Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Shouldn't the last part read...crucially the government CAN trust the people to follow the rules... ?
Chicken and egg thing though.

We have our fair share of fannies but anyone that thinks Sweden doesn't is just ignoring basic common sense.

Big sweeping generalisations about populations, and how they behave, have to be treated with caution.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

We have our fair share of fannies but anyone that thinks Sweden doesn't is just ignoring basic common sense.

Big sweeping generalisations about populations, and how they behave, have to be treated with caution.

This was a good watch if you have half an hour to spare 

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I keep hearing all this shit about Swedish people trusting there government and being responsible and it certainly does not feel correct to me. While it is probably better than the U.K., there are still plenty of impoverished schemes in the main cities with high deprivation and crime. 

The key difference, is probably the expectation of independence which starts from basically as soon as people turn 18. But even then that probably doesn't cover a large amount of the population of foreign origin.

49 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Can someone on here update me on the situation in Sweden?

Am i hearing that their bold herd immunity is paying off, or was that wishful thinking from those who want our lockdown ended?

(apologies for not searching through the mud myself but i know there are folk on here clued up on the details)

Too early to say as we're only 10 or 20% down the road with this virus, we don't even know what % of the afflicted in each country are actually allowed access to ICU and ventilators, certainly looks like certain regions in UK have screened to avoid ICU being overrun, I've no doubt, our ICU would have been totally overrun in most areas if our lockdown had been delayed a fortnight, no amount of screening would have prevented that IMO. 

There's no point in anyone comparing Sweden to their neighbours at the moment,that's just failing to appreciate what Sweden' strategy is, if a vaccine was discovered and rolled out in the next few months then their approach would look poor, they might be sitting with a similar or lower death rate per head in 18 months time with more of a normal life lived over that time,we certainly can't live like we are for another 12/18 months. 

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

Don't know if anyone is using the app but I have been for the last few weeks takes less than 10 second to help people track the spread of the virus

Bit disappointed I didn't get a map of Inverness hot spots.

8 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I keep hearing all this shit about Swedish people trusting there government and being responsible and it certainly does not feel correct to me. While it is probably better than the U.K., there are still plenty of impoverished schemes in the main cities with high deprivation and crime. 

The key difference, is probably the expectation of independence which starts from basically as soon as people turn 18. But even then that probably doesn't cover a large amount of the population of foreign origin.

Also the foreign origin population more often live in multigenerational households and are getting infected disproportionately. And they mostly don't have summer houses they can swan off to and work remotely. 

So if they extend the lockdown again, which is probably the most likely action - what should the govt do to try and tighten it?

Is that possible at this stage, and is so, how? (no points for trucheon to the face suggestions)

Or is our general relaxation in recent weeks not as damaging as we fear? I'm pretty sure that even though more folk are out and about, they're still being much more careful than normal, both in terms of distancing and hand and surface washing.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So if they extend the lockdown again, which is probably the most likely action - what should the govt do to try and tighten it?

Stop the carnival on Westminster Bridge for a start...

Deaths are falling in Scotland. We should maintain the status quo here.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

When's the next review, Thursday the 7th? What do we reckon lads? Another few weeks off? 

I reckon another three weeks, get end May bank holiday past with nominal idiots trying go away for the weekend.

However if Arnold Clark could reopen so the finance company can start fighting with them to get my car fixed that would be welcome! 

55 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Too early to say as we're only 10 or 20% down the road with this virus, we don't even know what % of the afflicted in each country are actually allowed access to ICU and ventilators, certainly looks like certain regions in UK have screened to avoid ICU being overrun, I've no doubt, our ICU would have been totally overrun in most areas if our lockdown had been delayed a fortnight, no amount of screening would have prevented that IMO. 

There's no point in anyone comparing Sweden to their neighbours at the moment,that's just failing to appreciate what Sweden' strategy is, if a vaccine was discovered and rolled out in the next few months then their approach would look poor, they might be sitting with a similar or lower death rate per head in 18 months time with more of a normal life lived over that time,we certainly can't live like we are for another 12/18 months. 

A comma does not perform the function of a full stop.