Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

doesn't sound insurmountable compared to eradication drives for other diseases. Obviously here it will be a fuckup because we have to have the step where the contract goes to whoever's got mates in the tory party regardless of ability to deliver that doesn't exist in other countries.

I for one am looking forward to my Serco inocculation with a reused needle.

If it is a one off vaccine then I agree. If it's something that needs boosting every 6/12 months it's a bit different.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fair point. What is the current roadside testing capacity?

No idea but sticking your arm out the car window would be a lot quicker than getting swabbed and getting them sent off to labs for processing.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No idea but sticking your arm out the car window would be a lot quicker than getting swabbed and sent off to labs for processing.

The processing time is irrelevant to how many swabs can be taken each day.

Even at a rate of 400,000 vaccinations a day it would take the best part of 6 months to get round everyone.

Depending on how often you'd have to boost the vaccination, id hardly call that "overstating" the logistical aspect of a UK wide total vaccination programme

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The processing time is irrelevant in how many swabs can be taken each day.

Even at a rate of 400,000 vaccinations a day it would take the best part of 6 months to get round everyone.

Depending how often you'd have to boost the vaccination, id hardly call that "overstating" the logistical aspect of a UK wide total vaccination programme

I had a flu vaccine last year and was in and out in under a minute. There are lots of ways they could step up the flu vaccine procedure without having people hanging about in waiting rooms.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

I'll guarantee that when a vaccine is available it will take an excruciatingly long time for the general population to be given access to it. Our newly vaccinated UK government will be telling us that the vaccine will be made available sometime next year.

Another point is the USA won't share their own manufactured vaccine with any one else and could snap up vaccines made in other countries for a fair price.

They've said they'll start off with NHS, carers and those who already qualify for the free flu vaccine. When they're out of the way the risk level will already have dropped considerably.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I had a flu vaccine last year and I was in and out in under a minute. There are lots of ways they could step up the flu vaccine procedure without having people hanging about in waiting rooms.

Yes. Because neither you or the nurse had to faff about with disinfecting the room etc.

You and I can talk about theoretical ways to speed up the process till the cows come home. @Tynierose might be better placed to judge, but I think 400,000 people per day is an extremely ambitious number, and even that would take nearly half a year.

If the vaccine is a one time deal then that's fine. If it needs boosting every year then it's not, and we'll end up just giving it to the flu jab people, and accepting that the younger people can get it - which is what we are currently seeing and losing our minds about.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

But the point was that if the immunity period only lasted 12 months then it would need vaccinated again.

The main reason why flu requires a new vaccine every year or so is because the dominant strains of the virus causing the illness change with almost every outbreak, plus the most vulnerable groups have got shite immune systems that need a regular boost anyway. There's little to suggest that Covid-19 is milling around with lots of other Covid viruses out there that will rotate in and out of circulation, so a seasonal vaccine probably wouldn't be required for the bulk of the population. 

If vaccine uptake is high enough and people stop eating fucking pangolins any other shite for a while then it could be eliminated or at least turned into a marginal disease with almost no relevance to everyday life. 

Just now, Snafu said:

And not for a second do I believe that first part.

That's for the free NHS ones. No doubt Harley St and BUPA will get hold of a load for those willing to pay to jump the queue. An immunised NHS workforce would massively help in getting things back to normal in hospitals.

1 hour ago, Beans on Toast said:

I won't reply to everyone who quoted me, but thanks for the replies.

I'm not an expert in this, or any, field and appreciate the majority of responses that provided reasonable points as to why any vaccine that makes it to market will be safe and why it should be taken.

Wtf is this? I don't come here to see people being reasonable ffs

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
They could do it kerbside like testing. It's just a jab, not an intravenous injection. 

At the moment folk who qualify for the flu vaccine through work get a prescription, take it to Boots or Lloyd's chemists and they jab you there and then 10secs tops.

It's not quite as simple as that in a pharmacy as there are various protocols which have to be adhered to before they stick the needle in.  It actually takes a lot longer to get the jab privately than it does via the practice nurse.

On the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53983392

"Provisional figures from 27 August show that 86.7% of pupils in Scottish schools were absent, down from a confirmed 95.8% attendance on 17 August."

Can we assume that this is yet another BBC typo?  If not thats skiving on an incredible level