Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Romeo said:

My son is at Glasgow and knows one of the confirmed cases. He hasn't been in contact with this person for about a month.

In totally unrelated news...

Anyone any advice in how to seal up a room to make it airtight?

Funnily enough...

'HERD IMMUNITY'
I've been wondering about this, and to me it sounds a bit like 'survival of the fittest'  dressed up as something else.
That is, government doesn't actually do very much.  I appreciate that this does rather fit with the record, and attitude of the government over the
last almost 10 years.
My basic question really is... are the pronooncement coming out of the top people at the NHS based on the best known scientifics advice,
or is what they are ultra heavily influenced by politics, and the sundry policy wonks, political advisers, 'nudge theorists' etc ?
This isn't really some abstract question.  On the run up to the recent General Election, the now Prime Minister stated absolutely that he had a new plan
for social care for elderly people 'ready to go' ( or whatever the glib phrase was ).  Post election, he admitted that he didn't have a plan.
So it was all a lie. Just a  straightforward, unashamed , blatant lie. 
As I said, is it just survival of the fittest?  Is this the kind of country we are ?

500,000 to 2,000,000 dead. No big deal.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
4 minutes ago, beefybake said:
'HERD IMMUNITY'
I've been wondering about this, and to me it sounds a bit like 'survival of the fittest'  dressed up as something else.
That is, government doesn't actually do very much.  I appreciate that this does rather fit with the record, and attitude of the government over the
last almost 10 years.
My basic question really is... are the pronooncement coming out of the top people at the NHS based on the best known scientifics advice,
or is what they are ultra heavily influenced by politics, and the sundry policy wonks, political advisers, 'nudge theorists' etc ?
This isn't really some abstract question.  On the run up to the recent General Election, the now Prime Minister stated absolutely that he had a new plan
for social care for elderly people 'ready to go' ( or whatever the glib phrase was ).  Post election, he admitted that he didn't have a plan.
As I said, is it just survival of the fittest?  Is this the kind of country we are ?

With no football on, is anyone taking bets?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
3 minutes ago, beefybake said:
'HERD IMMUNITY'
last almost 10 years.

I'm not sure 500,000 is the lower end estimate, but the numbers are definitely scary. I'm not sure having these running totals helps at all - we don't get one for the flu each year, nor cancer. We'd be much more frightened of them if we did. It's basically a shitty situation but it still might turn out to be not quite as bad as it seems right now.

I'm not sure 500,000 is the lower end estimate, but the numbers are definitely scary. I'm not sure having these running totals helps at all - we don't get one for the flu each year, nor cancer. We'd be much more frightened of them if we did. It's basically a shitty situation but it still might turn out to be not quite as bad as it seems right now.
Hope so.

'HERD IMMUNITY'
last almost 10 years.
My basic question really is... are the pronouncements from the top people at the NHS based on the best known scientifics advice,
or are they ultra heavily influenced by politics, and the sundry policy wonks, political advisers, 'nudge theorists' etc ?

It’s being used in almost every country that isn’t Italy or Spain. As none of us is medically trained, we just have to go with it. Experts will get us through this, not folk second guessing them and panic buying bog paper because they haven’t shut down the entire country yet.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Hope so.

The South Korean figures give some reasons for optimism. They are the only ones to have tested a big group of people (the church group) irrespective of whether they were symptomatic or not. So far the deaths and number of serious cases is quite low from that group.

Herd immunity is a well established method of controlling diseases.  Its why diseases like measles were effectively controlled by vaccination until enough parents stopped vaccinating their kids and herd immunity broke down.  Basically, if enough people in the population are immune, then the virus has a very low probability of finding viable hosts and so  fails to spread.

Herd immunity is a well established method of controlling diseases.  Its why diseases like measles were effectively controlled by vaccination until enough parents stopped vaccinating their kids and herd immunity broke down.  Basically, if enough people in the population are immune, then the virus has a very low probability of finding viable hosts and so  fails to spread.
But we dont have a vaccine

12 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'm not sure having these running totals helps at all - we don't get one for the flu each year, nor cancer.

The figures also only ever go up. Anyone who recovers is still included in the running total.

Someone mentioned the swine flu pandemic a decade ago, and how the figures were also huge but there was very little panic.

Social media is absolutely driving fear. Bigger numbers lead to more clicks, and also leads to the panic buying we have been seeing over the last week.

Swine Flu took about 18 months to go away, during which time life pretty much continued as normal. This level of panic is unsustainable for that long.

15 minutes ago, bendan said:

I don't think anyone would be anymore scared of cancer given that everyone already knows how deadly it can be and it's not really relevant here as it's not contagious. 

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Pretty sure the idea is that enough people in the "herd" have caught it and have therefore theoretically built up a natural immunity to it to protect the at-risk people in the group. The problem with that theory is that experts aren't sure of the level of immunity after catching it and how likely you are to catch it again. 

In other news, I got a tremendous wage this week thanks to all the overtime as a direct result of the panic buyers. A big thank you to all the fucking morons out there. 

13 minutes ago, Helpma said:

That’s what I don’t understand though, we won’t have immune people because this is a new strain. There is no immunisation nor treatment.

How can we have a herd immunity if the majority need to catch it and some (many) people will die when they do? It really does just sound like f**k it, let everyone get it.

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The theory is we let loads of people catch it and the herd immunity will develop from the infected. 

I'm not a scientist but that sounds pretty fucking stupid to me. A bit like allowing a large number of people to die for the common good, something I'm not really morally aligned with. 

37 minutes ago, bendan said:

True, Ant Financial could have lied and it constantly tracks you rather than when you check in.

I don't trust Ant Financial anymore than Facebook, who have been proven to track me with their embedded app on my phone without me even being a subscriber.