Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I work in primary school after care and the summer holidays are our busiest time of the year. Given that our work requires more one to one contact with the children, I just can’t see how it will work. We have had no information at all. 

I saw a clip from the BBC yesterday on how Denmark is handling having primary schools open again. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/52649919

Hourly hand washing. A great, simple, cheap and very effective idea.

The virus is killed by soap. Seems a bit to me that we've forgotten this in favour of being 2M. apart from one another.

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Hourly hand washing. A great, simple, cheap and very effective idea.

The virus is killed by soap. Seems a bit to me that we've forgotten this in favour of being 2M. apart from one another.

Wash your mouth out!

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I didn't say it made a compelling case, I said it was one reason.

It's not a reason that can be discounted, though. Childcare is prohibitively expensive for a lot of families, and totally unavailable for more. That's why Grandparents provide so much. If that facility is taken away it's millions of people who can't go to work.

I guess the government could look at subsidising childcare more to make it affordable to people. This would sure be more cost effective than a furlough scheme for everyone.

On the flip side of that you have people like myself who don't have children so childcare issues have no impact on my ability to work.

It's not going to be possible to please everyone.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I guess the government could look at subsidising childcare more to make it affordable to people. This would sure be more cost effective than a furlough scheme for everyone.

On the flip side of that you have people like myself who don't have children so childcare issues have no impact on my ability to work.

We should know the status of every poster in that respect so we can view their posts accordingly.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They'd need to provide more places, too. We've 3 that we regularly looked after. A next door neighbour had 2. So there's 5 places that need to be found.

I would think child care places might need to be doubled if a lot of grandparents aren't available due to shielding.

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

They should be obliged to do under law, in the same way that HSE can hold them responsible for unsafe working practices. Of all the adjustments that business and society have been making recently it's hardly a major one at all; even your classic, moustache-twirling villain employers like Amazon have already allowed the same categories to go on the long term sick during lockdown. It does no sensible organisation any good to try and f**k over its permanent workforce right now. 

You're absolutely right that they should. I guess I'm just more cynical that smaller, more under-the-radar companies won't.

I have no doubt that there are many companies more villainous than Amazon who don't get anywhere near the same publicity because they're small, local businesses.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not just about subsidising childcare. The childcare isn't there to begin with. There aren't exactly millions and millions of unclaimed childcare spaces. The capacity isn't there.

Absolutely. We are a little bit ‘luckier’ in Scotland due to the timing. Being a couple of weeks behind England plus the holidays being a few weeks earlier than them, we can probably just about get to the summer without the same level of publicity/social media chat to get schools open again. We have six weeks to go but in England it’s roughly another 9?
24th July is the last day for Mrs Fifer's school.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

It's not just about subsidising childcare. The childcare isn't there to begin with. There aren't exactly millions and millions of unclaimed childcare spaces. The capacity isn't there.

Whilst I agree that is a problem, it's not a reason for preventing me or others in the same position working

2 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Absolutely. We are a little bit ‘luckier’ in Scotland due to the timing. Being a couple of weeks behind England plus the holidays being a few weeks earlier than them, we can probably just about get to the summer without the same level of publicity/social media chat to get schools open again. We have six weeks to go but in England it’s roughly another 9?

24th July is the last day for Mrs Fifer's school.

Does she work in a private school?

2 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

f**k the government, what about us?  2 metres is the recommended guidance.  

It's the government that recommended it. It's not some scientifically observed transmission limit for the virus. The fact countries in Europe had it at 1.5m ought to tell us that.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We should know the status of every poster in that respect so we can view their posts accordingly.

You seem surprised that different groups of people have different priorities

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

You seem surprised that different groups of people have different priorities

I wouldn't worry about it. A few weeks ago yon Granny responded to me asking him to justify why both he and his wife going to the shops was 'essential' travel by accusing me of making up my wife and kids.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's the government that recommended it. It's not some scientifically observed transmission limit for the virus. The fact countries in Europe had it at 1.5m ought to tell us that.

It's been reduced from 2m to 1m in Denmark.

Which is laughable tbh. It's either a thing or it isn't.

Edited by Todd_is_God