Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Tell that to every Government in Europe then (UK included), do you honestly believe that ANY Government is intentionally seeking to destroy their OWN economy and alienate much of their OWN electorate without very good reason ????

if the answer is Yes, then I'd ask WHY ???

They're not alienating the electorate with current policies though. The government's strategy of triangulating every policy measure for public backing, making bullshit claims before shifting the goalposts later when nobody is looking has been tremendously successful. So long as schools remain open and the public get a universal system of The Rules!!!!!!1111!!! in order to blame/philpy each other for not following them then governments cannot fail.

This applies to Johnson's government which has made an arse of things by every objective measure possible and yet hasn't faced a dent in party support. The reality that this strategy has led to disastrous outcomes all round, will only prolong this utter shite in 2021 and will have to be paid off decades down the line is neither UK Government's political concern, but it should be a crucial part of the debate.

Edited by vikingTON

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Tell that to every Government in Europe then (UK included), do you honestly believe that ANY Government is intentionally seeking to destroy their OWN economy and alienate much of their OWN electorate without very good reason ????

if the answer is Yes, then I'd ask WHY ???

This argument falls down when you consider that most European Governments got as much of their economies etc going again ASAP, and had a lot more 'normality' in the Summer and Autumn for their citizens than we did here.

Seeing as this is a football forum, we can also look at how many countries in Europe also had thousands of spectators inside football stadia as well for a while, whilst we've continually baulked at allowing any more than 300 fans in to stadiums capable of holding tens of thousands.

Despite the differences in approaches, everyone is pretty much in the same position right now. Though few, if any, have endured such a miserably long list of "can't do's" and restrictions along the way.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This argument falls down when you consider that most European Governments got as much of their economies etc going again ASAP, and had a lot more 'normality' in the Summer and Autumn for their citizens than we did here.

Some did and some didn't but by the same token we were back to near normality ourselves over much of the Summer months.

Ultimately it's the virus that calls the shots..........

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Shame on me for attempting to engage idiots, again.............

The only idiot here is the one claiming "we were back to near normality" in the Summer.

Yes we had less retrictions in place but there was nothing remotely normal about the summer.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Some did and some didn't but by the same token we were back to near normality ourselves over much of the Summer months.

I can't think of anything other than social distancing that was odd about this summer other than working from home. I agree suppression was good. But suppression is no good on its own now we have a vaccine we need to be jabbing folk like f**k, which will be harder if NHS dental practices are back to normal as in Fife there was a lot of their staff used.

30 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Can still use NHS clinicians, im talking about oversight and logistics of it, the amount of chopping and changing which is occurring particularly in NHS GGC is staggering, ive seen evidence of plans changing twice within an hour at some points. But hey you’ve got all the insight apparently. 

It's natural that there's a lot of last minute changes, health authorities in England are talking about getting less than 24 hours notice of supplies arriving. How do you issue appointments in that time frame? I just don't go along with the Daily Mail answer to all complex problems, get the bleedin army in. Get the people used to organising and performing a very similar task to do their work, and if and when they need help upscaling it, let them have it. In a month or so supplies will hopefully arrive on a reliable basis they can plan for, in the meantime I wish everyone would stop flapping their hands in a panic.

We were never near normality at any point. There's always been restrictions on how many folk you can meet up with/have in your house. Weddings and funerals have had their numbers curtailed for months. People who work in offices haven't been there since March. Gyms and leisure centres were still closed in the summer and didn't reopen until September. There's never been any concerts or gigs. The vast majority of sports fans have been nowhere near stadiums (granted football wasn't on during the summer). People did go to beaches, parks etc. when the weather was nice but the media spent the entire summer slaughtering those who did so.

What we had in the summer is much, much better than we've had it recently but it was absolutely nowhere near normality.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

20201226_211129.jpg.17525451d54dc67f5fe9b6f12d6813a2.jpg

Interesting to see how this table looks in a month's time

Worrying that it's such a limited list of countries. Scotland should be at 150,000 by the end of the 3 week lockdown, provided that the Oxford vaccine is approved.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Worrying that it's such a limited list of countries. Scotland should be at 150,000 by the end of the 3 week lockdown, provided that the Oxford vaccine is approved.

Good few European countries starting tomorrow. Hungary started today I believe. 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

in the meantime I wish everyone would stop flapping their hands in a panic.

As opposed to the SG, which decided to punt Golspie and Lybster into full lockdown for three weeks off the back of *sixteen cases* of a more infectious strain in the entire country.

'Only rational response' I'm sure.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

As opposed to the SG, which decided to punt Golspie and Lybster into full lockdown for three weeks off the back of *sixteen cases* of a more infectious strain in the entire country.

If it does swiftly spread through the country and we started getting the thousand plus/100,000 they're getting in the South, you'd be the first to squeal about it if they had delayed.

Edited by welshbairn

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Fucking hell. That's the worst post I've seen on this thread in quite some time. 

'Near normality' in the summer. When the f**k have we been at near normality in the summer?! 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it does swiftly spread through the country and we started getting the thousand plus/100,000 they're getting in the South, you'd be the first to squeal about it if they had delayed.

No contest I see to the charge that the SG are in fact the only ones "flapping their hands in a panic" right now then. Gutted for you.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Fucking hell. That's the worst post I've seen on this thread in quite some time. 

'Near normality' in the summer. When the f**k have we been at near normality in the summer?! 

The scariest thing about that attitude is you could run a national poll and a majority would be in agreement.

We will have limits on everything we can do forever if our compliant populace have their way, comatose on the couch with a leg rest out watching Strictly Pop X Celebrity to save Christmas for the weans.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

No contest I see to the charge that the SG are in fact the only ones "flapping their hands in a panic" right now then. Gutted for you.

"Lock up anyone old and/or fat and the children and we can be back to normal." Perfectly calm attitude from you, just as we've started getting a vaccine roll out.