to wear it more than once a year. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I ordered two N95 masks from a certain online marketplace shortly before the lockdown, with the first one arriving ahead of schedule yesterday. Other countries with compulsory mask wearing laws, like the Czech Republic, have just made the cloth masks themselves using their existing textile/village babushka industry.

Will that be enough, best get a cbrn suit and mask just to be on the safe side.

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

Will that be enough, best get a cbrn suit and mask just to be on the safe side.

^^^ idiot found

I've little need to worry about my safety based on the available evidence, but by wearing a mask I can eliminate the risk of passing it on while in a public space. It also removes the requirement for strict social distancing - despite the government's current, utter nonsense claim that it's better to marshal every single movement and crash the entire economy in the process rather than just telling people to wear a basic face cover and wash their fucking hands.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ idiot found

I've little need to worry about my safety based on the available evidence, but by wearing a mask I can eliminate the risk of passing it on while in a public space. It also removes the requirement for strict social distancing - despite the government's current, utter nonsense claim that it's better to marshal every single movement and crash the entire economy in the process rather than just telling people to wear a basic face cover and wash their fucking hands.

I take it that you've had a face fit test to clarify the effectiveness of said PPE? Because otherwise you are wasting your time. Also N95 is the American standard. The equivalent is FFP2. If you wanted a really effective mask, you should have bought FFP3. 

6 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

I take it that you've had a face fit test to clarify the effectiveness of said PPE? Because otherwise you are wasting your time. Also N95 is the American standard. The equivalent is FFP2. If you wanted a really effective mask, you should have bought FFP3. 

As a member of the general public and not a healthcare worker in an ICU, I have absolutely no need for effective PPE. All I need is a face covering that comes with the added benefit of turning bog-standard polluted air into a fresh Alpine breeze.

Thanks for playing anyway though.

Edited by vikingTON

I've yet to clap, but it's progress from the other week when I completely forgot all about it and decided to empty my glass bottle recycling at exactly the same time. Talk of the neighbourhood no doubt.

6 hours ago, greendot said:

List of questions every day or variations concerning the following.

PPE (think this one has disappeared now?)

When will lockdown end?

When will sports / gigs etc happen again?

What is the exit strategy?

Are we reaching the peak / plateauing?

It must get tedious answering the same old shite every day.  Are they expecting her to suddenly turn around and say, aye just carry on as normal overnight :rolleyes:

Einstein said it best............Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Fucking Journalists!

Another thing I've noticed is that  the more obscure the news outlet of the person asking, the better the question. 

When the guy from the Liverpool Echo asked why the Liverpool Athletico match took place (probably the best question asked at a briefing) it was good watching even the experts squirm instead of batting away shite questions they've answered hundreds of times already.

Kuennsberg gets questions every day and asks the most banal shite.

37 minutes ago, renton said:

Assuming the modelling was correct and that no lockdown would've killed in the region of 200,000 was it? That's more in 3 months than died in the WW2 British Army over 6 years of high intensity combat.

A 1-3% death rate would not have been pretty, or conducive to a good economy.

Having said that, we shouldn't be prevaricating in this state if we can build up a proper trace-isolate routine that can keep the r0 value down while allowing some degree of normality to exist.

Problem is we don't have that infrastructure, so we're going to end up loosening the lockdown just because, and cases and two weeks later, deaths, will spike. And what then? 

Don't know.if anyone like me just happened to have stv on, but they announced the clap, told us when it was starting, then played Queen we will rock you but with lyrics along the lines of nhs nhs we will support you. 

If I'd cringed anymore I might well have pierced the soles of my feet with my toe nails 

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

We used face masks and respirators to protect us against harmful fumes from chemicals and those of us who had beards were excluded as the effectiveness of said PPE was vastly reduced.

Considering there are a lot of beards or stubble about that might be a sacrifice that has to be made. Otherwise it would be completely pointless for some to wear a mask.

Agreed. I do face fit as part of my job. A bit of facial hair vastly reduces effectiveness. I have some masks (from before this shitshow), but I'm not wearing them as I've not shaved. 

There are a lot of Facebook moaners. "only 4 folk out clapping this week!! Poor show!!". In my view, it's been done once, it doesn't need done every fucking week. They also bleat on about it being down to apathy.