Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

From personal experience, people will genuinely socially distance better when other eyes are on them (i.e. in pubs / restaurants).  As soon as they go to somebody's house then they'll find themselves squished up against each other on the couch

Smooth 

We clearly have a very big problem. 

Some of these new restrictions have been in place in the, among others, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde area for several weeks now. 

Today's figures show 181 new cases in the NHSGG&C area of which 132 are in the Glasgow City Local Authority area. 

The implementation of these restrictions would appear to have next to no positive impact in these areas. 

Which means either they don't work or they rely on a high level of compliance that we are simply not getting. 

Is there a correlation between a certain level of staunchness in Glasgow and its surrounds and an unwillingness to follow anything "that Sturgeon" says and non-compliance re Covid regulations? 

Are other countries as apparently reluctant to follow government rules?

Has the UK really had enough of experts as Gove suggested to the degree that during a global pandemic they are ignored?

My observations are that at least to a certain extent restrictions are being interpreted in a way that suits an individual. The household rule, for example, is seen as meaning house parties and not having someone over for a gab and a cup of tea when it clearly means anyone steeping over your threshold irrespective of whether they come with a bag of eccies and a cargo or a bit of battenberg and green tea. 

If we are relying on people seeing beyond the narrow confines of their own existence then I'm sorry we're gubbed. 

Me n current Mrs a-p are one house, a-p Jnr occasionally sharing. Mrs a-p (being an only child) has her muther as our extended household bubble.
The former Mrs a-p lives alone with a-p Jnr occasionally sharing
I think, as was so eloquently put earlier, he'll just need to pick ane.

He can pick you and join your actual household (not extended household) if he’s going to be staying their for a matter of “weeks rather than days”. In that case you can still bubble with your MIL but if he’s seeing his mum, he’d need to do so outside.

Or, he stays at his mum’s and sees you outside.

He could even do a while at his mum’s and a while at yours as you can CHANGE your household if moving for an extended period of time. But the key to it is that whoever he’s living with at a given time, he only meets the other outside.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My sisters birthday today.

Obviously can't nip round to her house for a chat now, so we'll just head to the pub instead...

Well you can since she said she was implementing these measures from tomorrow, legally on Friday. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Well you can since she said she was implementing these measures from tomorrow, legally on Friday. 

Its a separate note but I'm never sure why they give notice like this, as it just means folk will now go mental until the end of the week.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My sisters birthday today.

Obviously can't nip round to her house for a chat now, so we'll just head to the pub instead...

Not content with spreading your disease around your workplace, you're now heading to the pub.

Incredulous!

37 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Go on, I'll add to the confusion: the boy is 20 and currently down south on a training course. When at home he lives back and forth between his maw's house and here depending on his mood and who he is/is not talking to.

So when he comes back up at the road this weekend, he'll have to pick only one house that'll have to commit to for the forseeable?

Can't see anyone being happy abut that one! 😂

I know for young kids in this situation they are able to freely move between parental homes. Unsure if child is an adult though, but it might be an exception 

8 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Some of these new restrictions have been in place in the, among others, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde area for several weeks now. 

Today's figures show 181 new cases in the NHSGG&C area of which 132 are in the Glasgow City Local Authority area. 

The implementation of these restrictions would appear to have next to no positive impact in these areas. 

Which means either they don't work or they rely on a high level of compliance that we are simply not getting. 

Is there a correlation between a certain level of staunchness in Glasgow and its surrounds and an unwillingness to follow anything "that Sturgeon" says and non-compliance re Covid regulations? 

Are other countries as apparently reluctant to follow government rules?

Has the UK really had enough of experts as Gove suggested to the degree that during a global pandemic they are ignored?

My observations are that at least to a certain extent restrictions are being interpreted in a way that suits an individual. The household rule, for example, is seen as meaning house parties and not having someone over for a gab and a cup of tea when it clearly means anyone steeping over your threshold irrespective of whether they come with a bag of eccies and a cargo or a bit of battenberg and green tea. 

If we are relying on people seeing beyond the narrow confines of their own existence then I'm sorry we're gubbed. 

Trying to "get around rules" is the national pastime, which is probably a big factor. 

No idea whether people are more likely to just ignore rules. My experience in France in August was that compliance here is better, but that's based on 4 days of being there. 

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Go hillwalking.  Phone aff n enjoy what Scotland has to offer. Hth 

Turn your phone off and you're no longer participating in the contact tracing app and so will get a truncheon to the face for your trouble.

HTH. 

56 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I know for young kids in this situation they are able to freely move between parental homes. Unsure if child is an adult though, but it might be an exception 

All depends on whether 20yo a-p Jr has his own place.  If not then there's a choice to be made between a-p and a-p's ex.   If Jr decides to join the a-p household then he can't stay at his mum's at any point as his new chosen household has already used up its quota by already forming a bubble with a-p's MIL.   If Jr goes to his mum's then he can't go to a-p's for that same reason.  If he has his own place (i.e. separate household) then he doesn't have the choice of going inside a-p's hoose at all*.

*unless Jr decides to make staying with a-p a temporary, but long-term thing

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

132 daily cases in an area as large as Glasgow is really not a big deal: what matters is whether the trend is going sustainably up or not. Only those trying to grab a promotion like Sridhar are shrieking for 'zero Covid' to be the target here. 

If the government could get measures in place that would hold the R number steadily around 1 at such a relatively low rate of infection then they should absolutely do it. Whether these particular, clown-car governments could be trusted to get that balancing act right is another issue though. 

Todd is God joining a truly illustrious and exclusive list of Box Office Posters (the only other member I can think of is vT) with multiple posters coming on to demand his appearance and speculating on his whereabouts when a result doesn’t go his way.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Turn your phone off and you're no longer participating in the contact tracing app and so will get a truncheon to the face for your trouble.

HTH. 

Yup can imagine the signal will be good when hillwalking. Then at top they can track and trace you. Especially with all those hillwalkers gathered together eating some sandwiches and maybe a few biscuits 

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Yup can imagine the signal will be good when hillwalking. Then at top they can track and trace you. Especially with all those hillwalkers gathered together eating some sandwiches and maybe a few biscuits 

I don't think you understand how Bluetooth works tbh.