Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't have a narrative.

The revised PHE deaths figures (which bring the daily deaths reporting in line with ScotGov reporting), support what I've been saying for some time. Covid is essentially over as a public health crisis in the UK, and the sooner we stop losing our minds about new cases because "Second wave" and "hundreds are still dying every day" (because they aren't) the sooner we can start getting things on a sensible road back to normality.

It's not my fault that people unquestioningly bought into the continued fear and hysteria, and stuck their fingers in their ears at even the slightest suggestion that they might be wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️

20200812_214344.jpg

“I’m right, here’s a graph which I selected”

On 24/07/2020 at 14:37, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Can you evidence this in anyway or is this just more opinionated claptrap, Todd?

On 24/07/2020 at 14:51, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Where is your evidence that stress levels are at their lowest amongst NHS staff?

Or are you yet again drawing another correlation between two variables which have little connection?

On 24/07/2020 at 15:38, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Ah, the old classic.

Ill put you down as a zero evidencer. 

Good day.

On 28/07/2020 at 00:07, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Evidence for paragraph 1, 2 and 3 then provide a link between all three. 

On 28/07/2020 at 08:42, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You seem to get easily offended at having to provide a bit of evidence for your wild opinions, Todd.  

Thanks for the life coaching though. 😂

MM marking himself out earlier on the thread as the upstanding champion of evidence-based posting - indeed a quick thread search of 'evidence' pulled these results up no bother.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

“I’m right, here’s a graph which I selected”

... except when the evidence doesn't actually fit his own knicker-wetting narrative of course, in which case the act of  providing it is in itself a bad faith argument.

I believe that this is known as a full-blown minter for you.

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
36 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’m beyond thankful to my mum, for not sending me to a school like that.

It's the local secondary. It's a traditional they have observed for decades apparently.

Where is that? 

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

MM marking himself out earlier on the thread as the upstanding champion of evidence-based posting - indeed a quick thread search of 'evidence' pulled these results up no bother.

... except when the evidence doesn't actually fit his own knicker-wetting narrative of course, in which case the act of  providing it is in itself a bad faith argument.

I believe that this is known as a full-blown minter for you.

White knighting a poster performing O-grade level statistical analysis with associated extrapolations of data to beyond the edge of the solar system is a new low point for yourself VT.

Thanks for playing anyway.

Spoiler

TV chef Ainsley Harriott to be honoured at Buckingham Palace | Express &  Star

How can they say with any certainty at this stage that a death eg 29 days after a positive test is not covid related? We don't know enough about the medium to long term impacts of the virus yet.

That’s true. It’s perfectly possible that the new PHE method of counting will miss some deaths while still counting some non-Covid deaths. You could die of completely unrelated causes the same day as a positive test but then suffer long term complications and die months later from Covid. My next door neighbours daughter in law was in intensive care with Covid and suffered kidney failure, which will have significant long term consequences that could cause her significant harm for years.

The thing is to find a reporting mechanism that finds a balance between these extremes. It’s bee obvious doe a while that something was up with the English reporting -very large numbers for home deaths from Covid compared to anywhere else. This correction remedies that, at least a bit.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My next door neighbours daughter in law was in intensive care with Covid and suffered kidney failure, which will have significant long term consequences that could cause her significant harm for years.

Out of interest, was this person relatively young and fit?

What do you actually think of the teaching profession in areas that clearly tried to play the system ?

I'm pissed off and many of my colleagues are but sadly we all know it happens, and not just this year. One of the worst things to happen in my teaching lifetime has been the publishing of league tables IMO. All it encourages is the massaging of the statistics, whether that is removing people from the school roll of they think they won't pass any exams, schools that have been given inside info on exam questions (luckily a few teachers have been struck off recently after being caught doing this which will hopefully stop), pupils being waved through National 4s because there is no final exam and the kids can just sit in a room with the PT and somehow all manage to pass the unit assessments etc. Even daft things like Teachers who turn up late to in-service day meetings or who play on their phones during things like that piss me off - they wouldn't accept that from a pupil - and for a so-called profession, sadly it lacks professionalism in a great many areas.

I'm pissed off and many of my colleagues are but sadly we all know it happens, and not just this year. One of the worst things to happen in my teaching lifetime has been the publishing of league tables IMO. All it encourages is the massaging of the statistics, whether that is removing people from the school roll of they think they won't pass any exams, schools that have been given inside info on exam questions (luckily a few teachers have been struck off recently after being caught doing this which will hopefully stop), pupils being waved through National 4s because there is no final exam and the kids can just sit in a room with the PT and somehow all manage to pass the unit assessments etc. Even daft things like Teachers who turn up late to in-service day meetings or who play on their phones during things like that piss me off - they wouldn't accept that from a pupil - and for a so-called profession, sadly it lacks professionalism in a great many areas.
Really appreciate a teacher with the honesty and balls to call out the bad eggs. Good to hear it is not impossible to be fired. Thought you had to be a convicted beast.

24 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Todd is God can you start a tally chart of schools vs boozers?

The pubs have taken an early lead which is exactly what the schools wanted to avoid at this stage but if they continue to keep it tight as the managers said pre match then I see them getting back into the this before the break, The pubs getting an early booking might see them take a more defensive approach now as they can't afford too many suspensions as the season drags on.  hard one to call at the moment,  whether or not the pundits view of "you don't spread with kids " line will come back to haunt them remains to be seen.