Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I might offer to "weaponise" the next female I speak to in a pub.... See where it leads.

Theres more than a sniff of Gareth Keenan about it though so I dont expect too much.

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Can I weaponise you?

giphy.gif

ETA: f**k you @Bairnardo

I fear this subject has taken a dark turn. I blame @Sergeant Wilson for this. 

54 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Of all the fad diets the ketogenic diet is one of the few that has a pretty much universally recognised medical benefit - reducing seizures in some epileptics. It’s probably worth investigating in terms of other potential applications but I’d say it’s pretty doubtful that it’s going to cure cancer in any meaningful way.

One thing that we see now is people treating diets as religions. In the case of veganism i believe that certain Vegan adherents are legally entitled to claim it as a protected characteristic. A lot of people can’t just say “this diet really works for me” they have to believe it’s the answer to mankind’s problems.

No one was claiming it cured cancer though.

It was misquoted in an attempt to discredit her explanation of what a PCR test can and can't indicate, because even opening up to the idea that they alone may not be designed to do the task they are being used for isn't what they wan't to hear.

Given the absolute disaster we have had across the UK with the consistent, accurate reporting of our figures, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the number of new cases being reported was not accurate.

PCR testing, it would seem, is not designed to confirm asymptomatic cases of SARS-Cov-2, as described by the prof. in the video, and again here (among other places):

https://privateharleystreetclinic.com/blogs/covid-19-information/covid-19-pcr-test-faqs

The PCR test will detect viral RNA from your nose and throat. The chances of detecting virus are highest in the days surrounding the start of symptoms. Ideally the sample should be taken from symptomatic individuals between day 1-5 from symptom onset.

Confirming a positive, infectious case through contact tracing / routine testing of asymptomatic indidviduals doesn't appear to be possible with a PCR test alone.

It will detect that their is at least part of the virus present, but without symptoms you can't say whether someone's immune system has already destroyed the virus / whether the virus is dead.

It's one thing to advise asymptomatic people to isolate as a cautious measure, but it's quite different to add them to a "confirmed cases" total and then indicate that cases are rising.

Given the vast majority of new cases in the UK now come from these pillar 2 cases, I think "how many of these positive cases were displaying symptoms?" is a fair, reasonable, and fairly important question to ask IMO.

There's a reason hardly anyone is dying anymore, and I'd say it's a matter of urgency that we find out why.

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It was misquoted in an attempt to discredit her explanation of what a PCR test can and can't indicate, because even opening up to the idea that they alone may not be designed to do the task they are being used for isn't what they wan't to hear.

Given the absolute disaster we have had across the UK with the consistent, accurate reporting of our figures, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the number of new cases being reported was not accurate.

PCR testing, it would seem, is not designed to confirm asymptomatic cases of SARS-Cov-2, as described by the prof. in the video, and again here (among other places):

https://privateharleystreetclinic.com/blogs/covid-19-information/covid-19-pcr-test-faqs

The PCR test will detect viral RNA from your nose and throat. The chances of detecting virus are highest in the days surrounding the start of symptoms. Ideally the sample should be taken from symptomatic individuals between day 1-5 from symptom onset.

Confirming a positive, infectious case through contact tracing / routine testing of asymptomatic indidviduals doesn't appear to be possible with a PCR test alone.

It will detect that their is at least part of the virus present, but without symptoms you can't say whether someone's immune system has already destroyed the virus / whether the virus is dead.

It's one thing to advise asymptomatic people to isolate as a cautious measure, but it's quite different to add them to a "confirmed cases" total and then indicate that cases are rising.

Given the vast majority of new cases in the UK now come from these pillar 2 cases, I think "how many of these positive cases were displaying symptoms?" is a fair, reasonable, and fairly important question to ask IMO.

There's a reason hardly anyone is dying anymore, and I'd say it's a matter of urgency that we find out why.

It gets a wee bit technical for me, but in that paper I linked to they seem to be writing about how the ketogenic diet could treat, even cure, cancer. 

I have no preferences on what I want to and don't want to hear about what PCR tests can and can't indicate btw. I'm not as invested in it as you seem to think I am. 

If someone quotes someone with relatively radical beliefs, people will point that out

47 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Here's an interesting (if old and us-centric) article spitballing some ideas for your last paragraph. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

Edited by madwullie

16 minutes ago, madwullie said:

It gets a wee bit technical for me, but in that paper I linked to they seem to be writing about how the ketogenic diet could treat, even cure, cancer. 

I have no preferences on what I want to and don't want to hear about what PCR tests can and can't indicate btw. I'm not as invested in it as you seem to think I am. 

If someone quotes someone with relatively radical beliefs, people will point that out

To me it seemed they were exploring whether a keto diet helped slow tumour growth rather than cure it.

On the face of it I wouldn't say that seems particularly radical.

It's not something I have ever paid any attention to, however, so I've no idea what the default position on whether or not diet can have any meaningful impact on tumour growth.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think he'd find it difficult to deal with 3 languages at that age, his brain will be going mad firing up new structures and connections. After having to rapidly pick up Swedish to survive in school I found French and later German a doddle. Shame I didn't keep them up, especially Swedish where I came 2nd in class after a couple of years, and embarrassingly 4th in English. 

A girl in my year got Higher Norwegian.

She was Norwegian.

And yes, wid.

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

A girl in my year got Higher Norwegian.

She was Norwegian.

And yes, wid.

A girl at my college was Norwegian. She went bright red when anyone asked her name.

It was Benta Dik.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

As is Holland and Malta.
Giving it a week before Germany is added.

I'm due to fly to Munich via Amsterdam in October. Not that bothered about quarantining though, if it's not too dangerous.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm due to fly to Munich via Amsterdam in October. Not that bothered about quarantining though, if it's not too dangerous.

That is a horrible journey.

First time I had to go to Munich I was surprised at how poor the direct flight options were.