Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Are companies telling their employees this?  I doubt all but the stupidest of employers are giving the exact opposite advice to their employees.

More or less. We received a communication yesterday with all the usual "we care about you", "we're here to support you" crap, but the upshot was that we were still expected to provide our customers with a service and as things stand people should still come to work as normal.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Are companies telling their employees this?  I doubt all but the stupidest of employers are giving the exact opposite advice to their employees.

We have everyone working from home who can work from home. The rest of us are business as usual, unless self isolating. Expecting to have working from home capability in place in the next few weeks, but I'm not convinced. Was meant to be in that position from last week onwards and for whatever reason it hasn't happened.

Missus is just over 37 weeks pregnant and as much as we have enough saved that we could survive a year or two without income, I don't want to find out just how severely they will treat people who could/should be in but are not. I can't see it being easy to pick up a similar job at a similar wage any time soon.

We got told we were encouraged to work from home, but the next line of the email basically shamed anyone who choses to do so.

Needless to say I'm at home.

I've got a pounding headache but just gobbed some ibuprofen on the assumption it surely cant be corona - wish me luck bois

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Don't you just love the continuous advice from the media and Government of, "avoid the office", "do not go to work", "avoid public transport" etc etc.

Then you get the media doing their "tutt tutt" shame stories on people who have "ignored the advice" etc, etc.

Unfortunately what they haven't mentioned is that your company and your Boss are telling you the opposite and that you must attend and if you were to take the Government or media advice you'd most certainly be out of a job.

Once again it just confirms how completely out of touch with reality that both our politicians and our media remain.

Worse than useless, the lot of them.

They're not saying don't go to work, just work from home if you can.

Just now, welshbairn said:

They're not saying don't go to work, just work from home if you can.

No, the advice was "avoid the office" & "avoid public transport" so how can you possibly do either but still attend work ??

(assuming you work in an office and use public transport of course, which most of us do)

3 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

We got told we were encouraged to work from home, but the next line of the email basically shamed anyone who choses to do so.

I've got a pounding headache but just gobbed some ibuprofen on the assumption it surely cant be corona - wish me luck bois

Your post suggests that you already know that Ibuprofen is bad for you if it IS Covid19.    

Just in case you don't, you should use paracetemol.

Got this from a medical type on the telly.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

No, the advice was "avoid the office" & "avoid public transport" so how can you possibly do either but still attend work ??

(assuming you work in an office and use public transport of course, which most of us do)

Where did he say this?

Just now, cyderspaceman said:

Your post suggests that you already know that Ibuprofen is bad for you if it IS Covid19.    

Just in case you don't, you should use paracetemol.

Got this from a medical type on the telly.

Yup - saving my paracetemol for when it deffo is the bad thing

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

"if you can". It's about slowing down transmission as much as feasible without shutting everything down. Those who can work from home, do so.

Edited by welshbairn

As a completely uninformed member of the public, I am beginning to wonder how far is too far.....

Not saying we are going too far, just that I am now starting to have concerns about what the next few months looks like and what's going to be left at the end of it.

4 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Yup - saving my paracetemol for when it deffo is the bad thing

You edge-living, risk-taking, dude. 

IIRC she said it aided the virus, so you really shouldn't take it mate.

I flew back from Spain on Sunday, got a bit of a cough but really don't think it's the lurgy.

Edited by cyderspaceman

Dont take ibuprofen.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

As a completely uninformed member of the public, I am beginning to wonder how far is too far.....

Not saying we are going too far, just that I am now starting to have concerns about what the next few months looks like and what's going to be left at the end of it.

It’s impossible to cut off all contact with other folk, for most people it’s relatively easy to significantly reduce contact.  Surely that’s what we should be aiming for until advised otherwise.

14 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

3w43.gif

It’s impossible to cut off all contact with other folk, for most people it’s relatively easy to significantly reduce contact.  Surely that’s what we should be aiming for until advised otherwise.

Aye. Part of me thinks that a lot of the govt measures are aimed at ensuring folk take this seriously.

If you could reliably get folk to wash their hands, minimise contact with vulnerable people etc then that would probably be as much as we could do, but folk wont do it unless they are convinced the threat is serious.

I agree with the mass gatherings thing, I think crippling every day life is too far. Of course I realise that virologists know better than me, but it just seems to me like we are on the verge of going too far