Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Crazy idea but wouldnt it be a cracking way to cut transmission in schools by getting as many of the kids tested as possible? 
They announced today a staggered return in England to prepare for this very eventuality however it requires parental consent to test them and the few authorities who have spoken so far seem to be saying that participation is not expected to be high which renders it pretty pointless especially if it's rapid flow testing given it's inaccuracy.

22 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’d imagine that’ll be the end of it after that then. Especially if they’re in the midst of a vaccination program.

Normally you'd think a one month extension, announced three months in advance, might signal something, but with this lot you just can't tell.

The decision not to change the Christmas restrictions and instead go with "but pleeeeeease" is absolutely shameful. A blind man could see that this is so they can blame a January upsurge on "the people" rather than their own fecklessness.

It never fails to amaze me how many people in the UK voted for this crowd of absolute shysters.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Good article about the new age, hippy bullshit - Neo Nazi - Covid conspiracy crossover

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dpywq/the-new-agers-and-wellness-influencers-lost-to-far-right-covid-conspiracies?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I do think that a load of new age hippy bullshiters being 'surprising' bedfellows with the far right is wrong.  It's not surprising at all.

I have a mate who was sucked into all the David Icke, holistic medicine, anti-vax bullshit a long while ago. It was no surprise to find he was a covid denier. More of a shock was that he has completely swallowed Q-Anon, adenochrome harvesting elite paedophiles, the works. This is a guy who was a regular weed smoking hippy, went on many protests etc with him when we were younger, Iraq war and the like. Now completely worships trump and everything he stands for - pretty much exactly like this article describes. Trump who would cheerfully tear gas him for going on exactly the type of protests we used to go on

Not in Edinburgh, they are adamant schools will be open as normal. I can see an incredibly high level of absence next week though.
There's probably a high absence level already. Admittedly in Glasgow, but my daughter is in S3 and out of over 150 in her year, there are less than 30 in. A lot of them are isolating as close contacts, but she knows of plenty who are being kept off by their parents to try and reduce the chances of them catching anything before Christmas.

The decision not to change the Christmas restrictions and instead go with "but pleeeeeease" is absolutely shameful. A blind man could see that this is so they can blame a January upsurge on "the people" rather than their own fecklessness.

It never fails to amaze me how many people in the UK voted for this crowd of absolute shysters.

It’s exactly that on many aspects but I do think management of the Christmas period has a huge element of damned if they lighten the restrictions and damned if they don’t. It also to an extent gives opportunity for those who endlessly state they want to be treated like grown ups and given some responsibility to manage the risks.

The Tories are an absolute bunch of shysters though. No argument from me on that one.

31 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, super_carson said:
Not in Edinburgh, they are adamant schools will be open as normal. I can see an incredibly high level of absence next week though.

There's probably a high absence level already. Admittedly in Glasgow, but my daughter is in S3 and out of over 150 in her year, there are less than 30 in. A lot of them are isolating as close contacts, but she knows of plenty who are being kept off by their parents to try and reduce the chances of them catching anything before Christmas.

How can anyone say this is less detrimental to education than a blended learning model? And that's even if we do this daft kidding on that the virus doesn't spread in schools ("community transmission" nonsense).

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

How can anyone say this is less detrimental to education than a blended learning model? And that's even if we do this daft kidding on that the virus doesn't spread in schools ("community transmission" nonsense).

I definitely think they need to be looking at the blended model for the jan-april term for s3 and above, especially since they are getting away with not taking exams. The absolute failure from the Scottish Government to properly test and take other very basic steps means we’re going to be suffering this pish for many more months. 

I definitely think they need to be looking at the blended model for the jan-april term for s3 and above, especially since they are getting away with not taking exams. The absolute failure from the Scottish Government to properly test and take other very basic steps means we’re going to be suffering this pish for many more months. 
If that were the case they'll have f**k all chance of schools having SQA supplied assessments being used for evidence - we've had ours for just a week now.

Most schools are planning to carry out the bulk of their assessments in February and March - any move to a blended timetable puts that firmly in the bin.

The decision to cancel N5 exams was way too late - Highers even worse.

The decision should have been made last summer - with assessment materials provided by the start of the October holidays.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's a shame all the folk who made a big song and dance about Sweden have since been banned for one transgression or another and we can't slag them off

There are plenty still around. If you compare them with their neighbours, they made a mess of it, if you compare them with us, there wasn't a huge difference except that their advice was voluntary rather than mandatory, and most businesses like pubs etc were allowed to trickle on throughout under strict rules, though economically they haven't done any better than their neighbours the last time I looked.