Coronavirus (COVID-19)

45 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Incredible. The lockdownphiles combine to try to discredit someone on the basis they believe and research whether a certain diet may help prevent cancers forming, or that, when combined with radio / chemotherapy, they may help with recovery and rehabillitation after.

What a strange world.

Questioning the source of online information and the people who send it is one of the basics of digital literacy training. Evaluating the source is not the same as trying to discredit them.

The English exam system seems even more fucked up than the scottish one.

If you appeal and win then you get marked up but someone else in your school is marked down to balance it out. Hunger Games - Exam Edition.

Remember that individual student performance does not matter, schools were essentially given a set number of As Bs etc to distribute based solely on past performance. It is disgusting.

6 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

She's a fake. You can see the costume packaging on the bed.

A doctor would see right through that.

Not sure what Dom Joly was doing in a Russian hospital.

28651686-8343109-image-m-14_159004475059

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8343109/Russian-nurse-disciplined-wearing-underwear-PPE-fears-losing-job.html

53 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Questioning the source of online information and the people who send it is one of the basics of digital literacy training. Evaluating the source is not the same as trying to discredit them.

From what @welshbairn posted about the group that have produced that video it's quite clear what their motive is.

However, that alone is not reason to discard the description of a testing process, and the limitations of it.

These are also mentioned here https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/infectious-positive-pcr-test-result-covid-19/ among other places

From what I can gather, PCR tests were not designed to be used to confirm infections in the way they are being used.

Given that it is now case numbers alone which are driving devisions, If our journalists were worth their salt, they should be identifying these limitations and using the opportunities given to them at the daily briefings to ask what we in Scotland are doing to validate whether or not the individuals testing positive using these PCR tests are actually infectious, or whether they are picking up partial RNA strands / dead viruses.

Instead, each day they ask the likes of where NS is going on holiday, or whether or not we should be locking places down for a handful of cases.

Not one of them asked her about the reviewed PHE figures either. That is a huge piece of news that might lead to a change of strategy and public opinion in England, which could impact on her desire for an extension to the JRS.

Edited by Todd_is_God

On 11/08/2020 at 05:25, hk blues said:

He's just turned 8.  The problem here is they have to deal with 3 languages - the local dialect which is used for all day-day activities and the national language which is actually only used in the Manilla area in the main.  English is used as the legal language for official documents.  My son is competent in both Tagalog and the local dialect but his mother tongue would be English.  

I don't think he'd find it difficult to deal with 3 languages at that age, his brain will be going mad firing up new structures and connections. After having to rapidly pick up Swedish to survive in school I found French and later German a doddle. Shame I didn't keep them up, especially Swedish where I came 2nd in class after a couple of years, and embarrassingly 4th in English. 

It's not often Graphman makes a pertinent, well observed point but he's dead right about the quality of questions being asked at the FM's briefing.  I mean, seriously what response did the journalist from The Scotsman expect when they asked if the FM was contemplating another Lockdown? Rhetorical question but did they just want the blatantly obvious response of 'we can't rule anything out during a global pandemic' simply so they can run the headline "FM Refuses to Rule out Second Lockdown"?

The standard of journalism in this country is truly terrible. It's all about lurid, sensationalist headlines rather than trying to hold governments to account. 

They were not any better for Westminster - Peston's windbag ask the fucking question, Kuennsberg's sycophantic slaverings - only the woman from C4 News was decent. 

The Cummings briefing was the ultimate in the press missing an open goal from one foot. I was shouting at the TV the questions he should be asked - an ordinary Joe or Josephine in the street could do a better job.

Take a chill pill Todd. I looked her up when I saw you guys discussing her. 
Besides, it's hardly a ridiculous assertion that someone who has off the wall beliefs in one area may also be a bit out there in others. Nor is it out of order to question them in all areas when they do believe in something bizarre
Most conspiracy theorists for example don't only believe in one. It's called being credulous. 

Is that Todd or the German scientist you are talking about?

Of all the fad diets the ketogenic diet is one of the few that has a pretty much universally recognised medical benefit - reducing seizures in some epileptics. It’s probably worth investigating in terms of other potential applications but I’d say it’s pretty doubtful that it’s going to cure cancer in any meaningful way.

One thing that we see now is people treating diets as religions. In the case of veganism i believe that certain Vegan adherents are legally entitled to claim it as a protected characteristic. A lot of people can’t just say “this diet really works for me” they have to believe it’s the answer to mankind’s problems.

7 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
7 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
These briefings need binned and made once weekly. It’s like a mini episode of Eastenders - crying , fear, apologies, blame, a supporting cast of bit part players. 
Oh and the R rate “may be above 1”. Make of that what you will

Why on earth do you watch them. Eastenders imo should be binned it's dugshite hence I choose not to watch it rather than sit through it then whinge about how shite it was.

I haven’t watched Eastenders since I was about 15. Today’s briefing was the first I’d flicked over to in weeks