Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Update, mum phoned back:

Mum: We're fine for stuff you don't need to worry.

Me: But what if you need to self isolate?

Mum: We both feel fine, we're not going to need to isolate!

Me: But the government might force you.

Mum: Why would they do that?

Me: It doesn't matter why, they might do it. Tell me what food you'll run out of in 2 weeks.

Mum: Oh I don't know, and anyway we have a lovely butcher we can go to when we run out

Me: What if you can't go to the butcher

Mum: Who's going to stop me going to the butcher?

f**k me I'm engraving 'don't say I didn't warn you' on their grave stones.

You’re mum is not going to be the only one thinking/acting like this.

This is exactly why the government SHOULD be making certain restrictions compulsory and, fearing the political backlash, are not doing so.

Later in the report it models the effect of total supression, inevitably there is a second peak as the measures are lifted without any effort to build up immunity in the populace.
I also really dont think they'd be able to keep up the kind of supression levels we are seeing in Europe for more than a few months without totally trashing the economy to the point where that becomes the chief social strain rather than the virus.
It may make sense just now to prioritise supression to flatten the curve off, but they will need to switch back towards mitigation at some point...
There is a second peak but that's because they ended the suppression after 5 months. Presumably they'd have to kick it in again. The 2/3rds thing comes from where they turn suppression on and off like a tap based on their required ICU beds forecast.

I don't think we can keep it up either - I don't think we will handle it for much more than a month tbh. Everything 'worst case' is entirely possible due to the society this country has built for itself over the past few decades.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Nothing confirmed, all speculation at present.

Mrs. P. is a college lecturer and is still waiting for info from high heidyins on plans beyond April 20th. Staff still going in at present.

Students will be anxious as feck re. exams and this will also impact on staff.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

20 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Stay at home and with a bit of creative effort, Mrs Bairnardo will have a great time......for example....

1. Know any plasterers ? Good, ask to borrow their stilts, Mrs. B. will think you've arranged a tall, handsome gigolo to come over and give her a night of wild, unbridled pleasure.

2. Turn your garage / basement / spare room into a sex dungeon. Philpy can provide the hardware, Throbber will provide the creative ideas. Shandon is presently trying to get in touch with Damien Hurley to see if he will take the photies.

3. Make a lovely meal. The menu could be a melange from the 'Nom Nom Nom' thread and in this way, the P&B massive also have a 'hand' in Mrs. B's delight. Howzabout a mini mushroom supper starter ............

I'm sure other posters could chip in with more ideas for your delectation.

😷

@Bairnardo  ^^^ the idea

The reality...

8E680B8B-A88A-479C-B9AC-C70E02BA9A93.jpeg

Got a call from a customer yesterday wanting to go ahead with a job.  I called them back today and they have decided to put it off.

Don’t blame them given their age and the woman saying her husband had pneumonia just before Christmas.

Things are moving quickly and I expect a fairly step drop in business and general economic activity over the next few weeks

45 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I’m not getting this whole thing now. I’m not saying it’s not serious but the numbers don’t seem to make any sense at all.

According to the most recent numbers, the number of global cases of coronavirus is 183,658. Of this number 7,177 have died. That’s roughly 3%.

According to these numbers, 0.00009% of the worlds population has been or is infected with coronavirus of which 3% of them have died.

China seems to be coming out the other end of it now as the number of cases are reducing everyday. So let’s imagine everyone in the world with the virus what from China and everyone who got it died. China has a population of roughly 1,435,000,000 so with the global number of cases at 183,658 that equates to 0.013% of the Chinese population.

Therefore assuming that absolutely everyone in the world who has had coronavirus was from China and absolutely everyone who got it died, it would have killed 0.013% of the Chinese population.

I see your point. IF it's ONLY going to kill a small % then there could be an argument for just letting it carry on unabated. Not very caring tho, I'm over 65 and might be a statistic. People want their govs to look after them.

However, at the start no-one knew the stats. Now we have more info. The thing is very contagious  so if it spread uncontrolled, we would have millions off work and hospitals overwhelmed.  As it is, normal life is being curtailed. It would be far worse with a full blown pandemic.      Mibbes.

Disclaimer.    I am not an epidemiologist.

Been pleasantly surprised at the number of helpful suggestions from my anniversary ranging from eating a loaf in a hotel room to fabricating a sex dungeon complete with instruction manual from throbber. 

This is what pulling together looks like people.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

It’d be grounds to look for a new employer if they were, to my mind.

Are you suggesting a claim for constructive dismissal?  Or that folk should be up sticks and getting a new job?  Good luck with either option.

We only have 40 VPNs, we have about 95 workers who would need access to one should we all be sent home. If you could do anything to ensure my work can't purchase the additional 55 VPNs it would be greatly appreciated.

If they want to my work to buy and setup and manage these 55 VPNs I’m sure they’d oblige...

18 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I see your point. IF it's ONLY going to kill a small % then there could be an argument for just letting it carry on unabated. Not very caring tho, I'm over 65 and might be a statistic. People want their govs to look after them.

However, at the start no-one knew the stats. Now we have more info. The thing is very contagious  so if it spread uncontrolled, we would have millions off work and hospitals overwhelmed.  As it is, normal life is being curtailed. It would be far worse with a full blown pandemic.      Mibbes.

Disclaimer.    I am not an epidemiologist.

Maybe you should stop posting then and leave the discussion to those of us on here who are...