Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Another thought that occurred was that, as a result of having a longer lockdown, could we not potentially be in a situation where the easing of the restrictions is more accelerated than in England?  

Yes. But we won't

5 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I know a lot of folk are making comparisons to England in terms of the types of changes we make but the reality is the 'phases' are going to be broadly similar in lots of different countries.  It probably would make sense, on paper, that the more remote and rural parts of Scotland can ease their lockdown restrictions faster as they'll have less cases/population density etc. But the problem is, for example, if you eased lockdown in the highlands then how many folk would travel up there and potentially cause a jump in cases again?

Another thought that occurred was that, as a result of having a longer lockdown, could we not potentially be in a situation where the easing of the restrictions is more accelerated than in England?  

If people observe the restrictions regarding trave then it shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If you and your parents think it's safe, and you don't brag about it on social media, there's nothing stopping you other than the very unlikely event of a small fine if you get lippy with the polis.

We are well into ‘pick your own lockdown’ there’s virtually no enforcement of current rules.   Without enforcement what we are relying on is public confidence in the restrictions being the right thing to do and following them themselves and to a small extent self-policing.(I.e you might want to visit your parents but they tell you to stay home).

If NS follows BJ in they way we relax lockdown and certainly in how it’s communicated then public confidence will evaporate. 

Our work are providing facemasks for when people return to offices and have taken measures to socially distance offices.  I doubt I'll be back in the office for a good long while yet though.

Edited by ICTChris

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why would it be different to what is being done in England? 

Because the advice given in England has caused confusion and faced huge criticism, quite rightly. I'll hold off any further criticism of Sturgeons plan until we see what it actually means for us, my internal jury is leaning towards "fucked it" right now though.

Stats unsurprisingly showing the lowest earners least likely to be able to wfh - so they'll be the heroes in the trenches valiantly getting infected by the contagious virus and killing their grandparents. Posthumous VCs for the lot of them imo. 

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Because the advice given in England has caused confusion and faced huge criticism, quite rightly. I'll hold off any further criticism of Sturgeons plan until we see what it actually means for us, my internal jury is leaning towards "fucked it" right now though.

Johnston and co are so focused on the economy though, I do feel that NS has a but more empathy etc with the effect this has on people - both lockdown, and being out in public. She will certainly be clearer and talk less shite when outlining their plans, so I think it's a bit early to give up on her yet. 

These 3 posts are examples of people underplaying the serious consequences of extended lockdown.

For some people this is a piece of piss but there are plenty of folk who are really struggling with this - and that needs to be fully recognised, and factored into any discussions.

And that's the social consequences, before we get on to the economic consequences for those at the bottom of society.

Now I'm not denying that Boris and his pals have a wholly different agenda - but that doesn't mean to say their solution is wrong.

Im not downplaying the serious consequences, im a front line key worker who deals with people undergoing all manner of issues from this lockdown. Im also married to a GP who is doing her best for mental health patients whilst CMH provision has been rolled back (CPN’s are useless at the best of times). For me yes there needs to be massive investment in mental health provision etc BUT that’s secondary at this time to ensuring we keep lockdown going, yes its a fine balance but minimising the risk of death from covid must be the priority just now.

Quite disappointed with the FM's comments today tbh. I had hoped that when she mentioned doing what was right for Scotland that meant that she would develop a tailored aproach, not just copy BJ's plan but start it 21 days later.
I had hoped to be able to pop over to see my parents soon but knowing that, despite just 57 new cases being recorded yesterday, in a fortnight's time that is still going to be forbidden (and more than likely at least until nearly July) is extremely disheartening.
Why will you not be able to see your parents (albeit outside the actual house) next Thursday ?

The problem is that we aren’t acting in isolation and we are kind of forced into taking a broadly similar approach. The UK gov said they won’t extend the furlough scheme and the extension they have put in is dependant on companies sharing some of the cost, so if it effectively ends in July - there isn’t much choice but to get things going again, even if it’s against the Scot Gov better judgement. 

No, you can't meet both parents at the same time in England, and you can't meet at their house either.
No reason to assume it will be different here.
Let's wait and see what the document says on Thursday. I have a feeling a garden will be deemed fine up here as opposed to the nonsense in England.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is the Scottish government not just leaving it 21 days later so if there's a peak in England after relaxing lockdown they can say they were being more careful?

Could be we're earlier on the curve but using England as guinea pigs seems sensible before we take the brake off. Haven't been following the news today but I doubt we'd wait a full 21 days if it was all going smoothly down south.

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is the Scottish government not just leaving it 21 days later so if there's a peak in England after relaxing lockdown they can say they were being more careful?

There's nothing wrong with that.

Was it you who said (pages back) that for once Scotland is letting England be the guinea pig.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
Quite disappointed with the FM's comments today tbh. I had hoped that when she mentioned doing what was right for Scotland that meant that she would develop a tailored aproach, not just copy BJ's plan but start it 21 days later.
I had hoped to be able to pop over to see my parents soon but knowing that, despite just 57 new cases being recorded yesterday, in a fortnight's time that is still going to be forbidden (and more than likely at least until nearly July) is extremely disheartening.

Why will you not be able to see your parents (albeit outside the actual house) next Thursday ?

NS clearly said meeting a member of another household may be one of the things allowed but also hinted that any restrictions would not be lifted until a few days after the 28th

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Johnston and co are so focused on the economy though, I do feel that NS has a but more empathy etc with the effect this has on people - both lockdown, and being out in public. She will certainly be clearer and talk less shite when outlining their plans, so I think it's a bit early to give up on her yet. 

I firmly believe that of NS too, she's a smart person. It's why I'm so baffled she isn't shouting about test and trace from the rooftops when just about any country in the world who has this under control is doing just that. They tell us they're following scientific advice, if we proceed with easing lockdown without proper testing and tracing I'll be interested to see what science she's looking at and why she felt the successful science being followed in New Zealand or South Korea wasn't applicable here.

Lets bare in mind that the two countries above have been infected, locked down, closed their airports, controlled the virus and ended lock down before we even bothered our arse to test or even screen anyone entering the country. That is an absolute fucking shambles and one that all politicians in this country need criticised over.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
No, you can't meet both parents at the same time in England, and you can't meet at their house either.
No reason to assume it will be different here.

Let's wait and see what the document says on Thursday. I have a feeling a garden will be deemed fine up here as opposed to the nonsense in England.

Maybe i'm being a little pessimistic, but I honestly can't see the roadmap here allowing anything that isn't allowed in England. At any point.

Interesting article from forbes.cz

If you don't have a translate function on your device, here's an excerpt from the article showing the effects of air conditioning on a crowded restaurant in China:

In this sense, epidemiologists cite the example of January, when an infected visitor to a restaurant in China, where air flowed from right to left, infected five people downstream (and two due to turbulence upstream) at a dinner lasting more than an hour. And that's on "my" side of the restaurant, while the side wasn't hit at all. See drawing:

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZ3dkYXRhLm5ldC9mb3JiZXMvcHJv