Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Unsurprisingly, people are going to people's houses with a carry out when they are lobbed out the pub at 10, or having impromptu street parties. Amazing that nobody thought this might happen. emoji849.png

I really don't get it. Have politicians forgotten why 10 o'clock closing was done say with? Quelle suprise, streets and transport busy all at once, binging before closing and carry out to people's houses. If we are trying to recreate the early 70s get the women's toilets taken out, stop selling food etc...being back real pubs!

The list of clangers is almost endless. Politicians I have little faith in any way,  but how on earth did this get missed by the Health experts and that unit of Behaviour experts that allegedly informed the first lockdown? Its inexcusable. 

Schools - see yesterday's Tweet; case numbers rising immediately identifiable with the schools going back, 

Students back at uni - cases flying up as students party. 

Pubs - party continues elsewhere (at least in England where this is technically allowed subject to restrictions, which are probably ignored anyway) and chaos as everyone is kicked out at once.

I think the pubs moaning is all a bit po-faced, but can see the wider picture about the restrictions in place undermining the entire point of them.

Just what did they think was going to happen?! Everyone would file out the pubs one-by-one in a two metre queue and wait 2hrs to get on the bus home to make sure social distancing was kept? That students would just spend their first few days away from home in their rooms not interacting? That schools were somehow "low risk" despite throwing 30 people from different households into a small room for six hours a day? 

Utterly delusional stuff. Well done to all concerned. 

Edited by Michael W

The list of clangers is almost endless. Politicians I have little faith in any way,  but how on earth did this get missed by the Health experts and that unit of Behaviour experts that allegedly informed the first lockdown? Its inexcusable. 

Schools - see yesterday's Tweet; case numbers rising immediately identifiable with the schools going back, 

Pubs - party continues elsewhere (at least in England where this is technically allowed subject to restrictions, which are probably ignored anyway) and chaos as everyone is kicked out at once. 

Just what did they think was going to happen?! Everyone would file out the pubs one-by-one in a two metre queue and wait 2hrs to get on the bus home to make sure social distancing was kept? That students would just spend their first few days away from home in their rooms not interacting? That schools were somehow "low risk" despite throwing 30 people from different households into a small room for six hours a day? 

Prwtty much if money is involved then science goes out the window.

Just now, Michael W said:

I wondered if it's a double bluff and rules being broken is exactly what was expected.

Anyway, I seldom see closing time these days. However, I will dust down my closing time argument.

"Wan mair, c'mon, A've been here a' day, ye were happy tae take ma money then, ya cùnt! Wan mair, please...bastārd. 6 cans and a half bottle then, but A'm no' payin' your prices. I'll replace it the morra.

What a p***k A'm a regular here."

38 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Unsurprisingly, people are going to people's houses with a carry out when they are lobbed out the pub at 10, or having impromptu street parties. Amazing that nobody thought this might happen. emoji849.png

This is England.

You can't buy alcohol after 10pm here and house gatherings are banned.

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to go on but if my experience of Dundee on Saturday night is typical then the town's here are dead.

I really don't get it. Have politicians forgotten why 10 o'clock closing was done say with? Quelle suprise, streets and transport busy all at once, binging before closing and carry out to people's houses. If we are trying to recreate the early 70s get the women's toilets taken out, stop selling food etc...being back real pubs!

Here here! I started going out in the early 2000s and didn’t feel like a saw the best days, only the dying days of pubs in decline which the smoking ban put out of their misery!
Lets go back to the filthy manky hovels that smelt of pish from the front door, that were always thick with reek despite never being that busy ! The same auld c***s sitting in “ their” seat nursing one pint for hours . The kind of place where people were scared to venture into unless they knew someone who drank there. The kind where scraps would kick of at anytime and the staff did f**k all to intervene except tell them to take it outside!
Those were real fuckin pubs none of these fancy modern cocktail bars!

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Here here! I started going out in the early 2000s and didn’t feel like a saw the best days, only the dying days of pubs in decline which the smoking ban put out of their misery!
Lets go back to the filthy manky hovels that smelt of pish from the front door, that were always thick with reek despite never being that busy ! The same auld c***s sitting in “ their” seat nursing one pint for hours . The kind of place where people were scared to venture into unless they knew someone who drank there. The kind where scraps would kick of at anytime and the staff did f**k all to intervene except tell them to take it outside!

Exactly, you're bringing a tear to my eye.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I wondered if it's a double bluff and rules being broken is exactly what was expected.

Anyway, I seldom see closing time these days. However, I will dust down my closing time argument.

"Wan mair, c'mon, A've been here a' day, ye were happy tae take ma money then, ya cùnt! Wan mair, please...bastārd. 6 cans and a half bottle then, but A'm no' payin' your prices. I'll replace it the morra.

What a p***k A'm a regular here."

Suppose it gives Good News Johnson the stick he needs to avoid seeming the bad guy and more like a spurned lover. 

" I trusted you, and you broke that trust! Now you'll be having no pubs you b*****d!"

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Suppose it gives Good News Johnson the stick he needs to avoid seeming the bad guy and more like a spurned lover. 

" I trusted you, and you broke that trust! Now you'll be having no pubs you b*****d!"

I was thinking the opposite. 

"You've fūcked it, we're not having any rules, don't blame me for your dead granny."

I suppose the people dancing in the streets or heading back to a house party has to be balanced with people not going out at all or leaving early.

Essentially though, pubs are fucked.  Huge numbers will close and when we emerge from this will have to be bought over and restarted by new owners.

32 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

The 10pm closing of pubs is being a bit over dramatised. Exactly the same happened when they shut at 11 down south. f**k all has changed

Very true but, as the Sarge says, part of the "café culture" revolution under Blair was to relax opening times, and a specific reason given at the time was to avoid having one co-ordinated dumping of drunken scum onto the streets.

48 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

This is England.

You can't buy alcohol after 10pm here and house gatherings are banned.

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to go on but if my experience of Dundee on Saturday night is typical then the town's here are dead.

York was like an enactment of the Last Days of Pompeii on Saturday.

I've mentioned it before, but the longer this clusterfúck shambles on, the more I think it would have been a good idea to ban alcohol sales at the start of this. The very reason many drink is to lower inhibitions, so is it really a surprise that guidelines are ignored?

ETA: Surprising (not) wee red dot - even less surprising is the lack of a post explaining why it was given. Haven't got the balls to comment until the gang get here, wee man? Pathetic, just like your cheerleaders.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Anyone who thinks banning alcohol sales would have been a good idea doesn't live in the real world.

Full blown anarchy.

"Good idea" may have been the wrong phrase. "Banning alcohol sales to ensure a better compliance with National restrictions which may, or may not, have a beneficial effect on a wider aim of reducing the number of fatalities from a previously unknown virus but would have denied a proportion of the population the opportunity of indulging in an entirely unnecessary drug for the duration and could, in this light, have been seen on balance to have been a positive measure" might have been better, but I'm not sure it would fit P&B's current binary environment - or the reasoning skills of many of its users.

TL;DR; Is Tennent's more important than yer Granny?