Coronavirus (COVID-19)

NS clearly said meeting a member of another household may be one of the things allowed but also hinted that any restrictions would not be lifted until a few days after the 28th
I must have missed that bit, I thought she said from Thursday 28th. All will be revealed on Thursday but as I said I would be surprised if meeting in your / their garden wasn't permitted given the reaction down south. It's the best we were ever going to get , meeting inside was never going to be an option given the scientific advice re transmission.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I firmly believe that of NS too, she's a smart person. It's why I'm so baffled she isn't shouting about test and trace from the rooftops when just about any country in the world who has this under control is doing just that. They tell us they're following scientific advice, if we proceed with easing lockdown without proper testing and tracing I'll be interested to see what science she's looking at and why she felt the successful science being followed in New Zealand or South Korea wasn't applicable here.

Lets bare in mind that the two countries above have been infected, locked down, closed their airports, controlled the virus and ended lock down before we even bothered our arse to test or even screen anyone entering the country. That is an absolute fucking shambles and one that all politicians in this country need criticised over.

With all the cross border relations between Scotland and England I'm not sure how it would have worked going off on our own at the start. Stopping people arriving from Italian ski holidays at Edinburgh airport after changing at Luton, and forcing them into quarantine if we had any idea that's where they came from? Pubs closed in Gretna but not in Carlisle? Also I'm not sure we had any better information or interpretations of it than London back then, it's easy to look back and find countries who lumped on the right choice.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Perfect timing from Sturgeon.

Any earlier and she wouldn't have been able to see whether this had worked in England first. Now she can simply halt it if England has problems and people will credit her for that.

Any later and she'd have been pressured into following Boris if the reduced measures don't cause a second spike down South. She'd have lost control of the agenda and the story.

Whatever happens, she retains control of everything.

Strategically, this really is a very clever piece of work.

She is the undisputed master of triangulation.

35 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Stats unsurprisingly showing the lowest earners least likely to be able to wfh - so they'll be the heroes in the trenches valiantly getting infected by the contagious virus and killing their grandparents. Posthumous VCs for the lot of them imo. 

Millions of people have already worked through the peak eg supermarket workers, bin men, police.

I was originally expecting to be back at work today.  I now reckon a reopening date of 1 June is on the cards.

I imagine many other non-essential businesses will be looking at that date, with the exception of non-food retail, pubs, hairdressers etc.

I was originally expecting to be back at work today.  I now reckon a reopening date of 1 June is on the cards.
I imagine many other non-essential businesses will be looking at that date, with the exception of non-food retail, pubs, hairdressers etc.

My girlfriends a dental nurse and she says they’re expecting to be in amongst the last back to work.

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

My girlfriends a dental nurse and she says they’re expecting to be in amongst the last back to work.

What do you call a dentist who doesn’t like tea.

Spoiler

Denis.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

My own personal feeling on this is that this virus has spread so far through our country and so many people have had it that we're seeing herd immunity already.

Do you know many people who have had it? I don't know anyone apart from a few people on here who had similar symptoms but weren't tested. One niece's boyfriend came back from Italy with signs of flu and was tested negative, that's it. Might be loads of asymptomatic receivers but we have no way of telling as yet, and we don't even know if post infection immunity happens, or if so for how long. My hope of an early fix is the bug mutating to a less harmful form, like SARS1, but there's zero evidence of that happening so far. The worry is that both Governments' strategy of focusing the message on saving lives rather than lengthening the curve, for emotional effect, will backfire and if the death rate keeps trundling along as expected with gentle rises as the brake's taken off, well within the capacity of the NHS, there will be huge cries for a total lockdown again. It was always about capacity, never about the death toll.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

With all the cross border relations between Scotland and England I'm not sure how it would have worked going off on our own at the start. Stopping people arriving from Italian ski holidays at Edinburgh airport after changing at Luton, and forcing them into quarantine if we had any idea that's where they came from? Pubs closed in Gretna but not in Carlisle? Also I'm not sure we had any better information or interpretations of it than London back then, it's easy to look back and find countries who lumped on the right choice.

I don't hear anyone even raising questions about it in Parliament though. We are 2.5 months on from our first death and we're only just managing to look at the people entering the country? Fucking madness even without hindsight and questions need asked.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I would suggest that you guys might be missing the bigger picture here.

This is IMO about retaining control over events and the final story.

Perhaps I am missing the bigger picture here, we'll see how it plays out.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Booked in for an antibody test in a couple of weeks.

P&B will get to find out if my pitiful bleating was just that, or if I am a brave survivor deserving of far more respect than any of you c***s give me.

Im assuming this is not something that just anyone can ask for?

Edited by Todd_is_God

46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Millions of people have already worked through the peak eg supermarket workers, bin men, police.

I know. Mostly the low paid, who have no option to do otherwise, while middle class and rich stay at home. That's my point

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

we now need to see if we can free the majority of the herd and focus and isolating the vulnerable. There's an argument for saying we should have adopted that approach from day one but hindsight is like that. 

The closest I've seen to that is Russia, most people in countries that didn't impose any restrictions have ignored the advice and pretty well isolated on their own.  Dagestan I heard on the radio has an official death count of 27, the health minister announced that 40 doctors have died from Covid, so I the figures are uncertain at least. Scientists will be fuming that there has been no data to collect on do nothing populations.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Im assuming this is not something that just anyone can ask for?

Its organised through my work. f**k knows how they came to be in possession of hundreds of these tests other than that money talks.

Hopefully it means they are going to be widespread soon though 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Perfect timing from Sturgeon.

Any earlier and she wouldn't have been able to see whether this had worked in England first. Now she can simply halt it if England has problems and people will credit her for that.

Any later and she'd have been pressured into following Boris if the reduced measures don't cause a second spike down South. She'd have lost control of the agenda and the story.

Whatever happens, she retains control of everything.

I don't really see that. People are beginning to simply do what's allowed in England from what I see, which is hardly surprising seeing as the media is so London focused. Sturgeon risks looking like she's not in control at all.

48 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you know many people who have had it? I don't know anyone apart from a few people on here who had similar symptoms but weren't tested. One niece's boyfriend came back from Italy with signs of flu and was tested negative, that's it. Might be loads of asymptomatic receivers but we have no way of telling as yet, and we don't even know if post infection immunity happens, or if so for how long. My hope of an early fix is the bug mutating to a less harmful form, like SARS1, but there's zero evidence of that happening so far. The worry is that both Governments' strategy of focusing the message on saving lives rather than lengthening the curve, for emotional effect, will backfire and if the death rate keeps trundling along as expected with gentle rises as the brake's taken off, well within the capacity of the NHS, there will be huge cries for a total lockdown again. It was always about capacity, never about the death toll.

Next door neighbour had it. Somebody that an acquaintance knew was in an ICU bed with it. Grandson nr 4's step sister's boyfriend had it. That's it from here.

13 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

There will be a lots of people that are not working class working from home instead of in the office.

Is that not what madwullie said?

32 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I know. Mostly the low paid, who have no option to do otherwise, while middle class and rich stay at home. That's my point